Author Topic: UK Met Office WOW upload - Pressure correction  (Read 2871 times)

Ruyton

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISHROPSH19
    • Shotatton Weather
  • Station Details: Davie Vantage Vue
UK Met Office WOW upload - Pressure correction
« on: May 17, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »
I've managed to get the Applescript working to upload data to the UK Met Office WOW site.

However, if I set the site elevation on the WOW website, then I seem to get 2 elevation pressure adjustments.

For Example:

- Weather station shows 996.2 mb (abs - i.e. absolute pressure at site)

- Site elevation is 96 metres and WeatherCat adjusts this to 1007.48 which is correct

- It I set WOW site elevation to 96 meters, I get Pressure (at station) as 1007.2 and Mean Sea Level Pressure as 1016.8 (these figures are actually approximate as I didn't write them down at the time, but I'm sure you get my drift)

If I set the WOW site elevation to zero, then I do get the correct Mean Sea Level Pressure of 1007.2, but of course the station pressure shows the same (1007.2) as elevation is set to zero.

The weather station is a 'cheap and nasty' Gadget/W-8681 type 'clone', but it does seem to be feeding the correct site pressure (absolute) to WeatherCat.  I checked adjacent aviation met observations and the mean sea level pressure is around 1007 mbs.

Regards
Gary

Met Office WOW Site
Shotatton (50779022)
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Ruyton

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISHROPSH19
    • Shotatton Weather
Re: UK Met Office WOW upload - Pressure correction
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »
I might have answered my own question here!

Met Office WOW site had 'Pressure at Station Captured' selected rather than 'Mean Sea Level Pressure Captured' set as the option.

Site elevation re-entered on WOW site and 'Mean Sea Level Captured' selected - watching to see what happens.

I'm guessing that WeatherCat is sending the 'relative' elevation adjusted pressure to the WOW site.

Regards

Gary

Note: OK, all that does is hide the 'Pressure at Station' reading, but I can live with that.

Now I need to work out why the wind speed and direction don't seem to be displaying on the WOW site  :D

Note 2: Wind speed and direction IS going to the WOW site, so all is OK!
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad you worked out your problems! (Re: UK Met Office WOW upload)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »
Hi Gary and WeatherCat fans,

I might have answered my own question here!

. . . . . .

Note: OK, all that does is hide the 'Pressure at Station' reading, but I can live with that.

There may be a problem with uploading to WoW with personal weather stations that do not provide some way to in incorporate your elevation.  This Met Office may prefer data coming from a station that least has that feature.  I personally agree with that as a minimal condition.

Now I need to work out why the wind speed and direction don't seem to be displaying on the WOW site  :D

Note 2: Wind speed and direction IS going to the WOW site, so all is OK!

Glad you seem to be up and running.  These AppleScripts are rough-cut but have been working for years now, so they get the job done.

cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Ruyton

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISHROPSH19
    • Shotatton Weather
Re: UK Met Office WOW upload - Pressure correction
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »
Thanks Edouard,

WeatherCat is rapidly becoming indispensable to me, so registration will be happening soon!

Regards

Gary
Gary - Shrewsbury UK