Author Topic: Highlights from Northern California's 2015-16 rainy season  (Read 25734 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Highlights from Northern California's 2015-16 rainy season
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 05:01:33 PM »
Wish I could send some of the following out your way:
...PERIODS OF HEAVY RAIN EXPECTED ACROSS AREAS ALONG AND WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER... .A STALLED FRONT WILL BRING PERIODS OF HEAVY RAIN TO EAST ARKANSAS...THE MISSOURI BOOTHEEL...EXTREME WEST TENNESSEE...AND PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI THROUGH AT LEAST LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON. SEVERAL INCHES OF RAIN ARE EXPECTED WHICH WILL LIKELY
We've had ~2.2 inches by 11am. At least it's not thunderstorms and heavy.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
More rain and more damage (Re: Northern CA's 2015-16 rainy season)
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2016, 12:00:11 AM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the California water spigot.

Well, the spigot remains on with another series of very wet storm marching one after the other.  There have been mudslides a few miles from here and I took this picture of a fence that had been blown down:

There is a report of a sinkhole on a nearby road and flooding in a low-lying shopping center.  At home, the soil is getting as saturated as it normally can get but no signs of flooding. 

We have received 3.95" (100 mm) of rain since Wednesday.  We may get a little more overnight.  However, it is supposed stop raining for the entire work-week.  That will allow for repairs and for rivers and streams to recede.  However, the long range models are hinting at more rain starting the following week.  We'll see . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

;) . . . . P.S. Ya' know, I think those folks with that broken fence are facing a crisis.  I think this year they are really going to have to take down their Christmas lights! . . . . .  [biggrin]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: More rain and more damage (Re: Northern CA's 2015-16 rainy season)
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2016, 02:00:20 PM »
;) . . . . P.S. Ya' know, I think those folks with that broken fence are facing a crisis.  I think this year they are really going to have to take down their Christmas lights! . . . . .  [biggrin]

Ha ha ha! Thanks for the laugh.

It's snowing here today and tomorrow, so keep sending those storms eastward Edouard!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Rain after 16 days. (Re: Northern CA's 2015-16 rainy season.)
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »
Dear WeatherCat rain dancers,

It has only been 16 days since our last significant rainfall, but it felt more like a month.  Oddly this is a storm spinning off of southern California that has brought us rain.  Normally we get storms traveling from north to south.  We have gotten 0.54" (13.7mm).  It isn't a lot but is double what was forecast and we might pick up a little more before the storm ends.  It is enough to wet the ground and allow me to stop watering once more.

With the rain came good news and bad.  The good news came in the form of blooming wild-flowers:

This California poppy is in some rocky soil that prevents the grass from growing so it is doing very well at the moment.  On the other hand this grass does appear to be disturbed:

If you look carefully, this region of falling grass starts and ends abruptly before the bottom of the hill is reached.  While it might be caused by an animal (or juvenile delinquent,) there are no tracks or other signs indicating something traveled to the fallen grass.  There were a number of such regions some as far as 20 feet away from the road and once more no breaks in the grasses leading to regions.

On the other hand, gophers have been very active in the region because this is a electrical utility right of way that remains wild as a result.  Those burrows would of course provide a perfect "drain" for rainwater.  It appears to me like this is the beginning of significant slide activity on this hill.  Since at the base of this hill is a road, residents might soon be inconvenienced by having this road at least partially blocked.

The "joys" of living in a place were either it is a drought or a flood . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Bluebonnets
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2016, 10:58:19 PM »
Early spring rains brought out the Texas State flower (illegal to pick on public grounds).

Found some weeds growing amongst the Bluebonnets :)
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2016, 11:56:28 PM »
Great looking weeds!!

In 1981, my first job out of uni was in Houston. I worked with a colleague whose parents came from Iran. He was new to Texas and he failed to show up for work on the Monday following our first week. He had been arrested and put in jail for picking bluebonnets next to the highway on his way to Austin for the weekend.

Don't mess with Texas.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2016, 12:56:41 AM »
OK, dfw, that's not fair! Who could possibly top those adorable kids with any kind of "weather"!!!

edouard, I see rice and wheat looking like that after a strong thunderstorm. Usually, a heavy downpour is accompanied by some fairly strong downdrafts. That's why most pilots won't land while a thunderstorm over an airport or the approach to the runway. Those types of storms usually move fairly fast, you should have planned on them being where you intend to land at your ETA and have some extra fuel to hold at a nice safe distance while enjoying the "light show".

Another possibility for the 'lazy' grass could be some of those California leprechauns, they don't usually leave foot prints and are known to hop long distances.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2016, 06:23:07 AM »
Nice camera work, Pilot! Having excellent subjects always helps, but seriously? good job!

You know, in Texas even the weeds are adorable!

[cheers1]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Very strange. (Re: Northern CA's 2015-16 rainy season)
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2016, 10:05:15 PM »
Dear dfw, Blick, X-Air, Herb, and WeatherCat gardeners, . . .

Early spring rains brought out the Texas State flower (illegal to pick on public grounds).

Thanks for the nice photo!

Found some weeds growing amongst the Bluebonnets :)

Cute!  :)

;) . . . Of course I could make a crass remark about using Roundup! . . .  [lol2]

edouard, I see rice and wheat looking like that after a strong thunderstorm.

That isn't a bad guess but it was a very weak storm with essentially no wind, so that cannot be the cause.  I went by the area and look another look.  Some of the depressions look like they have been made by deer moving around.  There is faint paths leading in and out.  However, others like the one I photographed are too steep for a dear to have made.  Still it does appear to have been made by an object moving along the road rather than the earth sliding down.

Another possibility for the 'lazy' grass could be some of those California leprechauns, they don't usually leave foot prints and are known to hop long distances.

Well, it is either them leprechauns or d'em dreaded gremlins!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Rainfall
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2016, 04:43:30 AM »
Got this picture out the front windshield on our way home today. Five minutes later, we were in our garage and the hail started. Peak rain rate was 16+ inches per hour. Whoa!
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2016, 02:25:15 PM »
Whoa is correct!
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2016, 02:36:39 PM »
Good thing that 'tip-bucket' bearing is water-cooled! [tup] Not sure that funnel would be able to handle that rate for very long, either! Hope the hail didn't bend any of those bird pokers! [rolleyes2]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Great escape! (Re: Rainfall)
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2016, 11:50:18 PM »
Dear dfw, Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat "escape artists, "

Got this picture out the front windshield on our way home today. Five minutes later, we were in our garage and the hail started. Peak rain rate was 16+ inches per hour. Whoa!

Indeed glad you made it home!  I sure hope you have a strong roof!

Cheers, Edouard

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2016, 03:56:54 AM »
Lot's of damage around Dallas from that storm.

Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2016, 04:39:33 AM »
This is one of the reasons that we moved out of Texas 8 years ago. We loved living there and raising our family there. But honestly, the weather did us in. We lived there for almost 30 years. During that time we had two hurricanes, one tropical storm, too many floods to count and snow on one Christmas Eve. The humidity was what finally drove us out after we got our youngest off to uni. My wife says we traded 8 months of hot and humid for 8 months of cold and dry and we are thrilled to be here now.
Blick