Author Topic: Can I write a program? Not with html!!  (Read 1600 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Can I write a program? Not with html!!
« on: February 05, 2017, 10:48:50 PM »
Apparently, there are some misconceptions about what "HTML" is and what it does. It is, unfortunately, often confused with "programming". The closest connection it has to programming is that it can be created with a keyboard. [lol] But, no matter how it is created, it is still nothing but plain text. Write a letter, poem or gibberish in TextEdit, save it with a suffix of ".txt". Now change the file suffix to ".html" (or even ".htm") and any browser will happily display it.  ThU32:-)

Despite the label of "Hypertext Markup Language", it should not be called a "language" in the programming sense. It is simply a universally accepted set of 'tags' to tell any app that can use them how to display the text/image(s)/etc. in a plain text document. One does not 'program' with html. All html does is put markers (tags) into a text document. It does not create the document or the app that displays the document.

HTML uses "<" and ">" to surround one of the several dozen key words or 'tags'. The New Message editor here and most other forums use "[" and "]" instead but exactly the same 'tags'. The main reason for that is the security of the forum.

I don't think I've ever told any one that they must use html to get what they want. On the other hand, telling people that they can't create an html document is something I will never do, no matter how old they might be. Whether or not some one wants to learn something, no matter how easy or difficult we might consider it, is for them to decide, not any of us. I would only ask that if you suggest or recommend some one use any particular method, be willing to offer them help with that method. That is one of the core ideals of this forum, in my opinion. [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system