Author Topic: Basic stupid template operations  (Read 13991 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Basic stupid template operations
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 12:37:57 AM »
Started working on the <Leuven template> late yesterday. Got to a point where I was supposed to run a script on the web space. 500 ERROR: INTERNAL SERVER ERROR!!! Do not pass Go, do not collect $200!.

Contacted the dev this afternoon (busy installing new plants in out little fish pond all morning). It appeared the only reason to run the scrip was to download four additional files. I already had all of them, but I wanted to be sure I didn't have some other problem. Got a reply within an hour! The instructions are a bit older than the templates; those files are included in the download, now. But he also discovered that I was using an older version! Downloaded the latest version and will start over on the instructions, probably over the weekend. [cheer]

I can only imagine the "fun" of keeping up with the half dozen weather apps, different hardware, and the changes in the weather sites needs, and capabilities.  [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 08:54:02 AM »
Got a reply within an hour!

This is why you want to use a template that is still supported. Belgians are not only famous for waffles and friets, but now, apparently, they also make good weather templates.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 03:49:05 PM »
Belgian?! I thought maybe Dutch, probably lives in northern Belgium, since his site is in mainly English or Dutch. Belgium is similar in languages to Switzerland; they speak the 'national' language and the one in the country 'next door'. And the vast majority of Europe can speak English, also. I wish we Americans had their language skills, but I'm as lazy as most other Yanks when it comes to that! [blush] All I can say is that he speaks and writes perfect English! [cheer]

They eat waffles like we eat 'french' fries! There are little side walk waffle shops in every town! OK, I don't know about 'every town', but they certainly have downtown Brussels covered! Of course, they don't usually put maple syrup on them! That would be rather messy when walking around eating the waffle! [rolleyes2]

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 07:11:54 PM »
I may have discovered something that could be the cause of my problems. I went to the Wxforum to register and went through the process ~5 times getting a "complete Captcha" message each time. I finally realized the three little images at the bottom of the page were part of the Captcha process! [banghead] I kept wondering why I would care if the images were displayed vertically rather than horizontally! Never noticing that each one could be other than upright! "Vertical" had nothing to do with them, even when they are upright, they will still be horizontal! [rolleyes2] [blush] I must not get out enough, I've never seen a Captcha with this kind of added human requirement. Oh well...

Sorry you had issues navigating the image-based captcha on WXforum.net registration.  We had to resort to that method to foil the spambot registrations (which easily solve the 'regular' captcha).  The positioning of images by rotation so they are 'upright' is still a bit beyond the spambots to accomplish, so bogus registrations on WXForum.net has vastly diminished.. still get a few 'human-based' spam registrations from Asia, but easily thwarted as we clear each registration through the StopForumSpam database.

Let me know if you need assistance in registering still...

Best regards,
Ken
(admin for WXforum.net)
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 07:58:12 PM »
Just a matter of me being less smart than a bot! [blush] I have a contact page on my site and it's a fairly simple PHP system. My real filtering comes with SpamSieve on my own machine. A few weeks ago, I discovered that I'd reached the mailbox limit at the hosting company. I was wondering why I was not getting any messages, even when I tested the address for another reason. Apparently, the 'at-the-limit-notification' message also got trapped and deleted by SpamSieve! [lol]

I also learned that Wxforum is HUGE! I never got around to even posting a question! I did use the search function and didn't see much info on the topic of concern. The ratio of Mac to Windows users is quite different than here, of course.

Thanks for the offer of help, if you've seen most of my posts, that's their main purpose! [blush]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 08:37:30 PM »
If the gauges aren't showing, you did not follow the instructions for either Option 1 or Option 2.
Couldn't agree more. The only problem is which option and what instruction.

For the next guy reading this thread, there is a wiki entry on how to install the SteelSeries Gauges to interact with WeatherCat:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Steel_Series_Gauges

Now, if we could only get Edouard to join the gang and add SteelSeries to his SeaMonkey offering ...
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear Blick and WeatherCat web spinners,

Now, if we could only get Edouard to join the gang and add SteelSeries to his SeaMonkey offering ...

I would like to had some sort of real-time updating like some of these other web templates use.  Alas, everyday I seem to fall further behind . . . .

