Author Topic: WC servers hung on verifying  (Read 7281 times)

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
WC servers hung on verifying
« on: April 07, 2019, 10:02:29 PM »
I have used the same address at ddns.net for a LONG TIME....and as of today? Server status is hung at verifying and then fails with the "unable to verify server" message.
i also get a gateway address listed.
Checked the port forwarding settings and they are correct. Rebooted machine and restarted both WC and WC Client.

On wireless and local? Instant connect.

I deleted the old ddns.net address and now have a new one....can get as far as connecting under server status.....and nothing more.  [banghead]

jenna

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Probably a problem at ddns.net (Re: WC servers hung on verifying)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 11:08:40 PM »
Dear Jenna and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I have used the same jjmweather.ddns.net for a LONG TIME....and as of today? Server status is hung at verifying and then fails with the "unable to verify server" message.
Checked the port forwarding settings and they are correct. Rebooted machine and restarted both WC and WC Client.

I had a strange set of experiences that strongly suggest to me that the problem is at ddns.net.  Since I was on my Mac, I tried first trying to connect to jjmweather.ddns.net using the Mac client (WeatherCatClient.)  I was able to successfully connect to your weather station.  The temperature was about 10 degrees cooler than here in California and you had restarted WeatherCat later than I had this morning so the comms count was lower.

I switched to my iPhone running WeatherCatRCP - ran into exactly the same problem you describe.

I tried my iPad using WeatherCatPad - diito.

So I went back to WeatherCatClient on my Mac and - this time could not connect either.  I attempted to run a trace route and could not resolve the host.

ddns.net has a server that is supposed to supply the IP address so that you can reach your Mac.  That server is having some sort of problem.  Without an IP address, none of the WeatherCat clients can work.  I was lucky enough to catch the server working for a brief moment before something failed once more.

So this is a case were either you can grumble and wait for the problem to be fixed or you could try to contact ddns.net and see what they have to say.  I would put it in the 98% likelihood that no adjustments to your WeatherCat software are necessary.

Sorry, but such are da' conditions that prevail . . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
Re: Probably a problem at ddns.net (Re: WC servers hung on verifying)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »
Edouard:

Many thanks...but I believe it is something more than that.
I set up jjmweather.dynu.net and got the same issues...hangs at verifying.  If i attempt again? Shows as "connecting" but nothing more.
Eventually fails with the message could not be located, but the WCC shows I am connected on port 49250 as expected. *Screen shot attached*
Also verified open port at dynu.net and it shows as open. I also went to 67.241.137.145:49250 and boom there was the info.

[banghead] [banghead]
I am at a complete LOSS as to what is going on...... [goofy]

Dear Jenna and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I have used the same jjmweather.ddns.net for a LONG TIME....and as of today? Server status is hung at verifying and then fails with the "unable to verify server" message.

I had a strange set of experiences that strongly suggest to me that the problem is at ddns.net.  Since I was on my Mac, I tried first trying to connect to jjmweather.ddns.net using the Mac client (WeatherCatClient.)  I was able to successfully connect to your weather station.  The temperature was about 10 degrees cooler than here in California and you had restarted WeatherCat later than I had this morning so the comms count was lower.

I switched to my iPhone running WeatherCatRCP - ran into exactly the same problem you describe.

I tried my iPad using WeatherCatPad - diito.

So I went back to WeatherCatClient on my Mac and - this time could not connect either.  I attempted to run a trace route and could not resolve the host.

ddns.net has a server that is supposed to supply the IP address so that you can reach your Mac.  That server is having some sort of problem.  Without an IP address, none of the WeatherCat clients can work.  I was lucky enough to catch the server working for a brief moment before something failed once more.

So this is a case were either you can grumble and wait for the problem to be fixed or you could try to contact ddns.net and see what they have to say.  I would put it in the 98% likelihood that no adjustments to your WeatherCat software are necessary.

Sorry, but such are da' conditions that prevail . . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I can reproduce your problem. (Re: WC servers hung on verifying)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:34:52 PM »
Dear Jenna and WeatherCat iOS troubleshooters,

Many thanks...but I believe it is something more than that.
I set up jjmweather.dynu.net and got the same issues...hangs at verifying.  If i attempt again? Shows as "connecting" but nothing more.
Eventually fails with the message could not be located, but the WCC shows I am connected on port 49250 as expected. *Screen shot attached*
Also verified open port at dynu.net and it shows as open. I also went to 67.241.137.145:49250 and boom there was the info.

[banghead] [banghead]
I am at a complete LOSS as to what is going on...... [goofy]

I assume you are having these problems with WeatherCatRCP.  I'm observing exactly the same behavior you are seeing.  At this point we'll need Grand to take a look and see if he can understand what the problem is.  As a further complication, at least I wasn't able to get any variant of the IP address to work with my installation of WeatherCatRCP.  If you can make that work still, you could use the IP address as a temporary replacement for the address until Grand can chime in and take a look at what is going on.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Edouard

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
Re: WC servers hung on verifying
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
Edouard and WCer's with similar issues:

Yes, it is WeatherCatRCP. And I agree wholeheartedly. I will wait patiently and attempt different fixes from time to time.
If I stumble upon anything, will post update here.

I attempted the IP address in the server information, but alas, no soap.

Do not be sorry...things happen. I wish I knew more to help out myself!

Jenna with a newly fallen 4 inches of snow this morning!!! [snow]
It is official, I am sick of Winter.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »
Eventually fails with the message could not be located, but the WCC shows I am connected on port 49250 as expected.

WeatherCatRCP is a client of WeatherCat 3 and therefore uses port 49255.
Ports 49250-49254 are used by clients of WeatherCat 2.

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 06:37:32 PM »
Eventually fails with the message could not be located, but the WCC shows I am connected on port 49250 as expected.

