Author Topic: Wisdom on Dynamic DNS services?  (Read 11756 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Wisdom on Dynamic DNS services?
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:25:34 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,

The Grand Poohbah has asked us to make our current conditions available publicly so we could have a map.  However, that does mean we solve this dynamic DNS problem.  Stu used dyndns.org service that has been around I think for over a decade and used to be a favorite of the LINUX home-server crowd.  Steve has gone with no-ip.com.

All of a sudden I'm feeling like a man with two watches . . . . .  [lol]

Is there any pearls of wisdom about these services?  Are there any others worth thinking about? It doesn't seem too expensive, but I'd prefer to understand a little better the pros and cons of these systems before hitching up on a particular service.

Also, is there anything else we might want to be using dynamic DNS services for?  Steve mentions access to home cameras (not a bad use.)  Is there any reason to imagine WeatherCat would use this sort of thing in some other way?

Opinions solicited!!  [bounce]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Tornado Tim

• Strong Breeze
    • Matangi Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 with Solar and WLIP Datalogger (via VVP)
Re: Wisdom on Dynamic DNS services?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:05:19 PM »
I use Dynamic DNS and it works really well, I have used the free version (where you pick from a list of end domain names) preceded by a name you wish to you on the domain.

Reliability on the DNS in itself is very good. I now use the paid services provided by them and have not had any problem in using them.

I highly recommend them :)

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 12:13:54 AM »
Hi Edouard
 To use either one you must have a static IP other than that they both work very well
 [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 01:17:27 AM »
I have a Sharx wireless IP camera, and it came with detailed setup instructions for how to use it with an Airport and either no-ip or dyndns. Both are free services with pay options for special domain names as Tim mentioned. I went with no-ip, because I could remember how to spell it better than dyndns. :D

Randall, you do not need to have a static IP to use these services. In fact, that is what they are designed to do; to simulate a static IP for those users who have ever-changing dynamic IP addresses, such as cable and DSL subscribers. If you have a static IP, you wouldn't need these services as far as I can tell.

As for other uses for such  service: If you wanted to run a server on your dynamic IP address I'd think you'd need to use it to point back to your computer, or if you had any sort of shared folder or file on your computer. I have it on my camera so I can see what is happening in my yard from anywhere I can get a wifi or cell signal.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Tornado Tim

• Strong Breeze
    • Matangi Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 with Solar and WLIP Datalogger (via VVP)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:18:42 AM »
Hi Edouard
 To use either one you must have a static IP other than that they both work very well
 [cheers1]
No you dont, thats the whole purpose of a dynamic DNS, so eachtime your IP changes the DYN client on your router and or PC will tell dyndns or whatever service it may be to your new IP :)
As long as your router has dyndns compatibility or use the PC client everything should be fine.

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 02:07:49 AM »
Hi cat Fans
 With my Internet Satellite the only thing I get is a 192.168.1.1 which is my router ip  I talk to both companies and you can't use DNS or no-ip with it without an personal address. all local networks have this 192.168.x.x and if you can tell me how it use it with my IP  192.168.1.253 Subnet 255.255.255.0 router 192.168.1.1  it would be great.I would have to  give my IP  20.00 more a month to get an static IP
 As long as your router has dyndns compatibility
       it does not Hughesnet blocks this

So maybe I was wrong but not all IP providers gives you access to dyndns compatibility

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A whole mess of 'em!! (Re: Dynamic DNS services?)
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 03:12:07 AM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

While researching some of the replies I came across this list of dynamic DNS providers:

http://dnslookup.me/dynamic-dns/

So just in case you needed a few more watches to get yourself really, really confused - here you are!!  [biggrin]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Randall, your ISP is cheatin'!! (Re: Dynamic DNS services?)
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:28:54 AM »
Howdy Randall and WeatherCat fans,

With my Internet Satellite the only thing I get is a 192.168.1.1 which is my router ip  I talk to both companies and you can't use DNS or no-ip with it without an personal address. all local networks have this 192.168.x.x and if you can tell me how it use it with my IP  192.168.1.253 Subnet 255.255.255.0 router 192.168.1.1  it would be great.I would have to  give my IP  20.00 more a month to get an static IP

Not sure what is going on here, but that shouldn't EVER happen.  I don't know how to make this simpler, but there are three groups of Internet addresses that are reserved for use on Intranets only.  That means they cannot appear on the "outside."  If you are assigned such an address, you effectively don't exist.

Now, normally computers on an intranet can still get access outside through a system called IP Masquerading or more recently called Network Address Translation (NAT).  That means there is one address accessible to the world, and all your computers on the Intranet use that address.  They "masquerade" as that public address one after the other taking turns to get outside.  Since multitasking is very fast, you effectively have directly access to the outside Internet and so does everyone else in your house, (organization, etc.)

