Author Topic: Edouard's Spider-battle featured in Davis weather eNews 2012-June issue ...  (Read 5542 times)

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
Congratulations, Edouard for your article in Davis eNews for June, 2012

[cheer]  [interesting]  [rockon]

Best regards,
Ken

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Awe shucks!! (Re: Edouard's Spider-battle)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »
Howdy Ken and WeatherCat fans,

Congratulations, Edouard for your article in Davis eNews for June, 2012

Awe shucks . . . . I'm so embarrassed!!

Actually, I just finished up writing up a reference on MacWeather.net urging everyone to see if they can find something to submit to future Davis newsletters.  If Davis is stooping to this . . . it shouldn't be hard for you'all to come up with something really interesting!!  [cheer]

Actually though, I have a sneaking suspicion that at least one of the Facebook photos that was featured on the Davis newsletter might have come from one of the lurking members of MacWeather.  Anybody on this forum contribute some of the photos that Davis featured?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. What do you'all think about the ISS cleaning instructions?  Sure doesn't look assertive enough to cope with the real-world grime at least in my corner of the world!

jbull

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 + w/leaf wetness and soil moisture temp, Mac mini, OSX 10.6.8
Edouard-
  I can relate to your article.  I am constantly cleaning out my station.  If it's not the bird poo in the rain collector (I have a small screen to try and keep it out but it doesn't always work), it's wasps building nests around the temp/humidity sensor inside the radiation shield, and ants getting into the SIM box.

Thanks for the article.

Jeb

PS: I also had an article in this edition

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2

Jeb, welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

And congratulations on your article, as well. I read it last night, and thought to myself, "There's someone who could probably help with my leaf/soil station!" At you're leisure, please take a peek at my station thread HERE and offer any comments or criticism.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Congrats Jeb! (Re: Davis weather eNews 2012)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 09:32:48 PM »
Howdy Steve, Jeb, and WeatherCat fans,

Thanks for the article.

Actually all I contributed was the photo.  The cleaning advice was 100% Davis and . . . . that's not how I clean my equipment.  I'm considerably more "aggressive" when it comes to my cleaning and protection "potions."   ;D

Thanks for your submission!!  [tup]  It looks very interesting even if I don't have the soil sensors.   I need to slowdown and read it in earnest.  I just give it a quick glance and . . . it went over my head!

jbull

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 + w/leaf wetness and soil moisture temp, Mac mini, OSX 10.6.8
Hi Steve-

I enjoyed your very thorough write-up, you must be an engineer with that kind of detail.  I also enjoyed all of your other weather pics on your website, but I did have one question...what's with the rain bucket 'condom'?  How does that work??

Anyway, I liked you idea with the dual zone soil moisture/temperature placement; makes lots of sense for deep root and shallow root placement.  For my garden, I have some perennial flowers and carrots that are about the deepest roots, so I kept all my sensors in the 6-8" deep zone.  Speaking of placement, I never went with the Davis idea of glueing the sensors to a PVC pipe and placing that in the ground.  I have an idea I know what they're after, 1) visibility of the sensor so the cable doesn't get cut, and 2) to ensure the sensor has soil packed all around it to keep out and air pockets to lessen false readings. 

For my setup, I buried the cable 6" deep all the way from the beds to the 4x4 post that the station is mounted on, then attached neon flags where they enter the garden and put the flags on the surface so I can retrieve the cables and sensors when I have to dig/till.  I'm going to see how that setup goes this year to see if the lawn guys cut the flags so I may revisit this next year.  As far as the sensors themselves, I also conditioned them before placement to ensure more accurate readings.  Instead of the PVC pipe, I drove a stick (each about the same diameter as the sensors) into the ground at and angle at a spot that was tamped down and put the sensors there and back-filled them. So far that seems to work as I can watch the moisture levels on all 4 sensors fluctuate during wet/dry conditions. It appears from your photos that you have the moisture sensor pretty close to the 2x8 side.  Did you give any thought of putting it a little further out into your bed where most of your roots are?

As far as the placement of the leaf-wetness sensor, I emailed Davis but got nothing definitive except basically "read the manual".  So I looked at what was around the garden and settled on a height about 3.5' and placed it on the SW side of the 4x4.  The thinking was that I was trying to replicate dew and I didn't want it 'burning off too quickly' by putting it on the NE side, after all, I've got lots of tomatoes that still have dew 'til late in the AM.  Right now my leaf wetness sensor 'burn-off' time is around the same time as most everything else in the garden so this orientation works for me.  An added plus with the leaf wetness sensor as you may have seen is it will pick up the slightest amount of rain, well before the rain bucket does it's first 'tip'. 

