WeatherCat > WeatherCat Integration

CWOP Under Construction

(1/3) > >>

Blicj11:
Today I tried to check out the quality control section of my CWOP account and discovered some Holiday traffic jams there, but glad to know he is updating something.

elagache:
Dear Blick and WeatherCat data submission junkies,

--- Quote from: Blicj11 on December 25, 2017, 08:15:13 AM ---Today I tried to check out the quality control section of my CWOP account and discovered some Holiday traffic jams there, but glad to know he is updating something.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the pointer.  I'm also glad to see that CWOP is getting a much overdue upgrade.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Felix:
I hope you're correct Edouard and the the algorithms are being 'upgraded' to recognize that many personal weather stations are reporting microclime data which is different from the surrounding area. The differences (from the weighted averages) don't necessarily mean the station's sensors are incorrect.

Blicj11:
You are dead on, Felix. I have never been able to pass CWOP quality checks for air pressure readings, but I am being compared to an airport three counties away that is 4,000 feet lower and sitting in a valley than my mountain top home.

elagache:
Dear Felix, Blick, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

--- Quote from: Felix on December 27, 2017, 10:50:36 AM ---I hope you're correct Edouard and the the algorithms are being 'upgraded' to recognize that many personal weather stations are reporting microclime data which is different from the surrounding area. The differences (from the weighted averages) don't necessarily mean the station's sensors are incorrect.

--- End quote ---

I agree with your gripe, but I suspect the upgrades are simply to improve capacity and performance.  I'm not sure there is much of anything that can be done to improve the assessment of the station's purported data accuracy.  Honestly, I wonder if it is intended for anyone outside of the station owners themselves and is intended to motivate them to upgrade their equipment if possible.  Given that plenty of inexpensive stations can upload to CWOP, some encouragement to get a better quality station certainly is desirable in order to improve the overall quality of the data.

The 64-dollar question is whether or not researchers look at those assessments when deciding if the data is worth using for their research activities.  If they are really interested in a location where you happen to have a weather station and you have a top quality station like Davis - I think a researcher will at least look at the data you are sending.  If the data looks of good quality (sent very regularly, extremely consistent with the weather expected at the time, etc.) I think researchers will use your data no matter what the CWOP assessment of your station turns out to be.

At least that is what I hope!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version