Author Topic: My Town's Rain Repelling Phenomenon  (Read 8371 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: My Town's Rain Repelling Phenomenon
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 06:35:01 PM »
Just had a professional lawnmower guy pick up my big mower to sharpen its 3 blades. I know when I've had enough!

So you can teach on old dog new tricks after all.  [tup]
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Spoiling that mower! (Was: Rain Repelling Phenomenon)
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 08:00:42 PM »
Howdy Herb and WeatherCat weekend warriors, . . . .

Just had a professional lawnmower guy pick up my big mower to sharpen its 3 blades. I know when I've had enough!

;) . . . . .  I dunno' Herb, I still think you are spoiling that mower!! . . . . .   [biggrin]

I haven't come to the point where I'm very worried about sharpening the blade on my power because it is just 2 years ago and our lawn is . . . . mostly wild weed!!  ;D

However, Dad and I worked on our mowers much like da' trusty wagon.  Our first lawn mower was bought at about the same time as I was born - early 1960s!!  I only remember an attempt to sharpen the blade once and . . . . it wasn't entirely satisfactory.  That machine actually lasted into the 1980s.  I only replaced our last mower because I goofed and ran it on old gas.  Now I'm more careful and add fuel stabilizer! 

Still, I won't sharpen the blade for . . . oh . . . at least two more years . . .   Gotta to allow the existing blade to . . . . season!! [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro2 (daytime FARS) w/ Macbook OS 10.9.2
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 09:51:18 PM »
Edouard and everyone,

I won't sharpen the blade for . . . oh . . . at least two more years . . .   Gotta to allow the existing blade to . . . . season!!

I'm so glad I stumbled across this lawnmower forum because I've always thought that if I ever caught one of my neighbors on my lawn with a magnifying glass, looking for torn grass blades, then and only then would I take the time to sharpen my blades and ruin that nice patina that we're looking for. Also, with little rain these days, thinner grass makes sharper blades less and less necessary.

On another note, I really did email a Dallas TV meteorologist about the title theme of this thread. He said:

"Never heard that? or noticed it on radar.

Cities do produce a rain-shadow. Because of the additional particle matter (condensation nuclei) and heat they can wring out a little more rain out of a system. Sometimes the only place it?s raining is downwind from a major city.
"

I'll never watch that channel again. [lol] And besides, there's something wrong with that channel anyway; year after year they keep showing the Cowboys playing lousy football.  [banghead] Not to mention the fact that I thought "rain-shadow" meant the blocking of rain, not inducing rain.

Or maybe "rain-shadow" is radar terminology.

Keith

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 11:27:45 PM »
 Moon shadow is a sung about by Cat Stevens but he never mentioned rain shadow.
Blick

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »
Blick,

That would've been WeatherCat Stevens    ::)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »
That would've been WeatherCat Stevens    ::)

Ha ha Keith! I bow to your superior wit.
Blick

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 07:38:40 PM »
Blick,

Ha ha Keith! I bow to your superior wit.

If it was a competition, I wouldn't stand a chance.

Is that a new emoticon I see, the one that's two over to the right from the "woohoo" owl----that little rock-n-roll dude all wigged out on caffeine or speed or whatever? We should take up a collection and get him to the emergency room.

Well heck--I'll just put him in here. This little guy  [headbang]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Like cloud seeding. (Re: My Town's Rain Repelling Phenomenon)
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »
Hi Keith, Blick, and WeatherCat yardwork weather watchers,

I'm so glad I stumbled across this lawnmower forum

;) . . . . Just wait for Stu to come up with a WeatherCat plug-in that will automatically tell your lawn mower robot when is the best time to mow!

Now all we need is for those morons at Google to stop wasting their time with autonomous cars and make something really useful - a autonomous lawn mower!!
  [lol2]

On another note, I really did email a Dallas TV meteorologist about the title theme of this thread. He said:

"Never heard that? or noticed it on radar.

Cities do produce a rain-shadow. Because of the additional particle matter (condensation nuclei) and heat they can wring out a little more rain out of a system. Sometimes the only place it?s raining is downwind from a major city.
"

Maybe you won't ever watch that station again, but what the guy is saying does make sense.  After all, it is the same principle as cloud seeding.  Since that does have some effect, odds are particulate pollution will result in less rain some distance downwind from the pollution source.  It is a interesting question of how the enormous pollution problem in China might be effecting the weather downwind.  The jet stream does blow west to east and down wind from that pollution source is - the drought stricken western United States.  Could China be creating a vast rain shadow that is making the drought worse?

Something to ponder . . .

P.S. In case you didn't know, pollution can travel vast distances.  It has been proven that sand from the Sahara is blown as far as the Caribbean!  :o

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 08:53:14 PM »
Hi Edouard,

Google has nothing on Stu. If he could only program a lawnmower to be drought-powered...

This is where that meteorologist's quote seems conflicting to me. First, here's the quote again:

Cities do produce a rain-shadow. Because of the additional particle matter (condensation nuclei) and heat they can wring out a little more rain out of a system. Sometimes the only place it?s raining is downwind from a major city."

That last sentence seems to imply that the seeding is causing it to rain downwind, as opposed to preventing it from raining downwind. But his use of the term "rain-shadow" in the first sentence seems to contradict this, because "rain-shadow" implies less rain downwind, as you mentioned, Edouard.

Have mercy on my low IQ soul, I just don't get it.

Keith

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
So he can't speak English!! (Re: My Town's Rain Repelling Phenomenon)
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »
Hi Keith and WeatherCat fans of our glorious leader - Stu!  [rockon]

Google has nothing on Stu.

You can say that again!!  [tup]

This is where that meteorologist's quote seems conflicting to me.

Well, the guy may not be able to express himself, but the concept makes sense from a physics point of view.  Immediately downwind of a pollution generating region there should be more rainfall because of the cloud seeding effect.  Locations further downwind from the pollution could therefore get less rain because their moisture supply has been effectively "stolen" by the upwind "seeding."  It is a complex concept to describe - the guy could have described it wrong.

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »
Good explanation, Edouard. I buy that.

Okay, I'll watch that TV station again, regardless of their ruthless depiction of Cowboys games. (emoticon of a guy repeatedly hitting his own hand with a hammer)

By the way, my genuine condolences to England for their World Cup loss!!!!  :'(

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 04:05:16 AM »
By the way, my genuine condolences to England for their World Cup loss!!!!  :'(

I second the motion.
Blick