Author Topic: Interesting webpage showing internet hacker attacks in real-time.  (Read 3464 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat good netizens,

Internet security is a topic that never is far from the news.  There was a recent acticle on the PC-World website with a very interesting webpage from a security company:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2367662/watch-the-web-get-hacked-in-real-time-on-this-mesmerizing-map.html

The security company Norse maintains a collection of "Honey Pots."  These are internet servers that are posing as innocent services waiting from smart hacker to attack them.  Instead, they have special software to detect the attacker and his location on the globe.  Using this they can keep tabs on the "bad guys," and if need be, seek the intervention of local authorities. 

Since they had this data, it wasn't too difficult for them to show these attacks to their Honey Pot network in real time.  Here is the link to the display page:

http://map.ipviking.com/?_ga=1.106938115.1477390587.1388686673

On this webpage they suggest that you use Google Chrome to view it.  Indeed I could not get the page to work with either Firefox or Safari.  However, you might download Chrome for this purpose only without having Google's prying eyes doing too much damage to your privacy.

The number of attacks seems large, but actually it is only a small fraction of the attacks going on at any given time.  Remember, these are only attacks to the Honey Pot servers that Norse runs.  For every one of these Norse servers, there are hundreds, thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of other possible targets.  So imagine the number of attacks being scaled up 100 or 1000 times and you start to get an idea of the threats to the Internet infrastructure. . . .

Afraid yet? . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Interesting webpage showing internet hacker attacks in real-time.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 11:37:55 PM »
On this webpage they suggest that you use Google Chrome to view it.  Indeed I could not get the page to work with either Firefox or Safari.

I have decided, rightly or wrongly, that I have given Google enough information for one lifetime. I am running Chrome free.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Interesting webpage showing internet hacker attacks in real-time.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 01:00:45 AM »
I tried it, both with and without Chrome. Wouldn't show anything either way. Just saying.
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Works for me. (Re: Webpage showing internet hacker attacks)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:38:29 PM »
Dear Blick, Herb, and WeatherCat cautious Netizens,

I have decided, rightly or wrongly, that I have given Google enough information for one lifetime. I am running Chrome free.

Well, I don't use Chrome at all, but I do keep a copy on my computer for situations when nothing else works.  I disabled the automatic updates, so I hope I'm okay.  However, I do agree Google is way too nosy for my tastes anymore.  Alas, when it comes to search they are still top-drawer.

I tried it, both with and without Chrome. Wouldn't show anything either way. Just saying.

I just checked again, the link I gave in the original posting works for me.  I would expect this is a web page that can get really busy.  Perhaps try using it early in the morning on a weekday when there should be less "recreational" users?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]