Author Topic: Adjustable Wind Preview  (Read 3530 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Adjustable Wind Preview
« on: April 03, 2016, 12:49:32 PM »
I discovered this site windyty.com where you can get a widget for your own website to display a wind preview within a few mouseclicks. I done it on my website, here you can take a look: wetter.unterwurzacher.at/satellit.html. Maybe some of you are interested in this possibility - and maybe it was noted in an earlier thread.  :)

Update: As I don't use a Leuven-Template I didn't see that the widget is already present there.  :-[  But maybe the info in this thread is useful for the self-homepage-spinners.  8)

Cheers,
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Adjustable Wind Preview
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
I also "borrowed" that part of Mr. van der Kuils's great template! I use their animation on my <site>. There's have a small linked animated image at the bottom of my 'home' page. I like the ability to adjust the altitude, time, and the type of weather displayed. Not just the winds at various times and altitudes, but ten other things like gusts, temperature, rain/snow, clouds, etc. It's great to have something moving on the screen, especially so smoothly! [tup]

Requires two whole lines of html! Which you can get from their site!
Code: [Select]
<iframe class="windity_box"
    src="https://embed.windyty.com/?35.084,-91.670,6,menu,marker,metric.wind.mph,metric.temp.F">
</iframe>
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 03:04:58 PM »
Thanks for posting this Reinhard. I played around with it for an hour and decided to use it on my site.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
iOS View
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 10:08:31 PM »
I added it a few months ago, but commented it out because when viewed on iOS devices, the colors are screwed up, with the bottom half greyed out. This error only shows up on iOS, not Safari desktop views. Strange . . .
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22:06 PM »
Interesting dfw_pilot:

From my iPhone, Reinhard's page looks just as you posted it. But my page, from my iPhone, looks fine.

Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Formated
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:46:09 PM »
I noticed that, too. However, yours doesn't seem to scale to the iPhone screen size whereas his and mine scale to the iDevice screen size. That makes me think that it's a problem with Windyty when scaled to iDevice screen sizes, iPad included.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: Formated
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 11:28:33 PM »
I noticed that, too. However, yours doesn't seem to scale to the iPhone screen size whereas his and mine scale to the iDevice screen size. That makes me think that it's a problem with Windyty when scaled to iDevice screen sizes, iPad included.

You nailed it. I didn't think about that but my site is a WordPress offering. It's part of the owners association where I live and I get one page for weather. I have tried to fix that autoscaling thing for years and haven't found a way to do it.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
ViewPort
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 11:35:59 PM »
Do you have access to change the ViewPort meta tags?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 11:43:30 PM »
I have full access but don't know enough to (1) find and (2) change the tags. If you could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. I know there are plugins but don't know anything about them.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
ViewPort
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 11:52:01 PM »
I don't want to hijack, but try this link. The best option would be to change your theme to one that does this automatically for you. So many good themes out there already do this, so you can't really go wrong. All the best,

dfw

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 11:56:29 PM »
Thanks. Apologies to the Original Poster, Reinhard.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 11:57:18 PM »
Scales fine on my site via iPhone and iPad. Although I noticed in the Landscape orientation, it's not centered on the iPhone. Probably need to tweak the CSS for that. I use CSS to set the dimensions (and the centering (most of the time! [banghead] )).
<iframe class="windity_box" src="https://embed.windyty.com/...The CSS varies based on screen width.
.windity_box {
width:600px;
height:601px;
}
Use the same concept for many of the items, especially graphics and font sizes. Of course, I don't use any templates (except for the Forecast page). Mainly because I absolutely, positively hate horizontal scrolling or cutting off the left or right side of a screen just to see the other side! ??? The viewer/user is the one who should choose how wide a window he wants, not the site creator.
[removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:43:22 PM by xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system