WeatherCat > Development Blog

Fine Offset

(1/5) > >>

WCDev:
So we get more requests to support Fine Offset stations than anything else - I've honestly lost count of the number enquiries for this hardware. These are rebranded to many names and Maplin are currently doing a good deal on the WH1081, so yesterday, as if by magic, one arrived - ?59 including all taxes.

Today, seeing as it's raining, I thought I'd set it up :)

Assembly isn't too difficult, but there are screws and bolts of varying lengths and it isn't totally clear which goes where. In the kit you get a slim, two part pole which holds all the sensors. Wind is taken care of by a wind vane and anemometer - these mount on one plastic beam which sits on top of the pole. The rain bucket mounts on another beam, which clamps to the pole and the thermo/hygro unit mounts on another beam, which again is clamped to the pole. I've attached some images - ignore the Davis ISS below, it was just convenient for me to bolt the Fine Offset pole to the pole holding the ISS. This is not the ideal location for the anemometer, but as you can see it's only a  temporary installation to get some data. Cath, is not happy :)

The rain bucket (I'd strongly recommend moving it off the wobbly plastic beam and mounting it more securely) and anemometer plug into the the thermo/hygro unit which takes two AA batteries - the manual claims these will last for 24 months (they won't).

Inside, the touch-screen console (see attached images) sits on my desk - this takes three AA batteries (12 months life claims the manual). The wireless connection seems fine, with no problems picking up the signal from the thermo/hygro unit at least initially.

What we're going to do is monitor how stable/reliable it is. My job tomorrow is to start hacking the data and putting the station driver together. I know there are some issues with this hardware - the data-logger doesn't time stamp entries for example, and the update rate of 48 seconds is a lot slower than I'd like, but if we can get it going and it's reliable we'll put it out for a test run.

I'll update as things progress....

Steve:
Cool! THis is going to generate a lot of interest. THe only downside I see is cost. A $79 application to use a $400-1200 station is fine, $79 to run a $99 station might be harder to swallow until the new user tries WC and finds how easy it is to use and how configurable it is.

Thanks for starting on this,
Steve

elagache:
Howdy Stu, Steve, and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

--- Quote from: WCDev on August 25, 2012, 06:58:58 PM ---So we get more requests to support Fine Offset stations than anything else - I've honestly lost count of the number enquiries for this hardware. These are rebranded to many names and Maplin are currently doing a good deal on the WH1081, so yesterday, as if by magic, one arrived - ?59 including all taxes.
--- End quote ---

Hurray!!  I just had to send someone on MacWeather to Weather Snoop because they had bought one of these and . . . . *sniff*

--- Quote from: WCDev on August 25, 2012, 06:58:58 PM ---Today, seeing as it's raining, I thought I'd set it up :)
--- End quote ---

;) Hmm, does that mean you cannot set up a weather station unless it is raining? Golly, nobody ever told me that!!  [lol2]

Thanks for all the detailed info on the installation.  I know so little about other models that when folks ask questions about them . . . I can't help but think: "couldn't you just buy a Davis station that I know something about?"  ;)

It is good for all of us to have some idea of how the various weather stations go together and perform.  Thanks to modern digital cameras, not as hard to document such things as it once was.

Thank Stu for all the things you do!!

--- Quote from: Steve on August 25, 2012, 07:57:24 PM ---The only downside I see is cost. A $79 application to use a $400-1200 station is fine, $79 to run a $99 station might be harder to swallow until the new user tries WC and finds how easy it is to use and how configurable it is.

--- End quote ---

Well, that's true, but what alternative to Mac users really have?  It might take some gentle persuasion, but there is only WeatherCat and WeatherSnoop and they cost about the same.  I went a year with my Oregon Scientific 968 that wasn't connected to my computer and . . . . what a difference when I got LWC!!  [bounce]

Just gotta explain what you gain!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

HairyMcLeary:
These (re-branded) models are very popular here down under, and I have been asked many times if WC will work with them.

I have heard they are often unreliable but parts are replaced under warranty , no questions asked, so people seem to keep with them.

I will follow your progress with interest.

Tony

Steve:

--- Quote from: elagache on August 25, 2012, 08:16:08 PM ---Well, that's true, but what alternative to Mac users really have?  It might take some gentle persuasion, but there is only WeatherCat and WeatherSnoop and they cost about the same.
--- End quote ---

True for the most part. Ambient sells their version of the Fine Offset models bundled with WeatherSnoop Lite, and WeatherSnoop Lite is available as a standalone product. It still processes data and uploads to WU, PWS, CWOP and a basic web page (I think) but doesn't have the gauges to display on your desktop. I think it is $29.

We just need to convince the people questioning the value of WC compared to their initial investment. Remember just shy of a year ago, I was all set to spend $109 on the Ambient system to see if I'd like observing local conditions. Y'all convinced me to spend $97,000 on my system instead, and I'm glad you did!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version