Author Topic: Cannot Find Network After Restart  (Read 797 times)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Cannot Find Network After Restart
« on: December 28, 2023, 12:35:19 AM »
I use an old iPad to display current weather data on WeatherCatPad. WeatherCatPad searches the Local network for the WeatherCat data. This arrangement has worked perfectly for at nearly 10 years.

The problem is that if a power failure or macOS update causes the computer hosting WeatherCat to restart and WeatherCat starts automatically, WeatherCatPad cannot find WeatherCat on the Local network until I manually quit WeatherCat and restart WeatherCat. The sequence is:

1. WeatherCat running on the host computer. WeatherCat running on the client iPad.
2. Power failure or macOS update causes an automatic restart of the host computer.
3. WeatherCat restarts automatically and WeatherCatPad searches the Local network unsuccessfully for WeatherCat.
4. I manually quit WeatherCat and restart it.
5. WeatherCatPad finds WeatherCat on the Local network and all is well.

This problem has occurred for WeatherCat on Ventura and Sonoma.

What is preventing WeatherCat visibility on the Local network after a computer restart followed by an automatic restart of WeatherCat?

Thoughts anyone?

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 Plus and a Mac Mini M2
Re: Cannot Find Network After Restart
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 11:35:03 AM »
Could it be that the network is not up by the time WeatherCat starts.
Putting a delay in WC startup would fix it if that is the case.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 07:25:21 PM »
Could it be that the network is not up by the time WeatherCat starts.
Putting a delay in WC startup would fix it if that is the case.

I added WeatherCat.app to the Login Items list (Settings/General/Login Items) and that allowed WeatherCatPad to find the WeatherCat server on the Local network.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 08:19:01 PM »
I love it when a WeatherCatter figures something out. I too run the Cat from my Login Items.
Blick