WeatherCatRCP is a client of WeatherCat 3 and therefore uses port 49255.
Ports 49250-49254 are used by clients of WeatherCat 2.

I am currently running vers. 3.04 build 91. *Screen shot attached*

The RCP app has been running with no issues, until a few days ago and was always connected to 49250-49254 as listed in the Wiki. *screen shot added*
I just changed the open port to 49255 and attempted connection with no luck.
I was a beta tester of the RCP app and had no issues with automatic connection through WeatherCat until a few days ago. If I am incorrect and must revert back to the older Weathercat app for iOS?
No problems. I was just reporting the issue with the RCP app that I have been running for over  6 months at least.

Jenna

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 07:35:51 PM »
I just used WeatherCatRCP to connect to jjmweather.dynu.net successfully:
Server Status is v3.04, Build 91
Server Name is Tanyard Springs.
Station Name is Hallbrook Estates Personal Weather Station-Ellsworth, ME USA
And it's a chilly 34.2 degrees F.

I was also able to connect using the "Classic" screen in WeatherCatRCP. "Classic" uses port 29450.

It appears that both ports 29450 and 29455 are workin on your WeatherCat 3 server.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Definitely change in the climate (Was: WC servers hung on verifying)
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 11:20:05 PM »
Dear Jenna, Grand, and WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

Not to detract in any way from your technical problems, but . . . . .

. . . .

It may take a while to effect your weather, but the rains of California seem over for good.  We might pick up a few bucket tips, but even with the climate predication center forecasting above normal rainfall - we got next to none.    You can look at the current 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks for the whole country on the National Weather Service - Climate Predication Center website:

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

According to that, your temperatures are supposed to be normal for the next two weeks.  Hopefully that will bring an end to the white stuff . . .  [cold1]

Alas, that might bring the start of the mud season though. . . . .

Always something "fun" in the pipeline when it comes to weather .  . .   

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 03:07:46 PM »
Dear Grand:

INDEED!! It flipped over on my iOS screen and began working again. I will count this as a fluke and hope it does not happen again.
Many thanks for the help and interceding on my behalf for this great app.

COUNT THIS ONE CLOSED!!!!   [woohoo] [headbang]

Jenna
I just used WeatherCatRCP to connect to jjmweather.dynu.net successfully:
Server Status is v3.04, Build 91
Server Name is Tanyard Springs.
Station Name is Hallbrook Estates Personal Weather Station-Ellsworth, ME USA
And it's a chilly 34.2 degrees F.

I was also able to connect using the "Classic" screen in WeatherCatRCP. "Classic" uses port 29450.

It appears that both ports 29450 and 29455 are workin on your WeatherCat 3 server.

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
Re: Definitely change in the climate (Was: WC servers hung on verifying)
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 03:11:01 PM »
Edouard:

And to add insult to injury?? We were blessed(??) with another 2 inches of the blasted white stuff overnight. Temps are now in the 37F+ range, so perhaps
this will truly be the end of Winter and the beginning of the mud season. At least I can get the CanAm ATV out and have some fun on the trails!!

Jenna [headbang]

Dear Jenna, Grand, and WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

Not to detract in any way from your technical problems, but . . . . .

. . . .

It may take a while to effect your weather, but the rains of California seem over for good.  We might pick up a few bucket tips, but even with the climate predication center forecasting above normal rainfall - we got next to none.    You can look at the current 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks for the whole country on the National Weather Service - Climate Predication Center website:

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

According to that, your temperatures are supposed to be normal for the next two weeks.  Hopefully that will bring an end to the white stuff . . .  [cold1]

Alas, that might bring the start of the mud season though. . . . .

Always something "fun" in the pipeline when it comes to weather .  . .   

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
iOS a bit like OS-9 (Re: WC servers hung on verifying)
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 10:08:49 PM »
Dear Jenna, Grand, and WeatherCat iOS users,

INDEED!! It flipped over on my iOS screen and began working again.

I don't know how much you use your iPhone, but I'm noticing that if you don't reboot (reset) your phone fairly frequently it will start to malfunction.  I use it mostly to provide music for our Bluetooth enabled cars and even that will stop working after a few weeks.  After rebooting the phone it provides music as normal.  The more you use your phone, the more frequently you might have reboot it.  Personally, I have the System Monitor app on my phone:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/system-activity-monitors/id386118145?mt=8

I use the free version and it is good enough to get an idea of how much free memory is on your iPhone.  Like macOS, if available memory gets too limited it appears to cause problems like my iPhone not connecting to the bluetooth stereos.  It isn't a great tool, but it is better than nothing.

And to add insult to injury?? We were blessed(??) with another 2 inches of the blasted white stuff overnight. Temps are now in the 37F+ range, so perhaps
this will truly be the end of Winter and the beginning of the mud season.

Our current forecast still has a change of isolated showers through the weekend.  So it stands to reason you might still be on the cool side for another week or so.  However, both the 6-10 and 8-14 day outlook forecast above normal temperatures, so you should be seeing an improvement in a week.

At least I can get the CanAm ATV out and have some fun on the trails!!

So you mean . . . . . one of these?

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/

Hmm, definitely seems a bit assertive by my tastes!  I think I'll stick to my search for a vintage Airstream trailer instead! . . .  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »

Quote from: jennajon on Yesterday at 03:11:01 PM

At least I can get the CanAm ATV out and have some fun on the trails!!

So you mean . . . . . one of these?

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/

Hmm, definitely seems a bit assertive by my tastes!  I think I'll stick to my search for a vintage Airstream trailer instead! . . .  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

This be my little monster....lots of fun! Come on out!
Many MANY thanks for your support and help with this little issue that is now handled!
One of the most endearing things of this forum is the readily available help.

Jenna