Author Topic: FYI: DiskMaker X 4 beta can make bootable Yosemite drives.  (Read 2711 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
FYI: DiskMaker X 4 beta can make bootable Yosemite drives.
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »
Dear WeatherCat early adopters,

;)  . . . . I suppose hell must be about to freeze over . . . . .   [freeze]  I am now running on OS 10.10 Yosemite!

I first finally got around to putting a system on my rescue drive partition, so I'm now protected even if da' cloud goes bust.  I then used a USB thumb drive to boot to Yosemite and upgrade my main hard drive that way.  I used the beta version of DiskMaker X:

http://diskmakerx.com/

It seems like a prudent precaution to have one of these thumb drives around in case your system needs a rescue.  Although I noted that there isn't any obvious way to restore a time machine backup from the thumb drive anymore, you have to use Apple's "Rescue HD."

That's just one of the uncool things about this version of OS X.  I definitely beg to differ on those who like the look of Yosemite.  For the sake of cool, Apple has once more seriously compromised readability.  I found it bad enough that I had to turn up the contrast using the Accessibility preference pane.  I sure hope somebody figures out how to change the system font.  I'm finding this hard to read and my Mother with macular degeneration may find her computer beyond her vision because this silly nonsense.

Apple should know better than to break its promises to those with handicaps . . . .

Sigh, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: FYI: DiskMaker X 4 beta can make bootable Yosemite drives.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »
;)  . . . . I suppose hell must be about to freeze over . . . . .   [freeze]  I am now running on OS 10.10 Yosemite!
I am astounded. Two OS upgrades in one year? You better take a rest.  :)
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Got da' phone - man! (Re: FYI: DiskMaker X 4 beta)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »
Howdy Blick and WeatherCat gadget junkies . . . .

I am astounded. Two OS upgrades in one year? You better take a rest.  :)

Well, you see, I have given into . . . . . temptation!!

It was time to upgrade my iPhone 4, so I'm up to an iPhone 6!!  [bounce]

So I was a little anxious to take advantage of the integration features of Yosemite, but in retrospect, I think I should have waited until 10.10.1.  10.10 as it stands is definitely a little raw and application developers haven't thought through all the implications of the new user-interface.  Color schemes that worked fine on Mavericks really lead to eyestrain on Yosemite.

Oh well, . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]