Author Topic: Humble request #2: some way to clear FTP queue during overdrive events?  (Read 2869 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat fans,

GoDaddy, which is the provider that hosts my weather website, is clearly having "issuez."   Every now and then they take down my virtual server and WeatherCat will quickly reach a point of an FTP overdrive event.

When such things happen, I usually just disable FTP uploads until the problem goes away.  However, I just realized that this won't do entirely what I really want.  The FTP queue sits as full as it was when the FTP overdrive error was generated.  So WeatherCat stubbornly keeps trying to FTP these files when . . . . . there ain't no way.  [banghead]

I don't know how much of a problem this is for everyone else, but I thought I would toss out the problem for "eventual down the road" consideration.  Could there be some way to clear out the FTP queue when your web hosting server is down for an extended period of time? 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Does WeatherCat do this sort of thing automatically if the data is sufficiently "stale?"

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Hi Edouard
 Yes they were down for almost 8 hrs here before I could get to my web site  [banghead]

cheers
 [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
it will eventually drop them if they get too old - certain errors cause it drop the whole queue if it can determine there's no internet connectivity at all - however, if only one destination is down but the others are still up it currently won't drop the whole queue.

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
    • Cecil County Maryland Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Re: Humble request #2: some way to clear FTP queue during overdrive events?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 12:25:30 PM »
Hi All,

I wanted to join the thread in that I too am having this issue.  My provider, greengeeks.com, has basically told me that I need to limit my FTP connections.  My only FTP connection is with WC.  While I occasionally had this issue before, but I seem to have this more since moving to v2.

Jay

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 05:16:21 PM »
Hi Jay,
There haven't been any changes to the FTP code or upload periods - the only advice I can give is to reduce the frequency of the uploads.

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
    • Cecil County Maryland Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:44:07 AM »
Yeah, figured as much that it was coincidental.  I will play around with reducing the uploads.