Author Topic: Meteotemplate  (Read 137760 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Meteotemplate
« Reply #330 on: November 08, 2016, 09:09:45 PM »
JAchym,

You're saying that even though I have three columns with random height blocks, the soil block tries to match the height of the block beside it? It doesn't seem to, as I tried changing the order of the blocks in the center column, and the spacing of the soil block always stays the same, which seems stretched out with all the spacing between rows of images. I don't know, maybe that *is* the compressed mode as you intended. Most other blocks seem to have rows of images closer together though, such as the one above.

Ah, okay. I have three columns, so the block next to the Soil Parameter block is just random based on whatever is in the stacks above. I wouldn't think it would have any effect on spacing.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
  • Station Details: WH1080
« Reply #331 on: November 08, 2016, 10:59:02 PM »
Yes, maybe an icon with just stars would do, that wouldnt be confusing, I will change it when I update that block sometime, probably no point in updating it just because of this.

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
    • Indian Mountain Lakes - Carbon County Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
« Reply #332 on: November 09, 2016, 03:39:42 PM »
Yes, maybe an icon with just stars would do, that wouldnt be confusing, I will change it when I update that block sometime, probably no point in updating it just because of this.

Agreed :)

I guess the Sandman comic idea wasn't a good one then  [lol2]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #333 on: November 10, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »
Hi Jachym, personally like Steve I would find that block very confusing - simple graphics shouldn't need 'clarification', if it does then maybe it needs a tweak? The Moon icon to me looking at that block represents its current position in the sky, after all the Sun icon does represent its position during the day ;)

Whilst calculating the Moons current position is non-trivial as you say, for the purposes of a small display a simple interpolation between rise and set times would suffice. I'd use the shading to represent the progress of the night, and the icon to represent the Moons position - but that's me! ;)

Mark,
personally I find that you done a great job with your riset sunplot script that I was gladly able to use within the Meteotemplate. Very clear when there is daylight and night.
Reinhard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #334 on: November 10, 2016, 05:00:17 PM »
An example might be a winter layout with snow data and my school closing block, and summer with soil data, UV, etc.
I support this request. If possible, would be cool.  :)

After thinking about that a few days I think I will only change the *snow* block with the *uv* block when the snow season is gone and summer is back.
Reinhard

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Newsletter - Nov 11, 2016
« Reply #335 on: November 11, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
Meteotemplate - Newsletter - Nov 11, 2016

Hi guys,   

in this issue you will as always find information about what was added/updated since the last issue as well as some information about what I plan to do next.

http://meteotemplate.com/blog/

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #336 on: November 14, 2016, 03:46:46 PM »
Hi guys,

quite a lot of new stuff since I last posted here, but one thing I wanted to mention in particular is the update I just released which includes the Instagram link based on your suggestion Steve

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #337 on: November 14, 2016, 04:22:36 PM »
Thanks Jachym,

Appreciate the Instagram addition. Now I'm going t have to post stuff. ;)

I'm going to create a poll to see if my users like the existing web site or the preview of the proposed MeteoTemplate web site.

Hi guys,

quite a lot of new stuff since I last posted here, but one thing I wanted to mention in particular is the update I just released which includes the Instagram link based on your suggestion Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #338 on: November 14, 2016, 04:27:41 PM »
Jachym,

I'd like to re-visit the soil block. You previously noted that the height is dynamic, changing to match surrounding blocks, and that was the reason I was seeing more space between rows of graphics.

As seen in the following image, I deleted all other blocks from my web site except Soil. There is still a lot of space between the rows of graphics as compared to any of the other similar blocks. If this is by design, that's fine. If there's the flexibility to reduce the spacing, I think it would look a bit better, in my opinion.

Also, where can I change the gray text beneath the soil moisture and leaf wetness graphics? I'd prefer black in my color scheme, as the gray on gray is almost unreadable.

Thanks for any input you may have on these,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #339 on: November 14, 2016, 04:28:25 PM »
OK, just regarding the poll... I am of course not going to try to bias you in any way, but I can tell you one thing:

based on the experience I have gained over the last over a yr working as a developer with users, it is always the case that users are "lazy" and will prefer whatever they find the easiest. So the most visited site will always be the one that is server on your primary domain.

I saw that many times. I saw users with Saratoga template, who had meteotemplate link in the menu on the left. And based on visitor count, practically no-one ever visited the MT site. They then changed to MT and lo and behold, everyone was viewing MT and no-one clicked the link to Saratoga included in one of the blocks :D

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #340 on: November 14, 2016, 04:29:26 PM »
Im afraid this is not currently possible to change, the problem is that I had to choose a color that is at least "partly" visible with any color scheme, yours is problematic because it is very close to the gray.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #341 on: November 14, 2016, 04:41:06 PM »
Im afraid this is not currently possible to change, the problem is that I had to choose a color that is at least "partly" visible with any color scheme, yours is problematic because it is very close to the gray.

Understood, and thanks. I was looking through the code to see if I could change it locally, and couldn't find it.

Any thought on the graphics spacing in the soil block?
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #342 on: November 14, 2016, 05:09:34 PM »
The spacing of that block adjusts based on the other blocks with which you align it, if no other block is forcing it to stretch, it is quite compact, look:

http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/indexBlockDemoNarrow.php?block=soil

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #343 on: November 14, 2016, 05:37:09 PM »
Well, that's odd. See my image above, where the Soil Block is the only block on the page, yet it is not compact like you show. Perhaps there is a minimum percentage that comes into play? I have mine 15/65/20. But even if I set the minimum page width at 4000 pixels and drag the window wider than my 27" screen, it never becomes compact like you are showing. It just makes everything larger.

Weird...

The spacing of that block adjusts based on the other blocks with which you align it, if no other block is forcing it to stretch, it is quite compact, look:

http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/indexBlockDemoNarrow.php?block=soil
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #344 on: November 14, 2016, 05:50:49 PM »
Steve I am going to email you a test file, try it and if it works better I will do some changes in the files and release an update