Now on the "inside" of your home router, indeed the address should be an intranet address.  So my MacBook has the address of: 192.168.1.74.  However, we have a Mac as our network server and it's outside address is: 76.21.52.29.  In order to get "inside" it also has an "inside address" which is the key: 192.168.1.1.

Normally, your home router has this "outside address".  You need to dig into your documentation, but it probably has one.  With that, any of these dynamic DNS services will give access to your computer even if you have a home network using private addresses like most of us do.  All you need to do is run the software on the computer on the inside of your network that you want to get "outside."  The service will take care of the problem of making sure that the data gets to your computer even though the "dance" of  IP Masquerading.

The alternative is that your satellite provider is really cheating and using Intranet addresses for their own network.  Even so, these dynamic DNS services *might* work.  You'd have to try and see.  However, either your ISP is telling lies or is running a sloppy network.  You'll have to just do some experiments to find out which!  >:(

Aren't computers . . . . . fun  [banghead]

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 01:39:46 PM »
Hi Edouard and Cat Fans
Let;s see if I can shed some more light on this
If you go to what's my ip it gives an IP address of 69.19.14.23
If you try to go to this it takes you to the hughesnet server and there location
they block your address so you can not run a server with there system
they want you to but a static IP to get more money from you
I am out in the boonies and there is no other high speed internet out here
the only way to get high speed internet in with satellite and it is pretty fast but sucks
So  I can't use either dnsdyn or no-ip I have tried google about this and can not get it to work with there modem/router combo  and i have tried
thanks for the info but I have spent many hours trying to get it to work they block it all

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Darn right unfriendly! (Re: Dynamic DNS services?)
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »
Howdy Randall and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

If you go to what's my ip it gives an IP address of 69.19.14.23
If you try to go to this it takes you to the hughesnet server and there location
they block your address so you can not run a server with there system

I've heard of such things but still cannot imagine how they implement it unless they run their entire service as a kinda of Intranet.  Still as you say:

they want you to but a static IP to get more money from you
I am out in the boonies and there is no other high speed internet out here
the only way to get high speed internet in with satellite and it is pretty fast but sucks

And folks complained about the way the railroads behaved 100 years ago.

Oh well, to paraphrase George Santayana: Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it

Barzi

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4725
    • IFRIBURG2
    • M?t?o Sommentier
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue | WeatherLink USB MAC | Mac Mini end 2009 with 500 Gb SSD & Mac OS 10.11
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »
Just in case...

If you are using a IP webcam and a Mac with WeatherCat, you'll to configure your router with two separate port forwarding: one for the webcam, and one for the WeaterCat Client.

For exemple, for my webcam, I use the port 8080: cocker.dyndns.info:8080

WeatherCat Client use the port 49250: you can try this address in your WeatherCat client: cocker.dyndns.info:49250

Here is the port forwarding configuration on my Linksys modem-router:

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Oh, and your Mac who run WeatherCat must have a manual IP address

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »
There is an article in the WeatherCat Clients section of the WeatherCat Wiki wiki.trixology.com about how to up a Dynamic DNS Server for WeatherCat.

--grand

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thinking 5 years later? (Re: Wisdom on Dynamic DNS services?)
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »
Dear WeatherCat community,

Can you believe I started this thread almost 5 years ago?  I'm feeling old!

I was pondering finally setting my the iOS clients to be accessible outside the house and was wondering once more which dynamic IP address finding service to use.  I was considering afraid.org because they seem committed to keeping it free.  Some of the other services like dyndns.com are no longer available in a free version.

So what is current thinking on this sort of service these days?

A curious mind would like to know!!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 10:42:52 PM »
I have had a dyndns account for years (at least long enough to remember how to spell it), which works fine. I use it for my WeatherCat iPad app and for some security system software controls. I use my security system provider's enterprise account, still with dyndns, because I don't have to pay for it. Once in a while, not often, it seems a little slow to resolve. However, in the end, I decided to go with a static IP address. I live in a remote mountain area with one DSL provider. It costs me US$9.99 a month and for that I get a block of 5 IP addresses. I don't know why they made me buy 5. I would rather have paid $2 for one, but they don't offer that option. On holiday weekends, every cabin owner is here and the web gets pounded from sunup until sundown. Lots of streaming, etc. When I went with static IP it was like getting my own little private IP channel. I no longer find my broadband bogging down when the neighbours come to play. Totally worth it.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »
I've been using NoIP for about five years, http://www.noip.com/remote-access

It is free to use, but for some reason I can't recall, I upgraded to the Enhanced level. It shows $25/year, but I'm good through 2020 at $15/year less a 20% discount they frequently send out.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook