Author Topic: Sunshine hours  (Read 2549 times)

Chimay

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, Mac 10.12.3, Solar Radiation Sensor
Sunshine hours
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »
Hi

I have recently purchased a solar radiation detector for my Davis VP2. It seems to work fine, measuring the radiation levels, but I was wondering about measuring sunshine hours. In the WeatherCat Statistics window, there is a figure for Sunshine Hours recorded in the Year Over Year page, but not on the Monthly or Recent pages.

Tim

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Sunshine hours
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
Tim:

That is correct. I am pretty sure there is an already-existing suggestion to Stu to give us some additional flexibility with sunshine hours.

Have fun with that new addition to your ISS.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 02:49:51 PM »
I am pretty sure there is an already-existing suggestion to Stu to give us some additional flexibility with sunshine hours.
Especially in the darker Winter season. Oh... wait... you're talking about providing statistics, not actual daylight... sorry. OOH, Stu is a great programmer... who knows! cmu:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Graph the solar radiation? (Re: Sunshine hours)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 10:40:23 PM »
Dear Tim, Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat infomaniacs,

I have recently purchased a solar radiation detector for my Davis VP2. It seems to work fine, measuring the radiation levels, but I was wondering about measuring sunshine hours.

In the meantime, you might want to create a graph of the solar radiation like this:

At the end of the day, the width of the graph will give you a rough estimate of the sunshine hours.  As you can see my sensor get some shade from trees at this time of year.  Even so, you can see the significant reduction in solar radiation from the pick in just 2 hours.  That's something to think about for anyone considering solar panels.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:46:42 PM »
In addition to the graph, it occurs to me there is also a tag you can use, although it only works for total sunshine hours in the day.

STAT$SUNSHINEHOURS:TOTAL:TODAY$

See Page 211 in the manual.
Blick

Chimay

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, Mac 10.12.3, Solar Radiation Sensor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »
Thanks for your comments. Let's hope that Stu includes this in te next update.

Tim