Author Topic: -26 Below ZERO again in Gunnison Colorado  (Read 4308 times)

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
-26 Below ZERO again in Gunnison Colorado
« on: January 12, 2016, 02:58:44 PM »
At work in Gunnison, Colorado.  Another frigid morning with a low of -26F  [freeze]  Last week, if I remember correctly, a low of -35F.  Likely high will be around Zero F.  This is more normal temperatures as the last several years have been pretty mild.  Once the inversion sets in, the cold can last for till March unless the subtropical jet brings heat from Baja and scours out the cold.  At my house on the other side of the Continental Divide it was a balmy 10F this morning.  What a contrast.

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
Re: -26 Below ZERO again in Gunnison Colorado
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 03:30:44 PM »
Update, -29F  at a personal weather station close to the river [goofy]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:15:19 PM »
Contact your regional Weatherman immediately! I think there is a law against temps that far below freezing! They may be State laws, so check with your State Attorney General. If there are no laws, contact your State and national Representatives and Senators!!! Last time we had temps below freezing for more than a day, we fired the Weatherman! He forgot who paid his salary!!! And don't let them try to convince you it has something to do with so called "Snow Birds"! Even birds know when it's time to head south! [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Typical for Ni?o? (Re: -26 Below ZERO again in Gunnison Colorado)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:42:15 AM »
Dear Jeff and WeatherCat weather extremes monitors,. . .

At work

[wink] . . . Well now, that's your first mistake! . . .  [lol2]

At work in Gunnison, Colorado.  Another frigid morning with a low of -26F  [freeze]  Last week, if I remember correctly, a low of -35F.  Likely high will be around Zero F.  This is more normal temperatures as the last several years have been pretty mild.  Once the inversion sets in, the cold can last for till March unless the subtropical jet brings heat from Baja and scours out the cold.  At my house on the other side of the Continental Divide it was a balmy 10F this morning.  What a contrast.

Seriously, is this typical El Ni?o conditions for your neck of the woods?  It does seem like Ni?o is slow to have any effect this winter.

Cheers, Edouard

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:14:10 AM »
Burrrrr? That's cold! How do you keep the house comfortable, and at what set point?
Herb

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 02:29:31 PM »
Looks like a heat wave today  [sweat]  It is only -22?F this morning  [bounce]  I'll see if I can find a thermometer and take a picture.  I think one of the banks still has a working display.  Just so you guys believe me.  It is amazing the gas station credit card scanners and pumps work at temperatures like this.  Just don't try the find any wind shield cleaning fluid at the gas station.

Here is a link  in regards to most days with coldest temperature lower 48 states (scroll down towards the bottom).  Unfortunately Gunnison is just 3rd  [goofy]

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/coldest.php

Contact your regional Weatherman immediately! I think there is a law against temps that far below freezing! They may be State laws, so check with your State Attorney General. If there are no laws, contact your State and national Representatives and Senators!!! Last time we had temps below freezing for more than a day, we fired the Weatherman! He forgot who paid his salary!!! And don't let them try to convince you it has something to do with so called "Snow Birds"! Even birds know when it's time to head south! [rolleyes2]

Regional weathermen are very smart- they live in Grand Junction, Colorado where it is currently 8?F with a projected high of 32?F today.   I'll put in my order for a nice warm ZERO? F overnight low.

Seriously, is this typical El Ni?o conditions for your neck of the woods?  It does seem like Ni?o is slow to have any effect this winter. 

This is more normal temperatures for the winter time.  Over the last several years winter temperatures have been above normal.  I am guessing El Nino years likely would produce warmer winters tempertures here depending on how the sub-tropical jet sets up and if the Pineapple Expressway  develops.  Cold temperatures like this are actually beneficial- they might help control spruce beetle outbreaks occurring in the Colorado Rockies.  It would be an interesting study of weather patterns and how they effect the cold here.  Even the NWS typically missing the mark on predicting winter temperatures in the valley.

Burrrrr? That's cold! How do you keep the house comfortable, and at what set point?

By burning all of the beetle killed spruce trees.  Wood is a common heat source.  Typically you heat with the wood at night and leave the thermostat on low (say 60?F) while you are at work.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 08:21:46 PM »
Wow! I've been through Gunnison lots of times. I used to fly into Montrose regularly from Houston. I know it can can get cold, but that is downright Baltic.

Here in Utah, where we are a bit further west of the Rockies, it has been cold, but nothing like that.  We have had only 2 days where the high was above 32? F since December 22, but our lowest low was a balmy 0.
Blick

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »
Wow! I've been through Gunnison lots of times. I used to fly into Montrose regularly from Houston. I know it can can get cold, but that is downright Baltic.

Here in Utah, where we are a bit further west of the Rockies, it has been cold, but nothing like that.  We have had only 2 days where the high was above 32? F since December 22, but our lowest low was a balmy 0.

How is your snow pack doing?  Hit and miss here in Colorado but tending on average

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 02:57:49 PM »
How is your snow pack doing?  Hit and miss here in Colorado but tending on average

We are running slightly above average so far (about 114% of normal). We haven't had much snow in January but a couple of storms are coming in this week, so we are hoping for more.
Blick

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 06:35:22 PM »

We are running slightly above average so far (about 114% of normal). We haven't had much snow in January but a couple of storms are coming in this week, so we are hoping for more.

Pretty much the same here.  Around Christmas the Colorado snow pack was 106% of average, higher amounts southern and lower amounts northern parts of the state.  Guessing it went up with active weather towards the end of December.  But  January has been mild (snow wise but not temperatures  [freeze]  )