Again, nice write-ups and good luck with your gardening this year.

Jeb

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Thank you, Jeb. And, yes indeed, I did work in engineering for over 35 years before retiring.

The rain condom is a bollard cap for pilings in marinas. I use it as a cover for the Davis VP2 while I am watering my garden. I record the amount I water using the CoCoRaHS gauge and record it separately , but don't want the VP2 data to include artificial precipitation.

My two soil temperature probes are at the same depth, but in different gardens. The strawberry patch keeps the soil cool, only changing a few degrees during the day, while the more open patch under the tomatoes fluctuates up to 10 degrees during the day. We'll see how this works out with our crop yield. We've put black plastic down under the tomatoes in the past to keep the soil hot. I may experiment with this next season and see if there is a substantial difference.

I did consider the proximity of the probes to the side of the raised bed box. I may get a slight artificially higher moisture content as this concentrates the rain or sprinkler water that runs down the inside of the box. I am on very sandy soil, so I've assumed that it dissipates a little. I will be getting two more soil moisture probes, so next year I will plant them further out in the garden.

It looks like you've optimized your leaf wetness sensor for the most accurate results. I pointed mine north, as the very early morning sun is blocked by a tree to the east of the garden. So I figured north would be the last to "burn off". On the WXforum, I've read of folks placing two leaf sensors; one north and the other south. I definitely have noticed how great the leaf sensor works as a precipitation detector, peaking out when the very first drizzle starts. In a very light rain, this may be many minutes before the first bucket tip, if it tips at all.

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm going to quote your reply with my Soil Station thread here and on MacWeather.net to keep these comments together.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve-

I enjoyed your very thorough write-up, you must be an engineer with that kind of detail.  I also enjoyed all of your other weather pics on your website, but I did have one question...what's with the rain bucket 'condom'?  How does that work??

Anyway, I liked you idea with the dual zone soil moisture/temperature placement; makes lots of sense for deep root and shallow root placement.  For my garden, I have some perennial flowers and carrots that are about the deepest roots, so I kept all my sensors in the 6-8" deep zone.  Speaking of placement, I never went with the Davis idea of glueing the sensors to a PVC pipe and placing that in the ground.  I have an idea I know what they're after, 1) visibility of the sensor so the cable doesn't get cut, and 2) to ensure the sensor has soil packed all around it to keep out and air pockets to lessen false readings. 

For my setup, I buried the cable 6" deep all the way from the beds to the 4x4 post that the station is mounted on, then attached neon flags where they enter the garden and put the flags on the surface so I can retrieve the cables and sensors when I have to dig/till.  I'm going to see how that setup goes this year to see if the lawn guys cut the flags so I may revisit this next year.  As far as the sensors themselves, I also conditioned them before placement to ensure more accurate readings.  Instead of the PVC pipe, I drove a stick (each about the same diameter as the sensors) into the ground at and angle at a spot that was tamped down and put the sensors there and back-filled them. So far that seems to work as I can watch the moisture levels on all 4 sensors fluctuate during wet/dry conditions. It appears from your photos that you have the moisture sensor pretty close to the 2x8 side.  Did you give any thought of putting it a little further out into your bed where most of your roots are?

As far as the placement of the leaf-wetness sensor, I emailed Davis but got nothing definitive except basically "read the manual".  So I looked at what was around the garden and settled on a height about 3.5' and placed it on the SW side of the 4x4.  The thinking was that I was trying to replicate dew and I didn't want it 'burning off too quickly' by putting it on the NE side, after all, I've got lots of tomatoes that still have dew 'til late in the AM.  Right now my leaf wetness sensor 'burn-off' time is around the same time as most everything else in the garden so this orientation works for me.  An added plus with the leaf wetness sensor as you may have seen is it will pick up the slightest amount of rain, well before the rain bucket does it's first 'tip'. 

Again, nice write-ups and good luck with your gardening this year.

Jeb
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
Edouard,

They are coming to get you!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Better buy Doc's potion - quick!! (Re: Edouard's Spider-battle)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
Howdy Steve and WeatherCat spider warriors

They are coming to get you!

;)  Yeah, and I'll bet ya the "hidden" one was yet another spider!! 

I'm surrounded by spiders!!  :o

Better get some of that repellant that Doc recommended - quick!!
  [lol]