Author Topic: Welcome back Stu!! - How was your holiday?  (Read 2291 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome back Stu!! - How was your holiday?
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »
Dear WeatherCat forum welcoming committee,

Definitely time to:

Welcome back Stu!!

Any interesting stories from your adventures in the wilderness?

Curious minds would like to know!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Welcome back Stu!! - How was your holiday?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
Thanks - it was very relaxing.

Only had one slightly 'non-relaxing' moment when the top hose blew off the radiator and emptied all the coolant rather rapidly* midway across a large roundabout. Had no chance of getting a new hose (one of those quick-fit, push on type connectors with feeds coming off the hose for the auto-box cooler and alternator cooling) so a 2 inch jubilee clip and some antifreeze soon had us going again.

Apart from that it was great - Yorkshire, Norfolk, Witshire, Devon and Cornwall - all in, 2100 miles over two weeks. Only real bad weather we had was the mid-weekend when the remains of hurricane Bertha came over - had to actually stop on the motorway due to heavy rain/hail - apart from the, pretty good weather. Was surprised at how cold Scotland is when we finally returned :)

*Actually, I'd say it was 'extremely' rapidly - the engine runs at 105 ?C and the coolant left the engine pretty sharpish. Everything got covered including the windscreen.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
2100 miles!?!?!! - WOW!! (Re: How was your holiday?)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:56:36 PM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat "cavaran" vacation daydreamers  [sleep]

Only had one slightly 'non-relaxing' moment when the top hose blew off the radiator and emptied all the coolant rather rapidly* midway across a large roundabout. Had no chance of getting a new hose (one of those quick-fit, push on type connectors with feeds coming off the hose for the auto-box cooler and alternator cooling) so a 2 inch jubilee clip and some antifreeze soon had us going again.

Gulp!!   That does sound rather traumatic!  Glad you were able to patch the hose and get on with it!   ;) . . . . Where did you learn your machinery repair patching techniques?  The space station? . . .  [lol2]

Apart from that it was great - Yorkshire, Norfolk, Witshire, Devon and Cornwall - all in, 2100 miles over two weeks. Only real bad weather we had was the mid-weekend when the remains of hurricane Bertha came over - had to actually stop on the motorway due to heavy rain/hail - apart from the, pretty good weather. Was surprised at how cold Scotland is when we finally returned :)

Wow!  You must have been averaging ~150 miles of driving a day!  I guess you must be really comfortable in your Land Rover!  If I ever manage go get my trusty wagon resuscitated and find a nice vintage Airstream trailer, I sure would like to make a multi-thousand mile tour of the United States.  However, I don't think I'd be able to keep up with your pace!

Glad you had a great time!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]