Weather > Weather Hardware/Measurement

Troubleshooting resources for Davis weather stations

(1/5) > >>

elagache:
Dear WeatherCat Davis owners,

This thread is to list all the resources we have found helpful in taking care of our Davis Instruments weather stations.  It is sticky to make it easier to find for newcomers.

First and foremost is our troubleshooting guide on the WeatherCat Wiki (which not everyone may know about.)

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Davis

It includes links to the following two resources.  The first is the obviously useful Davis Instruments weather station support page:

http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/

This page includes links to the Davis knowledge base, downloadable documentation, software updates, hardware specifications, installation guides and much more.

The less obvious resource is the Davis Instrument channel on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/davisinstruments

Here you'll find videos on performing maintenance on your Davis equipment.

Please suggest additional resources and I'll be glad to add them!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

bcurry:
Hi all,
I didn't know if this is the place for this, please move if necessary...
My Davis Vantage Pro 2 was showing flaky humidity (again - I have replaced the sensor 3 years ago...), but this time the temperature was correct and well within the norms. It was pouring rain here and the Hum showed 79%, so I read the manual and adjusted (calibrated) the Hum to 95% (thus the resource is that the manual covers this!  8)
Just a question - have others had to do this?
I hope it's not another flaky Hum sensor or something, but the calibration seems, so far, to work. I had noted that MADIS had my Relative Hum/Dewpoint off a bit (two thumbs but a red check), maybe this will help?
I'm always nervous about adjusting things, but when the airport and all other stations were reading 90% or higher and mine was at 60% something definitely off...
Thanks for thoughts,
Bill

elagache:
Dear Bill and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

--- Quote from: bcurry on May 02, 2017, 12:50:42 PM ---My Davis Vantage Pro 2 was showing flaky humidity (again - I have replaced the sensor 3 years ago...), but this time the temperature was correct and well within the norms. It was pouring rain here and the Hum showed 79%, so I read the manual and adjusted (calibrated) the Hum to 95% (thus the resource is that the manual covers this!  8)
Just a question - have others had to do this?

--- End quote ---

I'm not aware of anyone else having to adjust the humidity setting.  Since you had trouble with humidity before, it could be a sign of a sensor going bad once more.  Keep an eye on it.  So long as the values seem reasonable - no reason to do anything else.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11:
Bill:

I have followed the Davis manual for calibrating internal humidity but not external. Once I set the calibration setting, I have not had to continue to adjust it.

mcrossley:
The Sensiron humidity sensor can be susceptible to contamination - especially as Davis chose not to protect it with a permeable membrane**, they just use a wire mesh! - this normally manifests itself as a lower than normal RH reading. I watched some of mine drift lower as the contamination gets worse.

You may be able to revive it by following the Sensiron cleaning procedure - washing it with de-ionised water and then following the reconditioning procedure***. Though I have had good results just washing a sensor, then leaving in a centrally heated room for a day.

** SHT1x does not contain a membrane at the sensor opening. However, a membrane may be added to prevent dirt and droplets from entering the housing and to protect the sensor. It will also reduce peak concentrations of chemical vapors. For optimal response times the air volume behind the membrane must be kept minimal. Sensirion recommends and supplies the SF1 filter cap for optimal IP54 protection (for higher protection ? i.e. IP67 - SF1 must be sealed to the PCB with epoxy).

*** The following reconditioning procedure may bring the sensor back to calibration state:
Baking: 100 ? 105?C at < 5%RH for 10h
Re-Hydration: 20 ? 30?C at ~ 75%RH for 12h

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version