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »
UPDATED: This post refers to a site using a template. My current site is 90% hand-coded. The link below is valid but you won't see anything discussed in my comments there. [rolleyes2]

Guess I should update this thread. I now have a working site, still cleaning up a few minor details, like removing the "Develop" menu. The "globe" under my profile info should take you there. The url is: <mid-southweather.com>

BTW, there is a "Customize" menu (left nav/menu items) that will give you three different options in the top header; text only info, text and small, light-weight gifs, and some small Steel gauges (along with even smaller text, although I managed to make the timer window wide enough to see all the digits...). I generally prefer the text w/images for ease of reading.

I'm sure there are some settings, somewhere, to remove the direction markings on the Wind Direction gauge or even make the gauges larger. Right now, the test on the scrolling forecast is about 6 pixels tall. [rolleyes2] Seems a shame to waste so much horizontal and vertical space. I'm pretty sure the header can be taller with a few well placed edits. And I tend to use "em" text measurements rather than pixels, which are rather device dependent. Oh well, maybe Edouard can whip up a few ASs just for that. Since he's not getting any rain, it's not like he has to keep mowing the grass... [computer] [rockon]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 11:04:12 PM »
Looks like your website is coming right along, mate. Wim has done a nice job with his template. It still has some Dutch scattered around on a few pages of the English template, but it's a solid weather offering, which you will like.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 11:44:15 PM »
I fear I don't have a bug squashed just yet that came from my NWS Alerts listing, I've seen the error report a couple of times; apparently after WC send updates... I'll have to copy and paste it into a file and see if I can track down the cause.

I'm getting a bit of vision-glasing from looking at the site and back to the files. If there's any Dutch you remember seeing, please let me know, if you can remember the location. It may be intentional on Wim's part. ;)

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 01:01:46 AM »
impressive xairbusdriver [tup]

cheers
 [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 06:17:14 AM »
If there's any Dutch you remember seeing, please let me know, if you can remember the location. It may be intentional on Wim's part. ;)

One place that I remember is the credits on the About page, which uses the Dutch word "van" rather than the English word "from" or "with". In one of my previous lives, I lived in Belgium and was quite fluent in Flemish at the time. I have even been to Leuven.
Blick

wvdkuil

• Strong Breeze
    • DW8113 (D8113)
    • IVLAAMSG47
    • Weatherstation Wilsele/Leuven/Belgium
  • Station Details: VantagePro2+ UV,Solar - Macbook/Mini
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 08:45:51 AM »
If there's any Dutch you remember seeing, please let me know, if you can remember the location. It may be intentional on Wim's part. ;)

One place that I remember is the credits on the About page, which uses the Dutch word "van" rather than the English word "from" or "with". In one of my previous lives, I lived in Belgium and was quite fluent in Flemish at the time. I have even been to Leuven.
To solve the Dutch words, or even more important: all the menglish words ( menglish short for "my English" as I think it is correct, but probably contains errors I do not see) the langlookup files can be used.
All words / sentences which are displayed and need to be changed, for reason of errors or for reason of different meaning (pool temperature => basement temperature), can be changed in the langlookup|from|becomes|  tables.
WiKi: http://wiki.leuven-template.eu/doku.php?id=faq:lang 

it is a pity that English in the the WiKi itself can not be improved that way, sorry for that.
Wim
Support of Leuven-Template&Scripts: https://support.leuven-template.eu/
Support and demo for the PWS_Dashboard (also for WeatherCat)  https://pwsdashboard.com/ 
My PWS at home https://weer.sluispark.be/
And at my daughters house https://www.weerstation-herent.be/

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
it is a pity that English in the the WiKi itself can not be improved that way, sorry for that.

Wim, your English is very good and far Superior to my Dutch.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 03:31:32 PM »
 [rolleyes2] [lol]
One place that I remember is the credits on the About page, which uses the Dutch word "van" rather than the English word "from" or "with".
You're sure that wasn't some ones name, right?! ;)

In one of my previous lives, I lived in Belgium and was quite fluent in Flemish at the time. I have even been to Leuven.
Only "visited" a few times while carrying over-night cargo. Hotel was close to the Nord Station (I think), walked to a very good WWII museum. Once took the train north to Bruges to bring back some lace for my wife. The Europeans know how to use the rails!!!

Even further Off Topic: My wife's paternal grandfather was always known as "L.O." He even signed his name that way. His name was actually "Leonidas"! But growing up with minimal education in the rural South, he may not have ever seen his name spelt anywhere! I'm sure Wim knows of the chocolate brand... However, this southern gentleman, possibly never having seen the name correctly written, assumed that it was really two names; "Lee" and "Onidas"! Thus, he was known by the two initials, "L.O."!