Author Topic: New Station Lessons  (Read 3159 times)

philyoung

• Gentle Breeze
    • IHAMPSHI104
  • Station Details: FO WS 1080
New Station Lessons
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »
So, got the incredibly cheap WS set up and downloaded Weathercat. Uploading data to weather underground and pleased to see reasonable correlation with those around me. Discovered that the anemometer bearing needed to be lubricated but running smoothly now. I've read that the shield for the temp sensor doesn't really work so I need to make a new one. In the meantime mounted it on the north side of a post so if we do get any sun hopefully won't be too badly affected. This could get addictive!

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Re: New Station Lessons
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »
Sun ? in Pompey ?

Phil, you'll be lucky not to be snow bound by the end of the week.  [snow]

You can make a simple non-aspirated radiation shield for temperature sensors using white plastic flower pot saucers, threaded rods with plastic spacers, I've seen plans on various weather forums if you try a interweb search. If your keen you could try adding a small fan for the couple of days that the sun is out. Mind you when it gets addictive you'll end up buying an expensive station - in a month or so :-)

You'll have to add your wunderground id to your sig or profile then we can visit it.

Cheers

JC

(will send pm shortly, just had HRCT scan and bronchoscopy).

philyoung

• Gentle Breeze
    • IHAMPSHI104
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »
Spooky - white flower pot saucers on order to do just that! What's the fan for and where does it go? Could I get a solar powered one so it only worked when the sun was out or am I being a bit dim?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Radiation shield ideas (Re: New Station Lessons)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »
Hi Phil, JC, and WeatherCat fans,

I've read that the shield for the temp sensor doesn't really work so I need to make a new one. In the meantime mounted it on the north side of a post so if we do get any sun hopefully won't be too badly affected. This could get addictive!

Golly, I could swear somebody on one of these forums has done this.  Was it on the old LWC forum?  I sure cannot find it.

Does anybody remember who did this?

You might cruise around the http://www.wxforum.net/ forum to look for design ideas.  It is a busy and crowded place, but there is a higher density of do-it-yourselfers as a result.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 02:20:55 AM »
Hi Edouard, Phil and JC

I made one for my Temp/Hydro sensor out of small plastic bowls and some all treads and nuts and it has worked for me now for about 7 years

[cheers1]

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »
Hi Phil.

A small solar powered fan would do just nicely, it would need to be installed at the base of a radiation shield to draw air up and past the temperature sensor, some people on other forums wonder if it's advisable to have fans as they feel warm air may be drawn over the sensor giving high results....

I'll have a hunt for links for home made shields, you will also need some threaded rods, nuts to fit, and plastic spacers to space the saucers or pots equally apart.

p.s I see your in a "hot spot' for personal weather stations Phil ! More in your immediate area than in the whole of Suffolk I think !  :D

[cheers1] JC

philyoung

• Gentle Breeze
    • IHAMPSHI104
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions, time for DIY!