Author Topic: Davis eNewsLetter converts to a blog format.  (Read 2848 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Davis eNewsLetter converts to a blog format.
« on: March 29, 2018, 10:49:30 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Davis Instruments fans,

I just received the latest Davis online Newsletter and it has been "freshened up."  Actually, they have switched from a traditional newsletter format to a blog format where they simply grab some entries and package it into a email for subscribers.  The blog page is here:

https://www.davisnet.com/blog/

There are some interesting articles including one that pointed me to weatherstationadvisor.com

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Another issue (Re: Davis eNewsLetter)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 11:03:37 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Davis station fans and owners,

There is another issue of the Davis eNewsletter:

http://eepurl.com/dvS3Sz

Sadly, I would like to recommend something from this issue, but this new format isn't as pleasant as the old and the content is definitely not up to the caliber of the old newsletter.

Nonetheless, here it is for the curious. . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Davis eNewsLetter converts to a blog format.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 03:30:26 AM »
I've got to admit, I'm not too impressed with product designer Richard Anderson's work. Every time there's a Davis survey, I reiterate the age-old gripes and little seems to change. We get a new aerocone no one asked for but we can't get a more reliable supercap, software for a Mac without resorting to Boot Camp, a FARS fan which doesn't need replacing yearly, the list goes on and on.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear Felix and WeatherCat Davis owners and fans,

I've got to admit, I'm not too impressed with product designer Richard Anderson's work. Every time there's a Davis survey, I reiterate the age-old gripes and little seems to change. We get a new aerocone no one asked for but we can't get a more reliable supercap, software for a Mac without resorting to Boot Camp, a FARS fan which doesn't need replacing yearly, the list goes on and on.

:( . . . . I'll agree with you 100% the biography of Richard Anderson really left me very disappointed.  Supposedly, he had done some work with academics who were experts in user-interface design.  When I got started on my PhD, I considered doing some work in that area and read up on the topic.  I was very impressed with the theory.  Sadly knowing what the design principles are behind user-interface design, it is painfully clear that many "experts" in the field - aren't.  iOS is a much more haphazard user interface than the desktop paradigm of the Mac for example.  Alas, the Davis Vantage Pro-2 console makes iOS look positively user-friendly!  Of course, both cases the explanation is sadly clear: when there is a conflict between profits and good user-interface design . . . . guess what wins out . . . .

Oh well, . . . . .Edouard