Author Topic: RS232 to USB Driver?  (Read 6226 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Driver software interfering? (Re: RS232 to USB Driver?)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 10:40:25 PM »
Dear SRS, Phillip, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Phillip,  Thanks does it matter what type rs232 connector you need?(https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers).    I purchased a new sabrent USB to serial connector with a prolific chip so i down loaded the latest driver from prolific and Im still haveing NO luck.  When I start up weathercat it keeps coming up no weather station found??  Any other ideas??

According to the Amazon webpage that I pointed you to, no drivers are necessary.  You should be able to simply plug the Sabrent dongle and it should work.  Perhaps the software drivers that you have installed are interfering with the dongle and that is why it isn't working?  Could you try to uninstall the drivers and see?  Usually the driver installer also has an uninstaller.

Let us know what you uncover.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
  • Station Details: OS WMR968 / WeatherCat
Re: RS232 to USB Driver?
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 03:35:53 PM »
I HAVE GOOD NEWS!!!!!! First and most important THANK YOU to each and everyone of you who responded with your recommendations, suggestions, ideas, and advise.  I read, went through, and tried each one of them so THANK YOU.  Late last night I was able to get WeatherCat and my weather station to communicate and up and running on my new mac YA!!  However, I honestly could not tell you which one recommendations or suggestions worked and Im sorry about that.  I upgraded, I down loaded, I texted, I emailed, I searched the web, I watched videos, I read articles, I went to places on my mac that the average mac user shouldn't go, I deleted and uninstalled, I unplugged, I plugged back in, I restarted, I rebooted, and I did all these things and more several times but some how late last night around 1145 IT WORKED!! and is still up and running this morning. AGAIN THANK YOU!!!  Happy Weather Watcher  SRS

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Congratulations! Eventual upgrade? (Re: RS232 to USB Driver?)
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 11:52:25 PM »
Dear SRS and WeatherCat users who like a happy ending,

I HAVE GOOD NEWS!!!!!! First and most important THANK YOU to each and everyone of you who responded with your recommendations, suggestions, ideas, and advise. 

Well you are most welcome!  :)

. . . . . .
I did all these things and more several times but some how late last night around 1145 IT WORKED!! and is still up and running this morning. AGAIN THANK YOU!!!  Happy Weather Watcher  SRS

I'm glad that you are now back in business.   [tup]

However, this might be a good time for you to start saving those pennies in your piggy bank to eventually upgrade your weather station from your Oregon Scientific WMR968.  I don't remember when these stations were discontinued, but your's must now be quite old.  My first weather station was a WMR968 and the anemometer only lasted a year!  Clearly you having much better luck than I did, but it is always wise not to press your good fortune too long!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: RS232 to USB Driver?
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 07:30:06 AM »
I HAVE GOOD NEWS!!!!!!

Glad you are back online and I know you are relieved. This is a great forum, quite different than many today.
Blick