Author Topic: Weathercloud  (Read 35880 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Weathercloud
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2015, 03:26:50 PM »
I shoulda known Stu already had this covered [cheer] for those lazy coders at WU. [rolleyes2] OK, they aren't as lazy as me. [blush] And they probably have more to do than worry about missing data that might very well be a problem at the sharers end.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2015, 04:02:15 PM »
Weathercloud has just added a couple of nice improvements in their latest iteration.

http://blog.weathercloud.net/?p=1731
Blick

awilltx

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »
I'm starting to like Weathercloud more and more. They are certainly more reliable than WU and the interface is not to bad to boot.

Good for them AND us!

Alan

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2015, 07:19:03 PM »
Thanks Blick,

I got an email from them, too. I like those improvements, and I like the way they display our weather data.  :)

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2015, 11:56:51 PM »
Reinhard, I agree. Version 1.0 wasn't much to shout about, but they are becoming one of my favourites. They have a really simple, but elegant interface.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2016, 07:53:07 PM »
Got another email from WeatherCloud touting it's ?eta 6 build. All I could see was no data from my uploads, a confusing "Report" showing weird temps, and a non-operational "Plots" that ran for over 30 minutes without ever showing anything. A "work in progress" alright. ;)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
Except for the fact that Weathercloud does not automatically support plotting in Safari, I am really impressed with their site. In just two years, they have picked up more than 7,000 personal weather stations, have continually improved their graphics and now they have made a nice improvement to their server speed. Their graphics are clean and simple and much improved over their first version.

Unfortunately, if you use Safari, you have to make a manual change to the date range when you want to display a plot. Their default date ranges use a dash for the separator and Safari requires a slash. For example, if you manually change the date from 2016-07-01 to 2017/07/01, the plot displays properly in Safari. They are trying to find a way to fix this without undoing how they support PC users.

I congratulate them on their efforts to improve their service.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2016, 05:44:04 PM »
Nice graphics, faster servers, more stations are all nice, but unless the site is functional it will never be complete nor successful.
if you use Safari, you have to make a manual change to the date range when you want to display a plot.
Yes, that does work. But it should be a matter for their server to figure out, not something the user must modify. Not sure how they can blame Safari, it's just one browser that uses the WebKit engine. That's just a very important function of designing the user interface! [removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site] No matter what he back end language, user inputs should be able to consider any 'normal' format. And it's even more unjustifiable when you provide a 'placeholder' showing a format hat doesn't work!

One "help" might be to put that "clue" on the Plots page! At a minimum, the acceptable formats should be displayed on the page! ("YYYY/MM/DD", "YYYY-MM-DD", " :)/ 8)/ ;D",etc.) There are probably only about two dozen REGEX scripts already available for any language running on the server and certainly on the client machine via javascript. [banghead] This is just part of what Edouad has been talking about.

How did you find out about that? Don't tell me you found it in the "manual"! [rolleyes2]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:52:26 PM by xairbusdriver »

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2016, 11:54:21 AM »
I can't complain about Weathercloud, in the contrary I am impressed about them! Not one single item on their site that does not work as it should, at least here on my side.

[tup]
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »
So you don't need to reformat the dates to get a plot to work with Safari? Or Firefox? ;D

Here are some details I've found. The date fields all have html form code similar to this:
Code: [Select]
<input id="plot-select-date-start" type="date"
min='2016-02-01' max='2016-07-02' value="2016-07-02"
style="width:98%;"></input>
What appears in the field when you first open the page is the "value" attribute. It is obviously created, probably on the server (likely php) as the current date. Granted, there is a tremendous amount of javascript and it could be done that way. The point is, the 'format' is displayed with "-" as the 'correct/appropriate/approved' separator for the year, month and day of the month. This html is what is sent to every browser (although I can't currently see the source in an iPhone). There is even this in the <head> area:
Code: [Select]
<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes">That implies, to me, that WeatherCloud does not need/use a separate "mobile site" (because it doesn't need to, all css is likely built for small screens first, so it can easily scale to any size window/hardware).

