Author Topic: Proper data import for Davis WeatherLink  (Read 14466 times)

Ryan Hothersall

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis VP2plus with WeatherLink ip. Mac Mini & 27 imac 5k.
Proper data import for Davis WeatherLink
« on: August 07, 2018, 10:17:43 AM »
Myself and many others who have moved to WeatherCat from WeatherLink would dearly like a proper import tool for our historical data.

Sure it?s a one time use thing when you first set WeatherCat up, but if potential users thinking of trying WeatherCat know their data can be imported easily, it may just convince them that WeatherCat is the right software for them.

When I switched recently, I tried a app someone had made for data import, but I don?t think I did it right as all my historical data I tried to import doesn?t look right.

What do others think?.

oldcolonel

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 +
Re: Proper data import for Davis WeatherLink
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 11:13:34 PM »
i am wanting the same feature, so I can get rid of Weatherlink

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »
1st: Warm welcome to oldcolonel!  :)

2nd: I second an import tool for all kind of data (not only Weatherlink), although I personally do not need it.  8)

3rd: Very calm in the forum, we haven't heard anything from WCDev and Administrator a couple of weeks (months?).  :-[

Cheers,
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear oldcolonel, Reinhard, and WeatherCat faithful,

Let me join Reinhard in welcoming you to the WeatherCat forum! 

i am wanting the same feature, so I can get rid of Weatherlink

It is certainly important that everyone who wants this feature make their voice be heard.  It is the more popular upgrades that make it into WeatherCat.

3rd: Very calm in the forum, we haven't heard anything from WCDev and Administrator a couple of weeks (months?).  :-[

I have to assume that our fearless leader Stu (Stuart Ball, WeatherCat developer) is being really overwhelmed by his day job once more.  I wanted to send him a quick email to confirm this over the weekend, but I never found the time myself! . . .  :-[

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

AlexisT

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm also new here and considering to move from WeatherLink to another solution.  Like everyone we struggle with the import of historial data (since 2006).  I would also definitely appreciate an easy tool to take care of this migration. I've tried a tool that has been developped from one of the members.  It's easy to use, but the data are not necessarily migrated on the right place.
My trial is close to his end.  This is almost the only reason so far keep WeatherLink and to look forward for the right solution.

So why not giving priority to this development as far we seems to many within the same situation.

With all the best ...

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear AlexisT and WeatherCat faithful,

I'm also new here and considering to move from WeatherLink to another solution. 

Well let me welcome you to the WeatherCat forum nonetheless!

Like everyone we struggle with the import of historial data (since 2006).  I would also definitely appreciate an easy tool to take care of this migration. I've tried a tool that has been developped from one of the members.  It's easy to use, but the data are not necessarily migrated on the right place.
My trial is close to his end.  This is almost the only reason so far keep WeatherLink and to look forward for the right solution.

So why not giving priority to this development as far we seems to many within the same situation.

I wish I knew the answer to your question.  WeatherCat evolutionary ancestor was able to import data from a number of weather programs.  These importers disappeared in the transition to WeatherCat.  I've wondered if Davis might have something to do with that.  Davis is pursuing their own cloud-based system and might have put pressure on the 3rd party developers to not mess with their own software.

Before giving up completely, have you thought about contacting the person who wrote the small converter program?  If this could be patched up to work properly, that might be the easiest and least disruptive way to make the transition to WeatherCat.

Once more welcome.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
To simplify things I deleted my last post and combined it with this one.

A couple of years ago I needed to convert about 8 years worth of WeatherLink data over to WeatherCat.

The predecessor to WeatherCat, Lightsoft Weather Center (LWC), has a data importer app that will convert Davis WeatherLink data to LWC. The LWC data files are compatible with WeatherCat. Download here: https://download.cnet.com/Lightsoft-Weather-Center/3000-2130_4-179028.html

At the time I did this, my Mac was running OS X 10.11 El Capitan. I seem to recall either 10.11 not liking LWC or I didn't want LWC installing files on my current system, so I installed OS X 10.6 in VirtualBox and ran LWC there.

To refresh on how it worked, yesterday I installed OS X 10.6 in VirtualBox and ran LWC.

