Author Topic: Weathercloud  (Read 36073 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Weathercloud
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2015, 08:39:17 PM »
Still nothing from WeatherCloud, they must really be busy with the improvements. I do have several requests from a few "ladies" wanting to contact me, and some really enticing offers for some interesting drugs and clothes...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2015, 03:08:17 PM »
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2015, 03:22:29 PM »
Still nothing from WeatherCloud, they must really be busy with the improvements.

If you never heard back from them, email them. They responded to every email I ever sent them. Their latest release is pretty darn good and I like their graphics better than AWEKAS.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2015, 09:36:15 PM »
OK, they just may not like mine: donotspam at ... it's just so easy for people to understand on the phone! [rolleyes2] [lol] I have an entry in 1Password, so I know exactly when I signed up.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2015, 11:49:59 PM »
Yesterday, I sent them a message about not hearing from them. Got a reply this AM that "We inform you that we have activated your account manually." Despite that, I could not sign IN. I used the "forgot password?" function and have not seen a response in the six hours after that. I also used the sign UP page and was told that both my username and email address were already in use... I kinda knew that.

Exactly what is it that the offer that is compelling? ??? They have very few sites in my State or even the surrounding ones, so I think I might be offering something useful. OTOH, I think they provide METAR data from any airport offering that, so there are many within a couple hundred miles of me. [rolleyes2]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2015, 02:02:22 PM »
It usually takes up to 24 hours after activation before you can see it and get into it. After that, send them another email.

I like their graphics. The design is neat, simple and very clean. My thinking on uploading to all the weather sites is: I have the data and am willing to share it if it helps someone who uses that service and wants to know what the weather is doing in someplace other than the airport. Therefore, I upload to all of them.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »
They sent me a simple password that worked. They claim the Comcast is blocking the address they are send the 'acceptance' email to. Of course, it's exactly the same email that they are using to 'explain' the problem. :o At any rate, I used the new p/w and logged in. Immediately went to the Change P/W area and changed it; "Your password change has not been saved." OK, I went back and noticed that my "Profile" was basically empty, so I completed that and it was saved... progress. :)

Went back and successfully changed the p/w. 1Password saved it, also. Logged out. Closed the page/tab. Counted to 16 in hexadecimal. Typed in 'weathercloud.net' and clicked the Sign in button. Allowed 1Password to insert the info (and automatically press the enter button). "You must be some thief! Don't try to fake our system with incorrect usernames and passwords!" The text may have been a bit different, but that was the jist of the red lettered warning.

Knowing that my simple username was correctly entered (I could see that, even without my glasses!), I astutely decided the password (hidden by the dots, of course) was the problem. The whole point of a password manager is to remember, store, and enter these increasingly long and absurdly impossible to remember things for us, so my first solution was to simply copy the p/w from 1Password and paste it into the sign in box. It worked, and why not? [banghead]

1Password as an option to simply insert the info but not virtually click the OK/Enter/Sign in/etc. button. That sometimes has to be done for some sites. Tried that; no change.

Second solution was to pause all blocking done by Ghostery. Some sites like to collect data from all sorts of data aggregators and advertisers always want an eyeball count. It's so nice to feel needed... alas, that didn't help.

The only way I can sign in, which will be only very rarely, I hope, is to copy and paste the password.

I also changed my contact email address to a non-Comcast domain, hopefully, the WeatherCloud can use Apple's system. ::)

I agree that their presentation is nice, if quite large. I suppose everyone but me uses their browsers at full screen... I think Windows tends to do that automatically for all apps, for some reason, never made sense to me. Oh well, enough ranting, and complaining.

Oh, yeah, my data was displayed as close to immediately as possible after entering the WeatherCloud info in WeatherCat! Seems the only thing that you complained about as a minor annoyance has been corrected! [cheer] I think they must be listening to you! ;D And, to be fair, once I 'reminded' them I was trying to share with them, they were quick to respond. I'm just upset about other things, today!! I'll be better after another cup of coffee, I promise! [blush] [coffee]

BTW, I think this will bring up the data for my station: <HLT Station>

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »
Counted to 16 in hexadecimal.

Best line of the day. ⬆️

I use LastPass and it too requires one to copy and paste passwords on a few sites. It's not the end of the world, as we know it (with apologies to R.E.M.).

Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2015, 05:41:03 PM »
It's not the end of the world, as we know it
I guess I can take comfort in that. What this is is called poor UX design, how will the User eXperience your site? It's not the same as UI, the site is pleasing enough and neat. Passwords are a part of our lives, failing to make it as convenient as possible is simply a failure to know what happens to your users when they visit. Making things "secure" is not an excuse for poor planning and design criteria. Fortunately, I will rarely, if ever, again, be needing to 'log in'.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2015, 12:17:33 AM »
Has anyone added weathercloud info to your web site? The Leuven template has a "Partnership" section that lists over a dozen places we can share weather data. Most have descriptions. weathercloud doesn't. Nor does Anything Weather or United States Weather Group. Since I'm now sharing at weathercloud, I'd like to add a description of them. I have a link to their "About us" page, but I don't want to duplicate (plagiarize?) that. I'm just wondering if anyone here has created any description.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2015, 01:22:59 AM »
This is what I have on my page:

Weathercloud is a real-time weather social network formed by more than 4,500 weather observers from around the world. It is based in the European Union, is available in 10 languages, including English, and has very nice graphics. This data is updated every 10 minutes.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2015, 02:04:01 AM »
 Consice, useful, look for it soon on a site near you! :D

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2015, 01:59:16 AM »
I hadn't checked email for several hours this afternoon, and when I did, I noticed a message from WU (4:20pm) saying my data was now back online. OK. Then I noticed I had an earlier message from them (3:20pm) saying they had not received any data for two hours! Really?! :o Visiting my data on their site, I can see no break in the history, at least no flat lines or breaks in the graphed lines. ???

As best I can tell from looking at the 5_WeatherCatData.cat file, there is a constant stream of data from, I assume, the Console/ISS.

I think this may be a buffer problem at WU. They seem to have finally collected the data and computed the graphs with something! [rolleyes2] Maybe even a 'notification' glitch? Just "wundering". :P

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2015, 08:28:42 AM »
To my knowledge, WU is the only service that uploads your historical data after re-establishing a connection. Hence, you see no break in the data.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2015, 10:51:23 AM »
Yes, if WeatherCat can't contact the WU server (for whatever reason), it will upload the missing data when it re-establishes contact. Similar operation for when WeatherCat starts up - it'll upload data to fill the hole for the period it wasn't running.

There's a checkbox in the Wunderground preferences (upload historical data).