Author Topic: Barometer Display  (Read 8710 times)

washbob

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2394
    • KWARICHL13
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue, WeatherLinkiP
Barometer Display
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:42:37 PM »
I did a search, but could not find an answer to my issue, perhaps I missed it.   My barometer reading on WeatherCat and subsequent online viewing (i.e. weather underground, CWOP, etc.) are different than my actual Vantage Vue display reading.   I use a Davis Vantage Vue via WeatherLinkiP.   For example my Vantage Vue display at this moment reads 30.08 for the barometer reading, but WeatherCat shows the reading as 28.16.   I know the 30.08 is the correct reading.   Any idea on why the readings are different and a solution?   All my other readings are correct.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Barometer Display
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »
Hi washbob and welcome to the forum!

I am not using a Vantage Vue, but I looked at your Wunderground account and it reports a Vantage Pro2? So maybe here is the crux that you told WeatherCat a wrong hardware? Maybe, just a thought...

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Davis Vantage all the same driver ?? (Re: Barometer Display)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:56:37 PM »
Dear WashBob,

Let me also welcome you to the WeatherCat forum

I did a search, but could not find an answer to my issue, perhaps I missed it.   My barometer reading on WeatherCat and subsequent online viewing (i.e. weather underground, CWOP, etc.) are different than my actual Vantage Vue display reading.   

Not sure what the problem could be.  However, it might have something to do with your IP-Datalogger.  Could it be reporting out of date information to WeatherCat somehow?

I am not using a Vantage Vue, but I looked at your Wunderground account and it reports a Vantage Pro2? So maybe here is the crux that you told WeatherCat a wrong hardware? Maybe, just a thought...

I have the USB-Datalogger so I'm not sure about this.  However at least on the USB version, the WeatherCat driver is the same for the Vantage Pro-2 and Vantage Vue.  The same Datalogger is used in both station models, so I would assume this would be the same for the IP-Datalogger.  If so, than something else is wrong for the incorrect station model to be reported.

I think we'll need someone with the IP-Datalogger to field this question.

Sorry, but please be patient and someone will have a more constructive suggestion soon.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Just to be sure, is this your station?

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KWARICHL13

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 07:49:54 PM »
Hi WashBob.

Is your vantage vue console barometer setting on the default of NOAA or has been set to ALT Setting (altimeter setting), or none ?
(Page 11 of your console manual).

Is the elevation setting on your console the same in WeatherCat ?

Also have you entered an offset in the calibration setting of Weathercat or is it set to the default of 0.000 ?

That's the only easy things I can think of that may give different barometer readings.

JC

washbob

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2394
    • KWARICHL13
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »
wurzelmac - I updated my Weather Underground account to correct setting (Vantage Vue), but nothing changed.

elagache - I just recently changed from the USB datalogger to the iP version.   Went back and reviewed old reports & they were showing the incorrect data as well.   So no difference on which datalogger I was using.

Jace - Checked settings.   Console is set at default of NOAA.   My elevation settings were different by a few feet, so changed them so they match.   No offset in Weathercat, set at default of 0.000.

After making the changes, I see no change.   The console shows the correct barometer reading, while Weathercat is significantly lower.   Thanks for suggestions, I'll keep plugging along & checking this forum for a solution.   I don't follow the barometer that close, just whether it's rising or falling, but since I'm reporting to Weatherunderground & CWOP, I would like to be sending the correct data.  http://athena.trixology.com/Smileys/default/computer.gif

washbob

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2394
    • KWARICHL13
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:59:54 PM »
Still troubleshooting barometer reading issue.   I've run out of ideas, so hoping somebody has a suggestion. [banghead] [banghead]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need to wait for Stu (Re: Barometer Display)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »
Dear WashBob and WeatherCat fans,

Still troubleshooting barometer reading issue.   I've run out of ideas, so hoping somebody has a suggestion. [banghead] [banghead]

I'm afraid we've never seen anything like this, so we've run out of suggestions also.  Stuart Ball is trying to make his way home in the unusually white weather of Scotland.  I think you'll just have wait until he gets back in the office to see if he has some ideas.

washbob

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2394
    • KWARICHL13
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »
 I have sent a request to Davis support.   Hopefully they may have an idea.   I just noticed today that I forgot to include that I'm using a Davis Weather Wireless Envoy with the Weatherlink iP data logger to upload my information.   I'm curious if it may be the Envoy that is picking up the incorrect information.   The Envoy connects wirelessly to my ISS station as does the Vue console.   The Vue console shows the correct information.   Will do some more troubleshooting.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »
Bob,

It sounds like the Envoy is the culprit. If you haven't at initial setup, you need to run Davis' WeatherLink for Mac to set the barometric pressure in the Envoy. On all other units, this is done via the Console, but since the Envoy is basically a Console without a display, it has to be done via software.

Note: You will need to set WeatherLink to be able to run on a modern Mac. Get Info for WeatherLink, and then check the32-bit option. Otherwise, it will not launch.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Yup, seen that one before! (Re: Barometer Display)
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:51:33 PM »
Howdy Bob, Steve, and WeatherCat fans,

It sounds like the Envoy is the culprit.

Yup, something about the current production run of Weather Envoys.  Both Steve and I ran into this problem also. 

Okay, mystery solved!  [bounce]

P.S. Let us know if you have any problems getting the WeatherLink program to make the correction to the barometric pressure readings.  It is a clumsy program, but there are instructions included with the disk.

washbob

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2394
    • KWARICHL13
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 06:52:32 PM »
The Envoy was the problem.   I moved my Vue console, so I could insert the data logger directly into the console and it's now uploading the correct barometer information.   I'm curious to see if and when I receive an answer from Davis on their thoughts on the Envoy. [bounce] [bounce]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 07:17:07 PM »
I think I was on email to you yesterday Bob? If so, glad you figured it out - there was nothing I could see that could be causing the problem. Now that we know it's the Envoy that's plugged into the computer, (as has been pointed out above) you'll need to set its barometer set up - currently this can only be done from WeatherLink. I like it when things add up :)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Description on how to fix this on Wiki (Re: Barometer Display)
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »
Dear Bob, Stu, Steve, and WeatherCat fans,

Since I'm the one who advocated a WeatherCat Wiki, I suppose I should do my part.  So I wrote up how to correct the barometric pressure on a Weather Envoy and parked it here on the Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Correcting_erroneous_barometric_pressure_readings_from_Davis_Weather_Envoys

It is filed under Davis weather stations.

The description is a bit vague but I hope it is good enough.

Steve, I "borrowed" your Skitch figure to explain how to get WeatherLink into 32-bit mode.   :-[  Hope you don't mind the flattery!!  [bounce]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 08:02:52 PM »
Nice work Edouard  [tup]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »
Thanks! Glad I could help with the graphics.
Steve

[EDIT] Edouard,

I'm not sure where the idea that some units need adjustment because of a sensor problem originated. I understood that *all* Envoys need their barometric pressure set, since there is nowhere to set their elevation. Setting the elevation on the Console sets the barometric pressure on them, but an Envoy doesn't know if you are at sea level in Florida or 10,000 feet in the Rockies.

Of course, it has been 18 months since I set my Envoy, so I could be mis-remembering. Set me straight?

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook