Author Topic: New (to me anyway) ultrasonic anemometer compatible with Davis stations.  (Read 1805 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat Davis instruments fans,

We have all grumbled a bit about the slow pace of innovation at Davis.  However, that has left room for other companies to create add-on products that are compatible with Davis stations.  While looking for something else, I stumbled into this HongYuv Ultrasonic Anemometer for Vantage Pro2 at Scaled Instruments:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/hongyuv/anemometers-hongyuv/hy-wds2dvse-ultrasonic-anemometer-for-vantage-pro2-with-heater/

People have been dreaming of an ultrasonic anemometer for Davis stations for a long time.  Not only does this purported work with Davis stations, but it is solar powered so it doesn't need a connection to household current.  It is expensive, but for the weather geek who must have it all, this definitely is something new and cool!   8)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
This tech looks pretty amazing. Their website says this product has been available since 2010 - hard to believe. It is very pricey, but if your anemometer is like mine, and very hard to service due to its placement, this might be a great one-time replace and forget solution.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear Blick and WeatherCat "gadget-oholics,"

This tech looks pretty amazing. Their website says this product has been available since 2010 - hard to believe. It is very pricey, but if your anemometer is like mine, and very hard to service due to its placement, this might be a great one-time replace and forget solution.

I don't know how long this product has been available, but before I would consider any installation I would definitely try to get some reviews from independent folks.  I was disappointed that my Davis anemometer only lasted 9 years.  I hoped better for Davis hardware.  This is a very fancy piece of hardware with some serious power requirements.  Between the ultrasonic anemometer and the solar array and batteries - there is lots of places for things to go wrong.

If people have had great durability out of this product I would be all in favor - but I would prefer some verification before going through a difficult maintenance ordeal!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]