Author Topic: Highlights from the 2018-19 Northern CA wet season  (Read 4987 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Highlights from the 2018-19 Northern CA wet season
« on: November 21, 2018, 11:57:24 PM »
Dear WeatherCat drought watchers,

After an extremely long dry season, we have finally gotten some substantial rains here at Canebas Weather station.  Indeed we have gotten more than forecast without any ill effects.  Here is the current storm summary:

We are around double what was forecast and the rains continue to come!    There is another storm scheduled for tomorrow evening and rain is expected to return next week.  Situations like this can reverse as rapidly as they came but for the moment the news is definitely good!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S.  I promise to send this rain eastward - by air express of course!  [biggrin]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hydrological "Black Friday!" (Re: 2018-19 Northern CA wet season)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 10:38:23 PM »
Dear WeatherCat drought watchers,

Of course at least those of us in the United States had to put up with all silly hype over "Black Friday."  Whatever it now means, originally it referred to the first day many businesses got out of debt and were finally "in the black."  Ironically, Canebas weather station had something of the same experience.  I have a synthetic channel that computes the difference between the actual rainfall received and the average monthly rainfall for a given month - prorated on a daily basis.  Until the 21st of this month, we had received no rainfall at all, so the difference from normal monthly rainfall was steadily in the negative.  The current series of storms brought us 3.2" of rain (82mm).  Late in the day yesterday, the "Diff from ave rainfall" synthetic channel finally went in the black:

It appears we will continue to be in a wet regime that should guarantee that we exceed normal rainfall for November and at least make a dent in the deficit resulting from the dry previous months.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Highlights from the 2018-19 Northern CA wet season
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 07:55:38 AM »
Drought sufferers applaud your good news.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Storms lining up to soak California (Re: 2018-19 Northern CA wet season)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:17:40 PM »
Dear Western United States weather observers,

January has been something of hit or miss as far as precipitation is concerned at least for Canebas weather station.  However, this is supposed to change dramatically as a sequence of storms is expected to bring a lot of rain to California this week.  There is a Weather Channel story about it:

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/2019-01-10-california-storm-parade-rain-snow-middle-january

I've make my inspections of the house and checked to make sure the rain gauge is clear.  Bring on da' wet!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 01:59:14 AM »
Hoping for the best. Rain at your house means snow at one the next day.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Pretty colors mean Atmospheric River! (Re: 2018-19 Northern CA wet season)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 11:42:28 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat West coast drought watchers,

Hoping for the best. Rain at your house means snow at one the next day.

It does appear that the Monterey office of the National Weather Service is getting a wee bit nervous . . . . . .

Lucky us, every color is a shade of potential trouble!  They have further revised their rainfall estimates upward.  So assuming we don't drown, it certainly should make a dent in the rainfall quota!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 03:35:39 PM »
I like all those colours. And looking at your website, I have confirmation of actual rain in the bucket, which is great news. We have had a little snow here but a lot is forecast for tomorrow, which means it must be raining at your house today. Praying that it will continue.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 03:42:10 PM »
Speaking of looking at your website, Edouard, it is currently displaying this interesting weather record:

Sunniest day on record: Apr 16, 2015 with 23.5 hours of sunshine.

Did this miraculous day disturb your sleep at all?

And one additional question: What is the difference between a rain day and a stormy rain day in your Year-over-year statistics?
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
I didn't do nuthin' . . . (Was: Northern CA wet season)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 10:26:48 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat web spinners,

Speaking of looking at your website, Edouard, it is currently displaying this interesting weather record:

Sunniest day on record: Apr 16, 2015 with 23.5 hours of sunshine.

Did this miraculous day disturb your sleep at all?

But, but, but!  This is coming out of the catch all WeatherCat tag STRECORDS$  The STAT$ tag seems to confirm the value but I don't know of a way with the STAT$ tag to get a date of event.  I took a look at the WeatherCat data for April 16, 2015, but sunshine hours is computed and I'm not sure how it does that.  Perhaps when Stu is finally given a breather, we can ask him how to fix this one.

And one additional question: What is the difference between a rain day and a stormy rain day in your Year-over-year statistics?

This is coming from the STYEAROVERYEAR$ catch all tag.  Honestly I don't know and I couldn't find the answer in the WeatherCat manual!  I'm afraid this is another one we'll have to ask Stu when he finally get a chance to catch his breath.

Never a dull moment for us WeatherCat users!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Atmospheric river beats Acacia tree. (Re: 2018-19 Northern CA wet season)
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 10:44:41 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of extreme weather,

We have had a Atmospheric river storm over the top of us for a few days.  As a result we have gotten a lot of rainfall:

The rain isn't over either!  Alas all this caught our Acacia tree when it was starting to bloom and the weight was too much:

This poor tree has lost quite a few limbs and is now leaning seriously to the south.  It is time to ask our arborist to come by and take another look.  I do hope the tree isn't suffering from a disease or something.

Cheers, Edouard