Author Topic: Interesting article about how browsers work on the inside  (Read 2136 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Interesting article about how browsers work on the inside
« on: January 12, 2020, 11:31:54 PM »
Dear WeatherCat web surfers,

I am a shameless Firefox user, in part because I have been using it or its evolutionary ancestors since it was first called Mosaic.  However, I found an article that I think is worth reading even if you aren't convinced by it.  The title is: "I finally switched from Chrome to Mozilla Firefox."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/mozilla-firefox-chrome-review-comparison-2020/

This person's perspective is perhaps more relevant to this community since he is a Mac user as well, but I wouldn't expect many people to be convinced to switch browsers.  Nonetheless, the article is I think an interesting read because of inside story of how Mozilla engineers have been working to speed up their product.  That sort of engineering must be going on for all the browsers.  So it is an insight into the current state of browser competition.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Apologies for the 1/2 posting! (Re: Interesting article about browsers)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 09:00:07 PM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful,

Apologies for the posting above being actually 1/2 of what I wrote!  I don't know why the link and second paragraph didn't get stored away, but I've restored it to my original intentions and it appears to be okay at the moment.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Interesting article about how browsers work on the inside
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 09:38:25 PM »
[banghead] Mizteak? What misteak! Eyedon ceekno erez! cmu:-)
Always blame the inanimate object!
 ThU32:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 10:28:15 PM »
I added VPN to my iPhone and Ipad as well as the wife's .    I have it available for my imac, but really don't need that.  I am using Norton 360  and Dashlane on my units.  they are secure  and so far no nasties have arrived.    I was more worried when I was uploading data from the computer to my website of having an oportunistic hack following the line of command in.

Anyway,  Still I handle what the FireFox does or the safari.   I did find that  with Weatherlink Live, if I use Firefox, I can look at the page and see the values of each item, but with the safari nope, only the graphics. I figure the nature of the beast.   

Each browser has a host of new things to make our lives interesting, especially Firefox 72.0.1
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 02:04:47 AM »
Note that Weatheraardvark mentioned the latest version of Firefox! Apparently, version 72.0 had a security problem that was being actively exploited and caused Homeland Security to issue a warningabout it. At least Mozilla fixed things promptly.

If you are not automatically updating Firefox, be sure to check your version and make the update manually. [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 04:26:16 AM »
I auto update automatic  but then again I an 72 and a Boomer. [rock]
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Apologies for the 1/2 posting! (Re: Interesting article about browsers)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 05:21:53 PM »

Apologies for the posting above being actually 1/2 of what I wrote!  I don't know why the link and second paragraph didn't get stored away, but I've restored it to my original intentions and it appears to be okay at the moment.

I've noticed this behavior repeatedly since the site software update, and posted about it in that thread as a possible bug. It is frustrating, and if it happens, I typically don't bother to re-type my post, instead deleting the partial post and moving on...
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Curious bug. (Re: Apologies for the 1/2 posting!)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »
Dear X-Air, Weatheraardvark, Steve and WeatherCat faithful,

I've noticed this behavior repeatedly since the site software update, and posted about it in that thread as a possible bug. It is frustrating, and if it happens, I typically don't bother to re-type my post, instead deleting the partial post and moving on...

Okay, this is the first time I've noticed the problem.  If it is a forum software bug it is certainly disappointing.  Hopefully Stu can pry free a little time to look into it.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Curious bug. (Re: Apologies for the 1/2 posting!)
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »
<snip> Hopefully Stu can pry free a little time to look into it.

Stu already responded in the thread, sounds like it's not a quick fix.