Author Topic: New member - Poconos PA  (Read 3075 times)

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
    • Indian Mountain Lakes - Carbon County Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
New member - Poconos PA
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:15:19 PM »
New member from north east PA/Pocono Mountains area.

I've been looking at setting up my own weather station for a while and bit the bullet finally... primarily because the weather here is extremely localized - if you don't like the weather - drive 10miles and you'll be fine :)

My setup is fairly basic at the moment, a Davis Vantage Pro2 mounted in my back yard. The wind sensor is temporally mounted about 10' off the ground, and the ISS 5.5' on a 4x4 in the ground... this will eventually get moved a bit with the wind sensor going up to about 45' on a chimney mount and the ISS moving a bit once I get a dying tree taken down and have a better site.

I've installed WC and tweaking a bit, looking around at what other's have done, and will probably have a metric crap ton of tech questions ... one thing I like is the ability to store data in mySQL ... lets me play with Ruby and PHP to try and integrate with my websites, and if I can pull it off, my Home Automation setup (Zwave primarily) ... soil moisture sensors and irrigation control is making me think.

Thanks to the devs for some fairly straight-forward software, while still allowing some serious access to underlying data sets  [tup]

Now to go watch the rain clouds roll in to test the rain gauges  [woohoo]

-John

http://weather.hoke.org (simple html export site -- for now)
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KPAALBRI11#history

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: New member - Poconos PA
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:36:50 PM »
John, welcome to the Forum. It's a great bunch that hangs out here.

With your current setup, one thing you may want to consider is entering a calibration adjustment for the height of your anemometer. In WeatherCat Preferences you can enter an offset for the variance you have from the standard 10 meter height. See page 146 in the WeatherCat User Manual.

I look forward to your sharing your Zwave experiences. My neighbour has a VP2 and Zwave but alas, no WeatherCat as he is addicted to Micro$oft Windoze.
Blick

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
Re: New member - Poconos PA
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:48:45 PM »
Blick - thanks for the heads up -- I will check it out when i get a few minutes...

Right now, I am trying to figure out why sometimes I go to enter the pref pane for WC and it does not respond to clicks/input... but if I restart the app no issues...

Granted - this is an older iMac I had laying around 3.06 core2 duo with 4gb ram... will be getting a new mini to run the Zwave and WC on as soon as I talk my better half into spending more $ on 'toys' :)

Although I can probably chalk it up to needing more testing devices (I am the head of InfoSec for a global company... ) yeah... I need to test the security and transport communications for the Davis unit.... yeah... thats it :)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: New member - Poconos PA)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:01:31 PM »
Hi John, Blick, and WeatherCat welcoming committee,

By all means welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

I've been looking at setting up my own weather station for a while and bit the bullet finally... primarily because the weather here is extremely localized - if you don't like the weather - drive 10miles and you'll be fine :)

That's as good a reason as any.  Another related reason is simply to be sure what you believe to be the temperature, precipitation, and so on, is real for your location.  Once you have your station up and running, you may be shocked to see how far off "estimates" of your local weather conditions actually are.

I've installed WC and tweaking a bit, looking around at what other's have done, and will probably have a metric crap ton of tech questions ... one thing I like is the ability to store data in mySQL ... lets me play with Ruby and PHP to try and integrate with my websites, and if I can pull it off, my Home Automation setup (Zwave primarily) ... soil moisture sensors and irrigation control is making me think.

Well, we'll do our best, but it sounds like you may be teaching us a thing or two!

Right now, I am trying to figure out why sometimes I go to enter the pref pane for WC and it does not respond to clicks/input... but if I restart the app no issues...

Some of the input fields need a tab or return to get them acknowledged.  I can't spot one at the moment, but I think if you "fiddle a bit more aggressively," you should be able to get the hang of how the preference fields work.

Granted - this is an older iMac I had laying around 3.06 core2 duo with 4gb ram... will be getting a new mini to run the Zwave and WC on as soon as I talk my better half into spending more $ on 'toys' :)

Although I can probably chalk it up to needing more testing devices (I am the head of InfoSec for a global company... ) yeah... I need to test the security and transport communications for the Davis unit.... yeah... thats it :)

;) . . . . . . Well now, we try to offer a advice on all sorts of things, but when it comes to dealing with your "better half," I'm afraid on that one you're on your own!! . . . . [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
Re: Welcome! (Re: New member - Poconos PA)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:18:06 AM »

;) . . . . . . Well now, we try to offer a advice on all sorts of things, but when it comes to dealing with your "better half," I'm afraid on that one you're on your own!! . . . . [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

[banghead]

er...
 [cheer]

LOL and thanks :)

Now off to try an muck about with WC Templates and see what kind of damage I can do :)