Author Topic: Someone missing  (Read 2519 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Someone missing
« on: August 18, 2019, 06:54:07 PM »
Hi all,
anybody out there knowing about Blicj11? His banner is outdated, his website is outdated....
Hey John, where are you?
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Serious computer woes? (Re: Someone missing)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 11:01:43 PM »
Dear Reinhard and WeatherCat faithful,

anybody out there knowing about Blicj11? His banner is outdated, his website is outdated....
Hey John, where are you?

You are correct on all counts.  However, on the weather webpage there is the following information:

We Are Down
Due to an untimely hard drive crash, parts of the weather page are dead in the water, so to speak. We hope to be repaired, restored, refreshed, and refrained (from swearing) soon. The weather is still happening, even though you can?t check on it here, so get outside and enjoy.

This info is at the top of this page:

https://timberlakesutah.com/weather/

John was already struggling with the loss of his time capsule.  If he hadn't gotten this repaired before the hard drive in his Mac failed, he wouldn't have at least one line of backup.  I recall something about SuperDuper also having issuez.

Yes the forum has been very quiet beforehand, but perhaps we should be a bit patient before attempting to contact.  It sounds like John might have plenty of computer troubles to deal with.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Someone missing
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »
It sounds like John might have plenty of computer troubles to deal with.

Hopefully you are right and he is dealing ?only? with computer troubles. Fingers crossed.
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 04:21:12 PM »
Reinhard and Edouard and all my fellow WeatherCatters:

Thank you so much for noticing I was missing in action! I am back online, and here is my saga:

I updated my iMac to Mojave 10.14.6 and a few days later Apple released something called 10.14.6 Supplemental. I updated again. This time the update downloaded and the install progress bar went all the way to the end and stayed there. Nothing happened. I waited overnight and still no action. I turned off the machine and restarted it. It would stay on for 30 seconds and power down. I called Apple. They had me boot up in Recovery mode and reinstall macOS from their server. The install progress bar went all the way the end and hung. They told me to take it to the Store for further diagnosis. This is a 6-year-old iMac and Apple was very helpful on the phone and never mentioned that I am out of warranty, etc.

I took the machine to the closest authorized Apple retailer, which was an hour away. They had it for 10 days before they could get to it, but eventually diagnosed a dead HD. Normally, I would not invest repair money into a machine this old, but I am just a few months away from giving it to my wife who is struggling along with a much older (and much much slower) iMac so I can follow Steve and buy a new one for me. So I had them replace the 3 TB HD with a 2 TB SSD. I figure that this repaired machine will perform well for her for several years. The old HD from Apple was a Seagate Barracuda, so a very decent drive. The new SSD is also a Seagate Barracuda.

I was able to pick it up yesterday and bring it home. I plugged my external dock holding a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of my entire drive into the iMac (thank you, thank you, thank you dfw_pilot for helping me set that up a few years ago). I restarted the iMac on the backup drive, erased the Mojave install on the SSD, and cloned my backup onto the new machine. Five hours later, I was up and running and grateful for a decent backup solution.

As soon as I was back online, WeatherCat fired up, transferred all the data from the logger to the app, and started uploading historical weather for the last 14 days to WU. How cool is that?

My main iMac was down for 14 days but it sure seemed like 2 weeks to me.

I am glad to be back online, and again, thank you Reinhard for detecting my absence.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 05:12:55 PM »
Welcome back!! [cheer] Thanks for the update story! ThU5:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 05:26:30 PM »
Hi John,

so glad you sorted out all your problems - at least those regarding your Mac.  ;D

And much more glad you are still alive.

[cheers1]
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad it was only that! (Re: Someone missing)
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 11:10:19 PM »
Dear Blick, X-Air, Reinhard, and WeatherCat faithful,

Once more Welcome Back Blick!!  [cheer]

Thank you so much for noticing I was missing in action! I am back online, and here is my saga:

. . . . .

I'm glad it ultimately was a routine repair, but indeed that is the problem of being away from the infrastructure of urban areas.

My main iMac was down for 14 days but it sure seemed like 2 weeks to me.

[wink] . . . . Worst than that, you lost 336 hours of potential computing time!  That's 20,160 minutes!  Most distressing of all is that you lost 185,323,456,483,200 oscillations of the caesium-133 atoms in an atomic clock!  How will you ever make up for all that lost time!! . . .    lol(1)

Once more welcome back!
  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 12:56:43 AM »
Blick,
Are you noticing any performance improvement after replacing the HD with the SSD?
--grand

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 08:21:15 PM »
Grand:

Good question. Startup is definitely faster, but I haven't really noticed it anywhere else. Apple uses a very small SSD drive with its Fusion drives that caches your most often accessed files. When they replaced the HD with the SSD they "fused" the drives together again, so I still have the same small SSD caching drive and it still contained my most often accessed files.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 03:37:12 PM »
I'm glad that you got everything sorted, and back amongst us again!

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 02:16:38 AM »
Thank you kindly, sir. I didn't enjoy being gone, but I did enjoy being missed.
Blick