Author Topic: Version 3.04 Build 91 Crashes?  (Read 33316 times)

rasarisi

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0704
    • KCTBETHA4
    • BlueBirds Knoll
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless & Vantage Vue Wirelless Console
Version 3.04 Build 91 Crashes?
« on: July 24, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
I keep getting warning popups from MacOS that WeatherCat has crashed.  I checked the console logs and notice that I see crash logs for 6/26 6/27 7/1 7/22

Not sure what it's about but I will attach a log

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need Stu to check this out. (Re: Version 3.04 Build 91 Crashes?)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 11:14:48 PM »
Dear Rich and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I keep getting warning popups from MacOS that WeatherCat has crashed.  I checked the console logs and notice that I see crash logs for 6/26 6/27 7/1 7/22

Not sure what it's about but I will attach a log

I took a quick look at the log hoping I might spot something obvious, but my feeble understanding macOS errors isn't even close to deciphering this sort of thing.  We'll have to wait for Stu to come up for air and use his development environment to ferret out what's going on here.

Cheers, Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Version 3.04 Build 91 Crashes?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 12:41:18 AM »
Hi rich and Edouard
 I had a problem like that a few years back and it was a corrupt preference file.
Have tried deleting and trashing it then redoing it.
Not saying thats it but may be worth a try.
if you delete it empty the trash before you redo it.
just a suggestion

cheers

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »
A corrupt WeatherCat preference file has been known to cause problems. I think Randall's suggestion is worth a try. However, because macOS caches that file, you have to take an extra step to actually get rid of it. If you just delete it, the old file will simply be replaced from the cache, and if it is corrupt, it will still be corrupt. Before you delete your pfile, make sure you have documented your settings so you can quickly reset them, and then follow this procedure:
  • Shut down WeatherCat
  • Locate and delete com.trixology.weathercat.plist
  • Empty trash
  • Restart your computer
  • Restart WeatherCat
  • Redo your WC Preferences
After you have tried this, whether or not it solves your problem, you will know that you have a clean preference file. At that point, simply duplicate that plist file. This will give you a file named com.trixology.weathercat.plist copy. The next time you have to delete the original and start over, it will be much simpler to replace it, using this procedure:
  • Shut down WeatherCat
  • Empty trash
  • Rename com.trixology.weathercat.plist copy to com.trixology.weathercat.plist
  • Restart your computer
  • Restart WeatherCat
It is much easier to rename your duplicate good plist file than go through all the preferences and re-establish them.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Time Machine backup? (Re: Version 3.04 Build 91 Crashes?)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 10:52:07 PM »
Dear Randall, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I had a problem like that a few years back and it was a corrupt preference file.
Have tried deleting and trashing it then redoing it.

Good idea on checking for a corrupted preference file.  If you have Time Machine or another backup system with incremental backups, you might try replacing your preference file with an older copy that you are confident predates your problems instead of having to enter all your preferences "manually."  Blick's procedure for replacement the file still applies but that would save you a little time if you can fish out an undamaged copy.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

rasarisi

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0704
    • KCTBETHA4
    • BlueBirds Knoll
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless & Vantage Vue Wirelless Console
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 12:48:55 AM »
Thanks guys - I'll give it a shot in the next few days

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 09:05:15 PM »
Hi Blick, Edouard, and Rich
 1st Blick thats what I meant to say yes you need to do all that to get it work thanks for going and putting in all the information,
Getting old and don't remember as well as I use too

thanks

Hope it solves your problem Rick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 11:50:19 PM »
Actually, I just reread the lists I used and I got the name of the file wrong that is created when you use the macOS Duplicate command.

My second list above should read:
After you have tried this, whether or not it solves your problem, you will know that you have a clean preference file. At that point, simply duplicate that plist file. This will give you a file named com.trixology.weathercat copy.plist. The next time you have to delete the original and start over, it will be much simpler to replace it, using this procedure:
  • Shut down WeatherCat
  • Empty trash
  • Rename com.trixology.weathercat copy.plis to com.trixology.weathercat.plist
  • Restart your computer
  • Restart WeatherCat
Blick

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 12:20:14 PM »
Good list of steps, Blick.

Since this thread will undoubtedly be found when new users do forum searches on "pref file" or similar strings, I might save them a bit of search time by pointing out where to find WeatherCat's pref file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist

Also, I might point out that you wrote a superb Wiki file on the subject a couple years ago which goes into even more detail:

https://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=How_to_create_and_use_a_backup_of_your_WeatherCat_preferences_file

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 02:24:36 AM »
Felix:

Hahahahahaha. I completely forgot about that wiki article. In fact, I have been telling myself, as many times as we repeat this, I should really just bite the bullet and document it in the Wiki. I had to click on your link to see that it actually got done. Thanks for remembering what I already forgot.
Blick