Author Topic: Hello from Adelaide, South Australia  (Read 2702 times)

Ryan Hothersall

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis VP2plus with WeatherLink ip. Mac Mini & 27 imac 5k.
Hello from Adelaide, South Australia
« on: July 28, 2018, 05:56:12 AM »
Have been using a Mac mini for a year and decided I had enough of Windows, so moved that machine on and got a 27 imac, a second hand 2014 model. I wold like a brand new one which would last me many years, but because of the Australia tax, they are hugely expensive (so was the VP2 when I got it years ago).

I have had a Davis Vantage Oro 2 plus set up since 2098. Been a great station. Apart from a new battery in the ISS every 3-4 years and only having to replace the anemometer early this year.

The Mac mini I have set up as the weather computer running WeatherCat. As others have said in these forums, getting your historical data into WeatherCat is quite hard, so any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Hello from Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 07:49:29 PM »
Welcome, Ryan! Nice to have another participant on the forum!
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Hello from Adelaide, South Australia)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 09:53:58 PM »
Dear Ryan and WeatherCat welcome wagon . .. .

By all means welcome to the WeatherCat forum! . . . .

Have been using a Mac mini for a year and decided I had enough of Windows, so moved that machine on and got a 27 imac, a second hand 2014 model. I wold like a brand new one which would last me many years, but because of the Australia tax, they are hugely expensive (so was the VP2 when I got it years ago).

Congratulations on the switch!  We all have to do some belt tightening these days.

I have had a Davis Vantage Oro 2 plus set up since 2098. Been a great station. Apart from a new battery in the ISS every 3-4 years and only having to replace the anemometer early this year.

[wink] . . . . I do hope you mean 1998!  Otherwise you would have a time machine that everybody studying climate would want to get hold of!! . . .  lol(1)

Seriously, good to know that your anemometer lasted 20 years.  My station will be 9 years old in October and all my sensors are working fine.

The Mac mini I have set up as the weather computer running WeatherCat.

That's a common setup for WeatherCat.

As others have said in these forums, getting your historical data into WeatherCat is quite hard, so any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Can you tell us what Windows weather software you would be trying to import your data from?

Once more welcome!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Ryan Hothersall

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis VP2plus with WeatherLink ip. Mac Mini & 27 imac 5k.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 11:50:19 PM »
Sorry about the typo. Should be 2008.

On Windows I was using WeatherLink 6.0.3.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 02:37:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum Ryan. Glad to have you aboard.
Blick

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 03:45:53 PM »
Sorry about the typo. Should be 2008.

Welcome to the forum Ryan.

Unfortunately WeatherCat does not import Weatherlink files and I'm not sure if Stu plans to add that functionality anytime soon. However, there may be a workaround as it's predecessor (Lightsoft Weather Center) did offer this functionality back in 2011.
I made the switch from Weatherlink myself in 2012 and managed at the time to run LWC as an interim step, imported the .wlk files from the windows box (data covering 10 years), and then upgraded to WeatherCat.
This is 6 years ago and many things have changed since (MacOS). I have no idea if this workaround would still do the job. Maybe someone else can comment.

Greetings from The Netherlands (where we are experiencing a record breaking hot, sunny and dry summer  [sweat2]).

Jos

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »
Ryan:

You might want to post in WeatherCat General Discussion a request for help with your historical data.

In the meantime, here is a old but short thread that might give you a place to start thinking about a solution. Many others have had this same question, so before you post search around the forum a bit and see what has already been said about it.

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=678.msg6023#msg6023
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear Ryan and WeatherCat data preservers,

Sorry, I thought I posted this answer yesterday but today I don't see it.  Take a look at this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2405.msg23370#msg23370

The author wrote an application to convert WeatherLink data to WeatherCat.  Try sending him a PM and see if he can send you a copy of his creation.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]