Author Topic: Webcam Time Lapse  (Read 3168 times)

parkernathan

• Gentle Breeze
    • WeatherTogether
Webcam Time Lapse
« on: May 16, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »
In WeatherCat, can I import my network webcam (Stardot NetCam XL) into it and build time lapses with it? According to the website, sounds like you can. I'm looking for a solution like this and it'd be GREAT if WC offered this!

Thanks!
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at: http://weathertogether.net

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
Re: Webcam Time Lapse
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »
You can.  Go into WC preferences and go into the webcam preference pane.  You'll find your controls there for the webcam and what to do with the images.  For time-lapse you'll need to set your capture rate and tell WC to save your movies for 7 days.  If memory serves me, you'll have files that are one hour time-lapse movies for each of the seven days.  These you'll have to combine using Quicktime or some other video related tool to get a 24 hour movie.  I use this for my web site, but I don't keep the 24 hour/7 day archive because of EvoCam.  I just have the last hour's time-lapse that is generated by WC.  The WC files are smaller than the EvoCam files.

OR.....

You can get EvoCam, which will also do time-lapse, and it will take the video load off of WC.  I generate a 24 hour time-lapse movie every day for my research associate, these files are quite large because they are taken at 4 second intervals (WC's shortest is 5 seconds, which isn't bad).  Each 24 hour file can run up to as much as 16gig each, so you'll need lot's of storage space.  I've been doing this for years now.
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

parkernathan

• Gentle Breeze
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:15:37 AM »
So with EvoCam I could do everything in one file? Would it output "HD quality" videos, and could I also put a logo somewhere on the time-lapse? That'd be perfect if I could. Really liking the sound of EvoCam.
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at: http://weathertogether.net

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »
Yes, you can do everything in one file.  I set mine to make a new file each day starting at midnight, usually taking one image every 4 seconds, which provides a fairly fluid image flow, specially with cloud formations.  During storms I may change that to every 2 seconds, which slows down the storms a bit.  As far as HD quality, I'm not sure on that, I think EvoCam is certainly capable of it.  Mostly it depends on the camera and it's driver, specially if you are direct connected.  My system takes the image from a standard composite video feed coming off a video relay transmitter that I use to keep cables from running through the house and to keep my wife from strangling me with it  [wink]   I think you can still try EvoCam for like 30 days and see if you like it.  Their support people over there are pretty good about helping with new cameras too, if they don't currently support one, they can work with you (it's been a while, they did work with me a few times).

Hope that helps a little.

Doc

ps, if you look at my camera at present, you may see images from several different cameras, a night sky 360? camera, and an all day camera in wide angle set to the northern sky 24/7.  Unfortunately, I loose a bit of focus due to the transmitter relay, I've been working on that for over a year now.  It's a major pain.   [sweat2]
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!