Author Topic: Navdy - Head-up Display  (Read 4794 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Navdy - Head-up Display
« on: August 05, 2014, 05:25:31 PM »
A startup firm in San Fransisco is pre-selling (US$319) a portable head-up display unit that uses the OBD II port in your car and an app on your iPhone to project info onto your windscreen (windshield). Doesn't look much safer to me than texting whilst driving, but the technology is cool.

Here is an article in Wired: http://www.wired.com/2014/08/navdy-hud/

Here is the video made by the company to demonstrate the technology: https://www.navdy.com
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Cool but risky - Siri anyone? (Re: Navdy - Head-up Display)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 09:33:29 PM »
Hi Blick and WeatherCat technology watchers,

A startup firm in San Fransisco is pre-selling (US$319) a portable head-up display unit that uses the OBD II port in your car and an app on your iPhone to project info onto your windscreen (windshield). Doesn't look much safer to me than texting whilst driving, but the technology is cool.

Thanks for the info, but I agree with you it is a risky technology to deploy.  I fear there are - way - too many fighter pilot wannabees and our roads will become that much more risky for the sake of these cheap thrill-seekers.

I'm curious if anybody in the WeatherCat community has used Siri while driving for things like getting directions to a destination?  My phone is too old for Siri, but I'm one of those in line for the iPhone 6.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Cool but risky - Siri anyone? (Re: Navdy - Head-up Display)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
I'm curious if anybody in the WeatherCat community has used Siri while driving for things like getting directions to a destination?  My phone is too old for Siri, but I'm one of those in line for the iPhone 6
Actually, I use Siri to get directions all the time. In Utah, it is against the law for the driver of a vehicle to activate a mobile device whilst driving. So I use Siri to find directions either before I start to drive, or I pull over and engage Siri, then drive back onto the road. These two actions are legal. In the last year, Apple Maps has steered me wrong only twice. The accuracy of Apple Maps is much improved over its debacle of a debut.

Another way I get directions in to find my destination address on the iMac and paste it into my calendar. Then in the car, I simply pull it up in the Calendar and then tell Apple Maps to take me there. Works very well.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: Navdy - Head-up Display
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 06:25:36 PM »
Another way I get directions in to find my destination address on the iMac and paste it into my calendar. Then in the car, I simply pull it up in the Calendar and then tell Apple Maps to take me there. Works very well.

Another way is to use the Maps application on your Mavericks (OS X 10.9) Mac and send it to your iPhone. Open Maps on your iPhone and the route is already plotted out for you.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Other ways to call up Siri. (Was: Navdy)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 09:19:07 PM »
Hi Blick, Grand, and WeatherCat mobile operators,

Actually, I use Siri to get directions all the time. In Utah, it is against the law for the driver of a vehicle to activate a mobile device whilst driving. So I use Siri to find directions either before I start to drive, or I pull over and engage Siri, then drive back onto the road. These two actions are legal. In the last year, Apple Maps has steered me wrong only twice. The accuracy of Apple Maps is much improved over its debacle of a debut.

That's good to know!  Is it illegal in Utah to invoke Siri even?  Does that count as activating the phone?  There are two new ways to call-up Siri in the pipeline.  Some stereos use the call button as a Siri activation button.  The new Kenwood stereo in our 2000 Buick Century works that way.  For my trusty wagon, I was thinking about getting this little device - Mobile Home:

http://www.drivewithsiri.com/

It replicates the iPhone home button so that you can press a button say on your sun visor and bring up Siri.  Either way, you wouldn't be taking your eyes off the road.  Of course in iOS 8 we are supposed to be able to just speak into the microphone and Siri is supposed to wake up and listen.  I'm not sure if that will work very well if there is much road noise.

Another way is to use the Maps application on your Mavericks (OS X 10.9) Mac and send it to your iPhone. Open Maps on your iPhone and the route is already plotted out for you.

Hmm, thanks for the tip!  [tup]  I haven't had any way to try out all this, so I'm definitely a novice.  Sure hope to try this all out soon!  [bounce]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: Other ways to call up Siri. (Was: Navdy)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:51:32 PM »
Is it illegal in Utah to invoke Siri even?  Does that count as activating the phone?
The new law bans us from using a device to send texts, emails or instant messages. You cannot use your fingers to dial phone numbers, access the Web, take or view pictures or video, or enter data into your mobile device.

You can, however, still dial your phone with your hands during a medical emergency, reporting a safety hazard, or reporting criminal activity. On the job law enforcement and emergency personnel are also allowed to use their hands. We can use mobile devices to view GPS and other mapping programs if we did not "dial up" the address whilst driving. We can also still talk with phones up against our faces, but have to use voice commands to dial numbers.

We are allowed to use devices using voice-operated technology, and other systems that are physically or electronically integrated into the car, such as Bluetooth. We are also allowed to answer the phone if someone calls us (which, in my opinion, will end up with a lot of arguments with law enforcement officials about who dialed whom).

Overall, I think the new law is a good idea, as it removes some tech-driven driving distractions. Last year, we had 11 deaths contributed to texting whilst driving.
Blick