However, there is still some "browser sniffing" because Opera changes the display of the date input "value" as seen in the browser. I don't see any user settings in that app, so I can only assume that one of the dozens of javascripts does this only in Opera (or other browser I haven't checked).
In Opera (which now also uses Web Kit) the date is formatted with "/" instead of "-".

My point is, proper coding should be used to protect the site from code injection to help prevent the site from being hacked. I will assume Weather Cloud does that. There are already methods, in every coding language I've ever heard of, that provide that code. This tangentially protects the user/viewer from visiting a 'dangerous' (phishing, malware downloading, etc.) site.

But "proper" coding also checks for properly formatted data. Phone numbers may need to allow non-USA numbers. Is it allows to have the area code surrounded by "(" and ")"? Are the numbers allowed to use "." or only "-" to separate the area code, prefix and last four numbers? Etc., etc., etc. Additionally, "allowing" different input of the data, doesn't mean that its "stored" format has to be the same.

The least a site can do, if only one format is allowed, is to display that format so it can be seen even as the user is entering the data. Another way is to select the part of the data that the user wants to edit. In this case, Opera automatically highlights the year, month or day when the user clicks in any of those areas. FF and Safari just place the cursor where the user clicks. I suspect this is simply different levels of support for HTML5. Opera also provides a mini-calendar to select the entire date; that's a function of the new possible capabilities of HTML5.

I'm not knocking WeatherCloud's improvements, I just think they seem to be more concerned about "look" than "feel". Apparently others have figured out how to 'make' the plots to work, despite no visible info from WeatherCloud. Frankly, blaming the problem on "PC-centric coding" is disingenuous and misleading. :)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2016, 05:21:58 PM »
Hello xairbusdriver,

I am afraid I cannot follow . . .

When I open my station within Weathercloud I do have nothing to reformat or similar actions (tested with Safari, Chrome, Firefox): Sign in, choose my station, let me show all my data how I want it to be presented to me.

You talk about plotting, do you mean what I do have attached as screenshot?

Cheers,
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2016, 04:04:58 AM »
I'm not referring to how Weather Cloud displays your regularly reported data.

Here's the "Plot" icon that is only available after you have logged in.
[removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]
I made the window vary narrow so you can see the whole nav/menu bar.
When the window is wider, the icons also have text labels next to them.

This is what I see in Safari and Firefox:
[removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]
If one does not edit the date formatting, the site simply enters an endless loop. [banghead]
If the formatting is changed (each "-" is replaced with "/") the plot proceeds normally. [removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]
Opera, however, automagically displays the dates with "/" so no editing is required. [cheer]

That's why I'm saying this is a browser problem not a hardware (PC vs Mac) problem. In my humble opinion, it is a web coding problem. But I know what my opinion is worth...  [lol]
Hope that helps. BTW, if anyone has a 'trick' or a setting in Safari that fixes this, please post it here. I hav bin rong mor then wonce thiz yeer! [blush]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:52:07 PM by xairbusdriver »

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2016, 06:24:39 PM »
Ok, xair - I think I can follow now...  ;)

You are right, in Safari there is something wrong. But it works good for me in Chrome (my main Browser) as it does in Firefox, too. Because of this little things that are not working in Safari I changed to Chrome a few months ago. There were too much websites that worked flawless with Chrome but not with Safari. ???
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2016, 10:39:02 PM »
You are right
If you don't mind, I'm printing that quotation on a large banner! [cheer] I'll hang it in front of where she uses her computer. Don't worry, I won't give her your location or even your screen name! [lol]

I agree it's frustrating keeping up with which browser can do what. I was attempting to watch a NASA site this morning about Juno (the space craft). There was a nice video that could allow one to click and drag your cursor to see different views... as long as you were using FF or Chrome, but not Safari. Plus, there was audio from somewhere else on the page. The only volume control I could see was on the video. But even after stopping the vid, I could still hear the audio. I did discover, in Safari, I could control-click the tab label and get a "Mute this Tab" option. Unfortunately, as soon as I started the vid, both sound sources started up! Even with two ears, I had trouble understanding both 'conversations'! [banghead]