Author Topic: About the iOS App  (Read 104380 times)

Blades-Storm

• Gentle Breeze
    • INEWSOUT267
  • Station Details: I have a Weatherwise Pro WS-3081, Solar powered transmitter with Lux and UV sensors. I have an iMac 24-inch 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM And Running Mac OS 10.9
Re: About the iOS App
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2013, 04:52:41 AM »
I downloaded it to works very well dam i love the weather cat software. I am so glad I made the move to weather cat keep up the gr8 work [cheers1] 
Blades Storm
       AKA Des
(Excuse the Typos)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »
I have two questions about the settings for Current conditions, Good comms, Bad comms and Sensor error.
  • Turning on Current conditions does not result in any date being shown by the app. What does this setting do?
  • The settings for Good comms, Bad comms and Sensor error are not sticky. You have to turn them on every time you use the app. Is this a bug or a feature?
Thanks.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2013, 05:28:24 PM »
Hi Blickj11,
with regards to Current conditions take a look at this post: http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=191.msg1947#msg1947
Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2013, 05:42:36 PM »
Thanks Reinhard!

That takes care of question 1.

Anybody know anything about question 2?
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Definitely reproducible (Re: About the iOS App)
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2013, 09:28:43 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat iOS users,

I have two one questions about the settings for Current conditions, Good comms, Bad comms and Sensor error.
  • The settings for Good comms, Bad comms and Sensor error are not sticky. You have to turn them on every time you use the app. Is this a bug or a feature?
Thanks.

Well, . . . . . I can confirm that those are definitely not sticky.  Restart the App and they disappear.  Hard to imagine why that would be a feature, but . . . . . oh well!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
I'll look into this "non-skickiness". My hunch is that it's a "feature".

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »
Good comms, Bad comms, and Sensor error

The problem of forgetting this selections was eliminated starting with iOS 6. If you select to show them, they should stay when you go to the Home page and return.

However, if you kill WeatherCat in the background, something that you would not normally need to do, the selections will be forgotten. To make the selections stick even when the App is killed in the background, show all three.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »
Ranger Rick:

Thanks for the further clarification. I have verified that they stay sticky until The Kill in iOS 7.1.1.
Blick

boracay

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW6305
    • IMALAY2
  • Station Details: boracay island, philippines
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2014, 06:54:20 AM »
ok, i have just paid for BOTH ipad and iPhone versions of weathercat app.

im puzzled.
why can i show gauges in the ipad version (perfect), but NOT in the iPhone version (sigh)???

I am only interested in looking briefly each morning, or sometime throughout the day at the WIND direction, and WIND speed. nothing more.
On the ipad screen, i have 2 LARGE gauges. just perfect. Simple as.

on the iPhone version all i want to see is 2 LARGE gauges. that too would be just perfect. Simple as.

developer?
can we get gauges please on iPhone version?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Second the motion . . .(Re: About the iOS App)
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2014, 09:10:31 PM »
Dear boracay, Grand, and WeatherCat iOS fans,

ok, i have just paid for BOTH ipad and iPhone versions of weathercat app.

Well, you can only pay for the iPad app.  The iPhone version is free.

developer?
can we get gauges please on iPhone version?

I don't have the same motivations, but I now have an iPhone 6 and that has a lot more real-estate.  My sister just received her iPhone 6 plus "phabet" and that has even more display space.

I have a feeling Apple has created a, now inappropriate, divide between iPads and iPhones.  There are programs which at first only made sense on the iPad, but today would look great on an iPhone 6 or 6 plus.

So I don't know if Grand even has the required infrastructure from Apple, and it would make the name WeatherCatPad is smidge off.  Nonetheless, if Grand could adapt WeatherCatPad to run on the iPhone 6, I would gladly pay for it.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2014, 09:35:04 PM »
So I don't know if Grand even has the required infrastructure from Apple, and it would make the name WeatherCatPad is smidge off.  Nonetheless, if Grand could adapt WeatherCatPad to run on the iPhone 6, I would gladly pay for it.

I like your thinking -- that is a great idea, but I'm not sure how to package it as a product. Do I update the current iPhone app to have two faces: the current interface for iPhones 4 & 5 and another, pad-like interface for iPhone 6? The iPad version will only work on the iPad, that's an Apple constraint.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
That's what was afriaid of. (Re: About the iOS App)
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
Dear Grand and iOS "phabet" fans,

I like your thinking -- that is a great idea, but I'm not sure how to package it as a product. Do I update the current iPhone app to have two faces: the current interface for iPhones 4 & 5 and another, pad-like interface for iPhone 6? The iPad version will only work on the iPad, that's an Apple constraint.

That's what I was afraid of.  Grand, you cannot be the only developer facing this problem.  Maybe the best thing do to is try to diplomatically suggest to Apple that something needs to be revised here.  Trying to hack your way out of this false dichotomy may be more trouble than it is worth.

Oh well, . . .

Cheers, Edouard

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »
That's what I was afraid of.  Grand, you cannot be the only developer facing this problem.  Maybe the best thing do to is try to diplomatically suggest to Apple that something needs to be revised here.  Trying to hack your way out of this false dichotomy may be more trouble than it is worth.

To be fair to Apple, they want iOS developers to develop "universal" apps that will run on iPhone and iPad. A universal app displays the appropriate format for the device. Apps like this have a little "+" near the download button. WeatherCat was first released before the universal app capability was available. Hence, it's divergent path.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Any hope of "morphing" WeatherCatPad? (Re: About the iOS App)
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2014, 09:52:58 PM »
Dear Grand and WeatherCat iOS fans,

To be fair to Apple, they want iOS developers to develop "universal" apps that will run on iPhone and iPad. A universal app displays the appropriate format for the device. Apps like this have a little "+" near the download button. WeatherCat was first released before the universal app capability was available. Hence, it's divergent path.

Well okay, but that isn't exactly what I was thinking about either.  There may be some iOS apps that can run only on iPhone 6 or even only iPhone 6 plus.  What I was thinking about was Apple acknowledging the "phabet" phenomena so that developers would create applications that need sufficient screen real-estate and not have to have two versions: one for the iPhone 6 plus and another for the iPad.

Even so, I suppose the question could be asked: is there any chance that you could "morph" WeatherCatPad to run on the Phone 6 or 6 plus without a lot of horrible recoding?

Curious minds would like to know!  [bounce]

boracay

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW6305
    • IMALAY2
  • Station Details: boracay island, philippines
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2014, 08:44:54 AM »
please morph. yes please please
merry xmas