Author Topic: Moods of the sky behind our weather instruments 2017-18  (Read 17375 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Smoky sunrise in California (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2018, 11:43:31 PM »
Dear WeatherCat climate photo-journalists,

Smoke from the Mendocino Complex fires is being blown over the San Francisco Bay Area and I was able to take this surreal photo of the sky around my anemometer this morning:

The smoke has been so heavy that is greatly reduced the daytime temperatures.  Yesterday's high was: 92˚ F (33.3˚ C)  Today has reached only 76˚F (24.4˚ C) and clearly won't top 80˚ F.

The weather is indeed very different and strange this summer.  One cannot be too sure what to expect day to day.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Moods of the sky behind our weather instruments 2017-18
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2018, 06:46:02 AM »
Cool photo, Edouard. We are approximately 835 miles east and slightly north of the Mendocinco Complex fires, with three significant mountain ranges between us and we are socked in with smoke from those fires. Have been for a week. Weather is a powerful thing and these fires are incredibly destructive
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Wow! Smoke going a long way! (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2018, 10:22:35 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat observers of the power of nature, . . .

Cool photo, Edouard. We are approximately 835 miles east and slightly north of the Mendocinco Complex fires, with three significant mountain ranges between us and we are socked in with smoke from those fires. Have been for a week. Weather is a powerful thing and these fires are incredibly destructive

Wow!  I didn't think the smoke could travel that far.  It isn't easy to spot, but you can see the smoke moving into Utah on the Western US infrared satellite image.  As you say, we should always respect the power of mother nature!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Colorful stratus . . . . (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2018, 11:15:00 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans of the sky's many colorful moods,

Late summer isn't a particularly good time for me to capture colorful cloud formations, but we are seeing stronger shifts between high and low pressures centers than normally happen in late summer.  Yesterday a low pressure was departing to the North while high pressure was building in from the South.  That drove the marine layer in more energetically than usual and produced this colorful effect round about sunset:

Fog is what makes the San Francisco Bay area so special, so I'm always happy to see it make an appearance.  It isn't as common as it once was.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Colorful marine layer! (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . . . .

The September weather in Northern California has been thus far dominated by troughs of low pressure.  As a result the onshore flow has been unusually strong and the marine layer is intruding much further than you would expect during what is still late Summer.  This morning the combination of fog and unusually strong winds kicked up the marine layer into this colorful display just as the sun was rising:

With the equinox less than a week away the weather is definitely starting to show signs of the changing seasons.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2018, 05:55:49 PM »
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood! 20 inches of snow on the ground, none of it in my radiant-heated-driveway.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2018, 06:21:12 PM »
Beautiful indeed! I'll refer to this post whenever I want to remember what snow should look like! You may remember that we don't allow that stuff where we live. >:( Yours probably always looks clean unlike what usually happens in the urban settings. :)

Of course, all inquiring minds want to know the purpose of the little box near the right-hand edge of the image. Perhaps where you put the Radium that heats the driveway and lets you keep that cool tan throughout the year?! 8) :o [sun3]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Beautiful! Thanks! (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2017-18)
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2018, 09:48:15 PM »
Dear Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat admirers of the neighborhood,

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood! 20 inches of snow on the ground, none of it in my radiant-heated-driveway.

Beautiful scene!   :)  Thanks for sharing!  ThU32:-)  Although your ISS does look rather frigid!  [freeze]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2018, 10:34:09 AM »
Of course, all inquiring minds want to know the purpose of the little box near the right-hand edge of the image. Perhaps where you put the Radium that heats the driveway and lets you keep that cool tan throughout the year?! 8) :o [sun3]

Hahaha. That empty potato salad container is just covering up the sensor in the driveway that automatically turns on the radiant heat. This time of year, I keep the sensor covered up to avoid false positives and wasted propane.
Blick