Author Topic: Photography and weather  (Read 11374 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Photography and weather
« on: April 29, 2016, 04:58:56 PM »
Just ran across some tips and suggestions for using whatever weather you have to help make great images. I know that many here are avid photographers and probably already know these tips. This photographer concentrates on landscapes and so has to deal with what the weather throws at her. She can explain things quite well in simple terms even a 'arm-chair' photographer can understand.  [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: Photography and weather
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 09:03:08 PM »
Thanks for the link. I just bought a used Sony Alpha-6000 and am re-energizing my 35mm instincts. These modern cameras are even more complicated than my iPhone.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for the link - pre SLR though (Re: Photography and weather)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 12:51:42 AM »
Dear X-Air, Grand, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Just ran across some tips and suggestions for using whatever weather you have to help make great images. I know that many here are avid photographers and probably already know these tips. This photographer concentrates on landscapes and so has to deal with what the weather throws at her. She can explain things quite well in simple terms even a 'arm-chair' photographer can understand.  [tup]

Okay thanks it was interesting, but alas I can tell this woman was directing her comments toward the "point and shoot" crowd.  If you want to photograph weather and have an SLR (or DSLR) one of the first things you'll want is a circular polarizing filter.  It makes cloud effects much more dramatic.

If you really want to stick to your iPhone but want a polarizing filter, you can buy it:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/900555-REG/B_W_651074941_Smart_Pro_Circ_Pol_Filter.html

Hmm, is this a good or bad thing??? .. . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:18:01 AM »
I seem to remember her mentioning polarizing filters for two specific weather 'problem' areas; just after a rain and clouds. I may be wrong about the two 'events' but she definitely doesn't speak to the "point & shoot" crowd.

If you already have a portfolio, you'll may already know everything in that one article. But most professionals like to hear how others work and often pick up new tricks or ideas.

If you are a "Point and Shoot" type, you can still benefit from her discussing how she approaches and studies her 'subject' before even taking any camera out of a bag. And many of her ideas/tips apply to any camera, even what you have on a 'smart' phone, not just expensive DSLR's. I've heard that the best camera is the one you have with you! [lol]

I enjoy reading her short emailed tips, even if I don't have time to exercise her techniques. I don't even have time to read her blogs very often! I simply like her way of simplifying some details and admire her ability to travel and enjoy the the images she captures! Only hope to share that with others here. :)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 04:30:31 PM »
That was a nice article, @Xairbusdriver, and a good review of techniques for varying conditions. @Edouard, I'm not sure how you got a point-n-shoot bias from the article. She was talking about using depth of field, adjusting shutter speed and aperture, using wide angle lenses, and did mention using a polarizer. several things she mentioned are not features available on basic P&S cameras.

I dod have a couple circular polarizers, but use them sparingly. While they do make some scenes quite dramatic, their use is sometimes too obvious and artificial. Like any technique or tool, it has its place.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
The peril's of skim reading (Re: Photography and weather)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »
Dear X-Air, Steve, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Sorry guys, I got on the forum rather late yesterday and I really had to skim though that photography article.  :-[

So I missed those details.  My bad.  :(

One thing I've been looking for and never found is a technique to capture the appearance of raindrops falling from the sky.  Once more I've never searched very hard, but I'm curious, are you guys aware of any way to catch falling drops on "film"?

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 01:16:43 AM »
For streaks of falling drops, Ms. McKinnell suggests as slow a shutter speed as possible. If you just want 'stationary' drops, the settings could be more 'normal. The problem I see is the lighting. I'd suggest some rather strong back lighting (Sun?) but some fairly dark/shadowy/shaded background. One problem is with a slow shutter, one probably have to use a smaller f stop which may make the depth of field so deep that the background becomes too detailed and distracting. I'd think a light shower would be better than a flash-flood downpour, also! Too many drops might make it difficult to see individual drops. Probably best not to be standing in the rain, either... [banghead] [WCSmall]

Now for specifically 'catch[ing] falling drops on "film"', I'd suggest using at least 35mm. 16mm is just too narrow unless it's raining pretty hard. 8mm is simply too hard to hold when it gets wet, even with gloves. I'm not sure why you want to do this, anyway. I collect rain drops by diverting some of my gutter downspouts into a large container to replenish my fish pond.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 04:01:12 AM »
Rain is tough. As airx said, for streaks, a slow shutter speed captures the blur, but it isn't really satisfying. For stationary drops I find you need a really fast shutter speed or you'll get short streaks. Thing is, when it is raining, it isn't very bright, so you need a wide open large diameter lens, and then the shallow depth of field comes into play. It looks more like fog or just a bad photo in my attempts. I was going to post some examples, but I guess I tossed them...

Set up a sprinkler and experiment to see what you can get.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Guess it doesn't rain here enough (Re: Photography and weather)
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 11:23:19 PM »
Dear X-Air, Steve, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Oh well, at least I haven't overlooked something obvious.  I suppose I wouldn't be so interested in photographing rain . . . if it wasn't relatively rare in these parts!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 12:35:35 AM »
Another way might be to have a decorative container or even a large puddle and get down and close to capture the splashes. You could even use your flash to catch some of the 'crowns' in the early stages of the splash formation. <High Speed droplet photography> I guess this is the quickest way...
If you're really looking for some <unique images...>
But here is the <Ultimate Tutorial> with time-lapse video of how to do this professionally! I dare you to sit through this captivating movie till the end! [rolleyes2] [cheer] [banghead]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 10:19:59 PM »
OK, just to make you drool over how much more rain we have... Note that the "rain" doesn't show, just its 'impacts' with the pond water. This may be due to the very light precip as opposed to anything else. I'm pretty sure there actually were rain drops falling...

1/60, ?2.8, 109mm, ISO:200

1/80, ?2.8, 290mm, ISO:200

1/80, ?2.8, 290mm, ISO:200

Panasonic DMC-FZ200 dSLR

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Splashes can be captured - why not rain? (Re: Photography and weather)
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 11:39:13 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat Shutterbugs,

OK, just to make you drool over how much more rain we have... Note that the "rain" doesn't show, just its 'impacts' with the pond water. This may be due to the very light precip as opposed to anything else. I'm pretty sure there actually were rain drops falling...

[wink] . . . . Oh yeah, rub it in won't you!  . . .

Seriously, I've noticed that splashes can be captured.  I have a picture like that of my rain gauge (if I could just find it! . . . )

Still, I can see raindrops with my eyes and I can take video of raindrops.  So I don't understand why you cannot take still photos.  Oh well, one of these days I'll have to see if there is an explanation somewhere.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

P.S. We are supposed to get some rain later this week, perhaps I can try one more time.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 12:02:39 AM »
Part of the problem with 'capturing' falling drops may be that there are not as many as we think there are so they may be widely separated. But our eyes/brains are more adept at seeing moving objects, even as small as a rain drop. To get even these images, I took around a dozen. It was a very light rain and most of my 'captures' where nothing but the ripples of the collapsed 'event'.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Rain drops
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 03:16:44 AM »
I've had good luck capturing rain drop streaks at around 1/30th at 100 mm.  To stop them, a little fill flash does wonders.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Hmm, interesting idea! (Re: Rain drops)
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 11:46:14 PM »
Dear dfw and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

I've had good luck capturing rain drop streaks at around 1/30th at 100 mm.  To stop them, a little fill flash does wonders.

Hmm, I never thought about trying the flash.  If we get some decent rain around here, I'll definitely give that a try.

Thanks!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]