Author Topic: Hello from near Cambridge, United Kingdom  (Read 2659 times)

kenkelso

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7079
    • ICAMBSC01
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Hello from near Cambridge, United Kingdom
« on: February 07, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »
My main interest in the weather is as a private pilot. We have an airstrip and a vintage DeHavilland Chipmunk here on our farm and the Davis Vantage Pro 2 helps us assess the flying conditions. We update the weather on our website every 2 minutes so if we are returning from a flying trip somewhere we know what it's like back at base.

I installed the Davis back in 2006 and used WeatherLink until 2014 when I started with WeatherCAT which is far superior.

Ken

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Hello from near Cambridge, United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »
Welcome aboard the WeatherCat Forum, Ken. Great photo, thanks for sharing.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Hello from near Cambridge, United Kingdom)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:09:54 AM »
Dear Ken, Blick, and WeatherCat welcome wagon, . . .

Once more welcome Ken to the WeatherCat forum!  ThU32:-)

My main interest in the weather is as a private pilot. We have an airstrip and a vintage DeHavilland Chipmunk here on our farm and the Davis Vantage Pro 2 helps us assess the flying conditions. We update the weather on our website every 2 minutes so if we are returning from a flying trip somewhere we know what it's like back at base.

Well now, you'll find that you aren't the only pilot (active or retired) on this forum.  I'm surprised they haven't jump in just yet, but perhaps they are flying around somewhere and haven't had time to hand and check the forum lately.

I installed the Davis back in 2006 and used WeatherLink until 2014 when I started with WeatherCAT which is far superior.

You know what, I think you'll find everyone on this forum in unanimous agreement on that observation!  ThU5:-)

Once more welcome and thank you for your contribution to the WeatherCat community!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 02:40:28 AM »
Welcome AboaRd, Ken!

Nice looking aircraft! I've only flown one piston powered aircraft! [blush] that was many years ago at the beginning of flight training with the United States Aerospace Force! But I did enjoy flying with four props out on the wings of a C-130! All the rest of my flying was done with the 'props' buried in the front of the cowling. [lol]

If I remember correctly, that big vertical thing at the rear is a rudder. Hardly ever used that thing except for manual takeoffs and landings! The rest of the time, the yaw damper controlled it!  [rolleyes2] Is the fairing at the wing/fuselage original or added later for aerodynamic efficiency?

Spent quite a few days in Cambridge during layovers on trips to Europe when we used EGSS! I'm sure you know how crowded EGLL is! Bet you avoid that place like the plague!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

kenkelso

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7079
    • ICAMBSC01
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
@xairbusdriver

The fairing is original, DeHavilland Canada did a great job on the design. The Chipmunk is often referred to as the "poor mans Spitfire" because of it's lovely handling qualities.

You are right, the airspace south of here is pretty crowded.

Ken

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 05:16:05 PM »
The Chipmunk is often referred to as the "poor mans Spitfire"
It looks like they simply stole the rudder from that legendary fighter! [lol] And it certainly had the same wind/fuselage streamlining. ThU32:-)

No matter how rich a plane owner may have been, he is often much poorer, financially, with ownership! [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system