The data importer is accessible in the LWC menu, Tools, LWC Importer. Once selected, a prompt appeared notifying that to run LWC Importer (a separate app), LWC had to be shut down. For quicker access, I extracted the LWC Importer app from the LWC2.dmg and converted some WeatherLink files from 2011, it saved them to /Users/(username)/Library/LWCData/Location1/2011/

After running the importer the following will need to be done to the converted data files:

The files need to be renamed from *_LWC_Data.lw2 to *_WeatherCat.cat, leave the number at the beginning of the filename.

Replace the header (first 9 lines of text) at the beginning of each file with header lines from a WeatherCat data file. I don't remember if this was required in order for WeatherCat to use the converted data files or not, but I did it as a precaution.

Here is what the data converter looks like running on OS X 10.6:

Converted data files:

Ryan Hothersall, oldcolonel, wurzelmac, AlexisT and any other WeatherCat users wanting to import their WeatherLink data:

If you have issues or this seems too complex, let me know, we can make arrangements for you to send your WeatherLink data to me and I'll convert it.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 02:48:30 AM »
Thank you very much for sharing this Dave13.
Blick

AlexisT

• Calm
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 08:11:15 PM »
Thanks a lot.

I've tried so far.  I still have an iMac running on OS X 10.6.  But to run LWC I got problems with USB to recognize the Vantage Pro 2. As mentioned in the LWC manual, I've tried to update USB to Serial converters with Silabs VCP drivers.  Unfortunately, the current version available for download needs at least OS X 10.9.

I look to find older version of VCP drivers but without success so far.  In case you would know how to solve it, thanks by advance.

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
AlexisT,

Connecting your weather station to LWC is not necessary, you can run it with an unconnected station and convert your WeatherLink data.

When I first ran LWC, on the Station Communications prompt, I chose "Davis Vantage/Pro/Pro2...", left the rest blank and hit Done. After that another prompt popped up saying "No Weather Station Found", I selected Run and LWC started. It took about a minute for the LWC main window to appear. A prompt to do the initial setup appeared, I selected No, then went to Tools, LWC Importer.

To extract the LWC Importer and run it directly do the following:

Open the LWC2.1⁩.dmg, click on Lightsoft Weather Center, right-click the LWC2 app and choose "Show Package Contents".
Go to /Contents⁩/Resources⁩/LWCPlugIns⁩/Importer.bundle⁩, right-click and choose "Show Package Contents".
Go to /Contents⁩/Resources⁩, copy the LWC_importer app to your desktop and run it there.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
x2!! (Re: Proper data import for Davis WeatherLink)
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 11:12:51 PM »
Thank you very much for sharing this Dave13.

x2!!

AlexisT

• Calm
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 12:23:25 PM »
Thanks, thanks, thanks.

It succeeds.  I had to run twice, the first time I got error messages on number of days.  I took another BU of wlk file, and I got it.  I only have a little issue it seems with barometric pressure the first 3 months this year.

Your solution is really working.  I had the chance to still have a Mac running on OS X 10.6.
I only have now to change the trial period to a licence.

Great job !!!

PS Nevertheless, it still would be great to have a proper import function directly in the soft.

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 05:28:22 PM »
You?re welcome, glad to hear you got your WeatherLink data converted.

You can edit your WeatherCat data files to fix the incorrect barometer data. Don?t use the MacOS TextEdit app, it can change the formatting of the files which can cause issues. Use BBEdit, it will preserve the formatting.

My method of editing is to make a copy of the data file(s) in another folder to edit them, also make an additional backup copy in case something goes wrong. After editing, exit WeatherCat if it is running, replace the original data file(s) with the edited data file(s) and delete the corresponding .hrs file(s). This will trigger WeatherCat to read the edited file(s) when you run it.

BBEdit is a paid app but the basic editing features work in ?free mode?. You can get it in the Mac App Store or on the developer?s website here: https://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.html

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear AlexisT, Dave13, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

It succeeds.
. . . . .

Great job !!!

Glad to hear that you were able to import all that data AlexisT and thanks for all the helpful advice Dave13!   ThU32:-)

We like happy endings around here!  [bounce]

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
Re: Happy ending! (Re: Proper data import for Davis WeatherLink)
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 12:25:57 AM »
When I switched to WeatherCat, I had the issue of needing to bring over around 9 years worth of data from Weather Display. Another WeatherCat user on this forum, Hugh Whalen, was more than happy to help.

I was glad to return the favor and help out a new WeatherCat user bring over their existing weather data.