Author Topic: Vantage Vue to Vantage Pro  (Read 2262 times)

Greg

• Calm
    • EW4281
    • KNMSANTA53
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
Vantage Vue to Vantage Pro
« on: February 24, 2019, 07:34:37 PM »
I know there is the Wiki article for switching WeatherCat from one computer to another but I can't find anything on what would be involved in changing your weather station hardware. Could you go from a Vue to a Pro and still retain your historical data? I'm not in any rush to do this but wondering if I have that option when something fails (got to thinking about it because my Vue power adapter suddenly died this week).

Thanks-
Greg

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Data stored on your Mac! (Re: Vantage Vue to Vantage Pro)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 10:48:44 PM »
Dear Greg and WeatherCat station caregivers,

I know there is the Wiki article for switching WeatherCat from one computer to another but I can't find anything on what would be involved in changing your weather station hardware. Could you go from a Vue to a Pro and still retain your historical data? I'm not in any rush to do this but wondering if I have that option when something fails (got to thinking about it because my Vue power adapter suddenly died this week).

To cover all the bases, you could simply purchase a replacement power adapter and get your Vantage Vue working again.  This could be an interesting idea even if you decide to upgrade to Vantage Pro-2, because the Vantage Vue console can read the data from Vantage Pro-2 instrument cluster.  So you could get two consoles as part of the upgrade.

To answer your main question - absolutely!  The weather data that has been downloaded by WeatherCat is stored on your hard drive.  So long as WeatherCat is running, the data is already safe on your Mac.  The only issue would be any data lost during the station transition.

Since clearly you are considering an upgrade, you might want to spend some time considering how you might want to do this and where would you purchase your new station.  You might not be aware that Davis stations are heavily discounted at various dealers.  We'll be glad to share with you our favorites.  The other issue is that a Vantage Pro-2 separates the anemometer from the other instruments.  It is worth thinking about how you want to set up your instruments to get the best data.  Once more we'll be glad to help!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Greg

• Calm
    • EW4281
    • KNMSANTA53
Re: Vantage Vue to Vantage Pro
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 11:09:44 PM »
Edouard-

Thanks for your quick reply. I think my first post was perhaps not as clear us I should have been. I did order a new power adapter to get my Vue up and running again. So I took care of that. But when my station first went down and I had not identified the adapter as the issue, I did start thinking of what I would do when the station was truly broken and I had to replace it. At that point I think I would consider the Pro. However I thought, mistakenly I hope, that the database created for the Vue and the history it contained would not be capable if I swapped in a Pro. If this is not the case then it sounds like I could change weather station equipment without impacting WeatheCat and its data?

Thanks for your help. For now my station is down waiting for the aforementioned adapter.

Greg

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Data isn't in Vue but on Mac! (Re: Vantage Vue to Vantage Pro)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 11:27:59 PM »
Dear Greg and WeatherCat station caregivers,

If this is not the case then it sounds like I could change weather station equipment without impacting WeatheCat and its data?

100% correct!  All the data downloaded WeatherCat is already on your Mac!

However I thought, mistakenly I hope, that the database created for the Vue and the history it contained would not be capable if I swapped in a Pro.

WeatherCat has its own format for storing data that is completely independent of the weather station.  Many users have upgraded their weather station without losing any data.

So stop worrying about losing data and start daydreaming about a station upgrade!  [sleep]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 12:24:57 PM »
Greg:

Several years ago I upgraded to a VP2 Plus. I was able to simply start up the new Davis hardware and keep going. After I had the new one up and running, I sent the old ISS unit back to Davis for a complete refurb and now I have a spare unit for down the road when I swap out the hardware again.
Blick

Greg

• Calm
    • EW4281
    • KNMSANTA53
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I am happy to know I can start the daydreaming!

Greg