Author Topic: Master toggle on an FTP account?  (Read 2903 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Master toggle on an FTP account?
« on: July 06, 2015, 11:05:54 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,

I'm in one of those minor annoyances that I thought I would mention to see if it is worth improving the current setup.  GoDaddy is having FTP "issuez" with my account.  So I turned off the website uploads and have been checking to if the service returns.  However, I have been still getting FTP upload efforts.  I had forgotten that some of the FTP Additional Files also upload to my GoDaddy account.  These also can be turned off but one at a time.

In my case, there are only two additional files that get uploaded to GoDaddy, so no big deal.  FTP outages are infrequent and I don't know how many people are using the FTP Additional Files feature anyway.  Is there really much of a need for some sort of a "master toggle" to shut off all FTP activity to your main FTP host?  I'm guessing not really, but I thought I would toss it out to get some opinions.

Cheers, Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Master toggle on an FTP account?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
Hi Edouard
 Me too GoDaddy has been down since 8:12 AM here and all they can tel me is they are working on getting it fixed bummer [banghead] 

Awekas account is also upload to my Ftp so my data isn't getting to them either [banghead]

cheers

[cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 05:18:10 AM »
I don't know how many people are using the FTP Additional Files feature anyway.

I don't use GoDaddy but I do use the WeatherCat FTP Additional Files feature. I think it is easy enough to edit the additional files preferences window and simply disable the upload. I know it is one at a time, but I only have 3 so I don't think the current setup is a problem. Takes all of 15 seconds.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 06:12:22 PM »
Added as a feature request, thanks  [tup]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Howdy Stu, Randall, Blick, and WeatherCat web spinners, . . . .

Added as a feature request, thanks  [tup]

Well, thanks Stu for adding it to the feature list.  I suppose adding to the list of possible features is useful because it might stimulate some other clever ideas.  However, I think the consensus is that this is at best an extremely low-priority item.  Still, maybe the user-interface could be shuffled a bit to make this possible without too much work on your part and hopefully making it easier for WeatherCat users to setup and maintain their web page services.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

awilltx

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
I use the "additional files" feature on my site (3 files), along with the main FTP and banner uploads. The few times I have had FTP upload issues with my hosting provider, it would have been nice to just have one button to shut everything off until the issue was corrected instead of having to remember to turn them all back on again. No big deal, but it would be a nice feature.

Happy and healthy FTP'ing,

Alan