Author Topic: The long-awaited upgrade to the US weather forecast model is here  (Read 2288 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Mark your calendars! It?s been almost 40 years since the model got a new core. Scott K. Johnson, Ars Technica - 6/12/2019, 2:00 PM
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: The long-awaited upgrade to the US weather forecast model is here
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 03:59:57 PM »
Only been out a day and some are already complaining. Regarding the new model, I say it's about time and I'm looking forward to drawing my own conclusions in the coming months.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:46:33 PM »
Some interesting comments from "weather consumers" that indicate confusion between forecasts and actual weather events. Apparently, using "percentages" creates expectations that things (forecast events) will actually happen. Some people think a local thunderstorm, even one that is a dozen miles wide will create rain for the entire state or at least their entire county! [rolleyes2] To many, a "70% chance of rain" seems to mean it will rain for 70% of the day! [banghead] It's no wonder that lots of people can't understand the difference between climate and weather... :o
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat observers of forecast technology,

Mark your calendars! It?s been almost 40 years since the model got a new core. Scott K. Johnson, Ars Technica - 6/12/2019, 2:00 PM

Thanks for the pointer.  It is interesting that the consensus view continues to hold that the European model does a better job.  In watching the forecasts, I've also come to take the European model more seriously if there is a conflict.

Some interesting comments from "weather consumers" that indicate confusion between forecasts and actual weather events. Apparently, using "percentages" creates expectations that things (forecast events) will actually happen. Some people think a local thunderstorm, even one that is a dozen miles wide will create rain for the entire state or at least their entire county! [rolleyes2] To many, a "70% chance of rain" seems to mean it will rain for 70% of the day! [banghead] It's no wonder that lots of people can't understand the difference between climate and weather... :o

Sad but true.  Unfortunately, how weather statistics are supposed to be used isn't particularly well explained to the public.  I just made a quick search for such an explanation and failed.  Can anybody else find a reference that we could point someone to if needed?

In general, statistics is a very slippery subject that desperately few people understand. It isn't covered in high school and isn't required of all college graduates.  Yet many of the decisions the general public make today require some understanding of statistics - just how is the public supposed to do this?  ???

Indeed we live in "curious" times . . . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

glenwood

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW7759
    • KWAGLENW2
    • Glenwood Washington Weather
  • Station Details: macOS Monterey 12.6.8 Davis Vantage Pro2: WeatherCat
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 02:55:51 PM »
Latest blog from Cliff Mass, professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Washington :   EPIC: The Last Chance for National Weather Service Weather Modeling to Regain Leadership?      https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/08/epic-last-chance-for-national-weather.html

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for sharing. (Re: the US weather forecast model)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 09:31:07 PM »
Dear glenwood and WeatherCat observers of the weather forecast infrastructure,

Latest blog from Cliff Mass, professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Washington :   EPIC: The Last Chance for National Weather Service Weather Modeling to Regain Leadership?      https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/08/epic-last-chance-for-national-weather.html

Thanks for sharing!   [tup]  I can't say I wasn't expecting this but it is interesting that there might be a golden opportunity to put the United States back in the weather modeling game.

[wink] . . . . . There was just one comment that "puzzled" me a bit.

Too many Federal agencies  or government-supported labs trying to do the same thing (NOAA/NWS, Air Force, NASA, Navy, NCAR)

What!?!?  You mean that the Air Force and the Navy don't cooperate on such things?  What about the Army? Don't they have their own weather forecasters?  Otherwise how can they plan for the Army Navy football match? . . . . . 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 03:15:10 PM »

Very interesting read glenwood. Thank you for sharing.
Blick