Author Topic: Modifying the Application Folder on my MacBook  (Read 2519 times)

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Modifying the Application Folder on my MacBook
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »
Can anyone tell me how I can modify that apps that are in my Application folder?
Example move an app to the trash if I want.
Our just drop an new updated app in there

The reason to do this is I always created a .dmg file for newly updated apps like Safari 12.0.3 so I won't have to download it again that way if I have to reinstall the OS I already have it and just replace the one that is there.

thanks for your help in advance

cheers

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Modifying the Application Folder on my MacBook
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:38:25 PM »

I must be missing something here, Randall. Does using Launchpad to delete a recalcitrant app not work for you?

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 10:04:22 PM »
no Felix it will not if it is an app from apple it won't

thanks for the reply

cheers

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need administrator permissions (Re: Modifying the Application Folder)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 11:20:07 PM »
Dear Randall, Felix, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Can anyone tell me how I can modify that apps that are in my Application folder?
Our just drop an new updated app in there

The problem you are experiencing is because you are operating your MacBook as simply a user instead of an administrator.  Do you have more than one user for this computer?  Odds are you need to log out as your current user and log in as someone with administrator permissions.  Normally when macOS in installed only one user is created with these permissions, but it is safer not use that account for routine activities - especially on a portable computer used outside of home.

Let us know what you discover.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 07:16:00 AM »
Randall:

You are referring to the built-in apps that come with macOS. Apple does not allow you to delete them. There is a way to do it, but be careful because if you screw up, you are screwed up, if you follow the way my mind is drifting.

Here is a link to an article. Ignore the opening paragraph which invites you to buy an app that deletes apps for you and scroll down to the next section heading and start reading.

https://nektony.com/how-to/uninstall-default-apple-apps-on-mac

Proceed at your own risk. Personally, I think you are better off just leaving them alone and updating them through the App store rather than creating a .dmg, but, as always, my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 03:15:47 PM »
Remember also that each user can have their own ?Applications? folder. You can use that one for all your non-Apple apps and you can safely and easily remove/delete/organize all you want.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »
Hi Gang
 1st thanks for all the info.
Eduoard I have a system, admin, everyone - system and admin is read and write, everyone read only logging out and back in doesn't help me.
Blick the reason I don't want to keep down loading from the App Store is my internet speed is not very good only 1 meg down load if that it takes for ever to download some anything I live out in the boonies.

Just trying to speed things up if I have to reinstall been trying to find an app to make my own installer from the apps that I have so I can just reinstall them but with no luck

cheers

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:44:54 PM »
I also live in the boonies and definitely appreciate the lack of broadband constraint.

What I did was purchase some inexpensive bareback external hard drives and a dock from OWC. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my entire hard drive. The clone is bootable. And CCC is now going to offer partial backups in addition to cloning the entire drive, so I can clone all my applications.

Read about in this thread, starting with the post from dfw_pilot

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1986.msg18242#msg18242

If you want more detailed info, and estimated cost send me a pm.
Blick