Author Topic: Reference website of bulletin board codes.  (Read 2969 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Reference website of bulletin board codes.
« on: June 10, 2015, 09:43:12 PM »
Dear WeatherCat practitioners of the fine art of expressive postings . . .

Most of us get along fine with the GUI interface to bulletin board software like SMF used for the WeatherCat forum.  However, every now and then there is a need to get a bit more fancy with the formatting of a post.  As X-Air has been showing us, there is quite a bit of potential formatting available to us.  If you have ever been curious what were your options, there is a website with all the codes listed.  The website is http://www.bbcode.org/ and the list of codes can be found here:

http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php

So there, everything you always wanted to know about BBCode but were afraid to ask!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Reference website of bulletin board codes.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:08:54 AM »
And a good automatic text inserting tool like TextXpander or <Typinator> really makes these codes a snap. Although I haven't tweaked it for use at this site, one of my most often used key combos is for inserting a link.

I usually just enter a sentence including a site name of just a word or two that I want the link to refer  to, I have already copied the url, I then move the cursor to just before the name/words and I type five characters, a period and "tsck" and I get the following:
Code: [Select]
<[url=http://a-copied-url-for-some-site][color=blue][b]linkText[/b][/color][/url]>This leaves the cursor at the beginning of the name/words and I cut them (command-x). Lastly, I double-click the "linkText" and command-v replaces "linkText" with the name/words I had already included in the sentence.
Edouard's link to the reference page at bbcode.org would look like this in the entry/editor box:
Code: [Select]
<[url=http://www.bbcode.org/][color=blue][b]linkText[/b][/color][/url]>In the preview and/or post, it would look like this:<bulletin boards/forums formatting codes list>
Your shortcuts can be as short or long as you want; this one simply reminds me I made it for a particular forum (TechSurvivors.net) and it Copies a url for creating a linK. The period at the beginning is just what I use for most of my dozens of shortcuts. I seldom start a sentence with a period, although many wish I would end them with one much sooner than I do... [blush] [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Interesting . . (Re: Reference website of bulletin board codes.)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 09:37:55 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat power BBS users . . . .  [computer]

And a good automatic text inserting tool like TextXpander or <Typinator> really makes these codes a snap.

Hmm, interesting.  I've never used these sort of text expanding tools, but I see the value of them.  I guess I prefer to do the coding da' ol' fashioned way, because I still hope to get back to doing some real programming and it helps to remember how fussy syntax really is.  However, if there are combinations that you really do over and over I do see the virtue.  I tend to be more free-spirited about such things! . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Reference website of bulletin board codes.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 08:49:07 PM »
However, if there are combinations that you really do over and over
Yes, I have one that speaks, "Yes, Dear!"...

BTW, I just used one to quote you: First I selected the text, command-c, typed command-period and tscq. That stuck the opening quote tag at the front of the copied text and the closing quote tag at the end of it. I typed five characters instead of 15. I'm just lazy. 'Course, if I'd gone to the Full editor, I could have just clicked on the Quote buttons... "I'd rather do it myself, thank you very much!" It's handy for some of the longer named smilies, also. [tup]<-not being one of them!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system