Author Topic: PWSweather down for maintenance  (Read 9631 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
PWSweather down for maintenance
« on: April 04, 2012, 02:20:03 PM »
I don't know how may use PWSweather, but they will be down for a few days maintenance. I send them data via my Weather Underground feed, so there's nothing to change. But if any of you send data directly, you'll see errors.

PWSweather.com will be down for a few days as we make some moves and changes.  A sudden problem at the current host has forced us into immediately making a drastic move we had been planning on doing but with much less downtime.  We apologize in advance for the inconvenience and downtime.

Considering this is only the second downtime of more than a few hours during the last 11+ years we're not doing too bad. 

Thanks for your patience.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Ya' don't say! :-) (Re: PWSweather down for maintenance)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »
Howdy Steve and WeatherCat fans  [cat]

I don't know how may use PWSweather, but they will be down for a few days maintenance. I send them data via my Weather Underground feed, so there's nothing to change. But if any of you send data directly, you'll see errors.

Oh, do ya' mean something like the attachment?  ;)

Anyone using my LWC Web Data Uploader script to upload to PWS Weather might see error messages like this.  The latest version has a different way to getting errors back from the server, so you might see something different.

Thanks Steve for the explanation!!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Re: PWSweather down for maintenance
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »
I don't know how may use PWSweather, but they will be down for a few days maintenance. I send them data via my Weather Underground feed,

That's interesting Steve, as I can't seem to get Edouard's LWC Apple Script to send data to my PWS account how can I send it via my Weather Underground account ?

Cheers

John

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: PWSweather down for maintenance
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:53:33 PM »
I don't know how may use PWSweather, but they will be down for a few days maintenance. I send them data via my Weather Underground feed,

That's interesting Steve, as I can't seem to get Edouard's LWC Apple Script to send data to my PWS account how can I send it via my Weather Underground account ?

Cheers

John

I'm sorry, I was confusing my accounts. I tried using WeatherSnoop recently alongside WeatherCat. WeatherSnoop was able to use my WeatherUnderground feed as the stain input. And another service called AnythingWeather uses my WeatherUnderground feed. I do use Edouard's script to upload to PWSweather.

Which begs the question, Edouard; why am I not getting any Growl messages about problems with PWSweather on the new script?
Steve
(no, I haven't fiddled with the email you sent yet. )
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Gotta use the sekret option!! (Re: PWSweather down)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 03:30:57 AM »
Howdy Steve, JC, and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

Which begs the question, Edouard; why am I not getting any Growl messages about problems with PWSweather on the new script?

Well, . . . it could be my computer was just "lucky" . . . .  [computer]

Or . . . . .

Do you have the useLynx option set to true in WC Web Uploader?  By switching to using Lynx to send the upload string, the script gets back the error messages in plain text and has a better chance to reporting them back to you.  If you haven't tried turning this option on, please do.  I would be very interested to see if works okay for you.

By the way gang, Steve has let out the bag that he has been playing with the new and improved versions of my AppleScripts that I've been promising to get into your hands for ages.  I hope to start sharing them with veterans of the scripts reasonably soon.  Unfortunately there is no updated documentation, so if you haven't made them work before, you don't stand a chance without some explanation.  In the meantime, i'm still trying to solve a problem with allowing the scripts to work in other languages.  I may have "stumped" the gurus on MacScripters.net.  Hopefully someone will get back to me soon though. 

So until then . . . . be good . . . . . and have patience!!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
Re: Gotta use the sekret option!! (Re: PWSweather down)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 04:26:01 AM »

Do you have the useLynx option set to true in WC Web Uploader?  By switching to using Lynx to send the upload string, the script gets back the error messages in plain text and has a better chance to reporting them back to you.  If you haven't tried turning this option on, please do.  I would be very interested to see if works okay for you.

Yes, it is. No notification that PWSweather isn't working.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Re: Gotta use the sekret option!! (Re: PWSweather down)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »

By the way gang, Steve has let out the bag that he has been playing with the new and improved versions of my AppleScripts that I've been promising to get into your hands for ages.  I hope to start sharing them with veterans of the scripts reasonably soon.  Unfortunately there is no updated documentation, so if you haven't made them work before, you don't stand a chance without some explanation. have patience!!

You're not taking this seriously Edouard, just taken the easy option, you know they need a proper serious test and need to be shared with people that will never stand a chance of getting them to work........... [computer] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead]

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
But PWSWeather is working!! (Re: PWSweather down)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:17:55 PM »
Howdy Steve and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Yes, it is. No notification that PWSweather isn't working.

But, but, but . . . . there's a good reason for that.  PWSweather is working!!  I just checked my site and the last update was a few minutes ago.  They may be struggling hard to keep the site up, but they are mostly succeeding.  The three errors I caught may have been truly the luck of the draw.  Give credit to these guys, their site has been indeed tough as nails.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Should have failed then!! (Re: sekret option!!)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »
Howdy John and WeatherCat AppleScript adventurers . .

You're not taking this seriously Edouard, just taken the easy option, you know they need a proper serious test and need to be shared with people that will never stand a chance of getting them to work........... [computer] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead]

;) What's the problem?  You didn't bash your head on the old versions enough?  [lol2]

Little did you know how low my confidence was when I shared them with Steve.  The subject of the email in which I offered them to Steve was (and I quote:)

*YOU* - have SEALED your FATE!!! :-) (Re:  quick AppleScript test?)
  [lol]

So worry not, you'll get your chance to be frustrated soon enough!!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
Re: But PWSWeather is working!! (Re: PWSweather down)
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 07:39:06 PM »

But, but, but . . . . there's a good reason for that.  PWSweather is working!!

It must have just come back, then. I was getting a can't load error. THe historical charts for me start at none EDT, which was 2-1/2 hours ago.

[EDIT] Over on the WXforum, weatherforyou posted:
PWSweather.com is back up as of about 9:30AM PDT.

Sorry again for the downtime.  Our moves are usually much smoother than this even when we have a failure.  But our (former) host had become not very flexible in our options.  This new system will give us greater capabilities to expand as needed.

It is on a new system which means there may be some DNS propagation that needs to work its way through the Internet to some.  But a large number of stations are already sending data.  So if your computer hasn't found the new location yet it probably will soon. 

Thanks for your patience and for being a part of PWSweather.com!
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Wasn't giving an error (Re: PWSWeather is working!!)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »
Howdy Steve and PWSweather data uploaders,

It must have just come back, then. I was getting a can't load error. THe historical charts for me start at none EDT, which was 2-1/2 hours ago.

;) Bummer dude!  I hate when someone shows me something like this!!  >:(

Yup, Steve you are right!   [tup] PWSweather has been down without generating any error messages from my script.  I just took a look at the code and the reason is because they had a server address just accepting the connection and not generating any error codes back.  An "empty" string (i.e. only spaces or stuff like that) is considered a success by the script.

I'll take a look to see if they have a stricter criteria for successful submission an update the script accordingly.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Remains a mystery (Re: PWSWeather is working!!)
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:30:20 AM »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat contributors to PWSweather.com

It must have just come back, then. I was getting a can't load error.

Actually that is what I would have expected.  However my WC Web Data Uploader ran the whole time without any errors.

I checked with Steve about his initial contacts with PWSweather.com and got the email of Joe Torsitano of WeatherForYou.com.  When I asked him about error codes I should have been looking for he replied:

During the recent outage the server was completely down.  So the response
would have been whatever the user's ISP or system says when a server isn't
available.  So I'm not sure how you would detect that in the script.

Trouble is, when I run a test by modifying the the hostname to something that obviously doesn't exist - I get the sort of error I would have expected from the script.  However, when I look at the log files from the outage period, there are log entries insisting data was successfully uploaded to PWSweather.com.

So I don't understand this one.  The only think I can imagine is some funky caching of old pages on the part of Lynx when a page is inaccessible?  However, that doesn't sound right to me.  A web browser is supposed to fail when the URL is inaccessible, so I don't get this.  I'll continue to poke around and report if I find something.

P.S. Just to make sure, was anyone else uploading data to PWSweather April 3-5 using LWC Web Data Uploader?  Did anyone else notice any errors?