Author Topic: Uninstalling WC2 after installing WC3 info needed please.  (Read 1863 times)

JohnDoe1983

• Gentle Breeze
    • iquebecq10
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue, WMW200A, WMR86A
Uninstalling WC2 after installing WC3 info needed please.
« on: November 15, 2018, 03:32:24 AM »
Hi!
I need you help.

In the installation process it is said: If you have an existing WeatherCat installation, please compress/zip up your existing WeatherCat folder.

Where can I find this folder on my Imac?

Thanks you very much for your help.

John.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Uninstalling WC2 after installing WC3 info needed please.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 03:31:42 PM »
I would suggest re-reading the dialog text. I think it is asking you to compress or zip the WeatherCat.app not a WC "folder". WC normally just installs the application, not a WeatherCat "folder". You may not see the ".app" part of the name because of Apple's somewhat silly default settings for Finder. [rolleyes2]

Most applications attempt to install themselves in the "Applications" directory. Therefore, you should find the "WeatherCat" there. Using Column view (although List view is almost as useful) in Finder may make it easier to find. First, make sure the "Sidebar" is showing (option-command-S) or look in the Finder->View menu for "Hide/Show SideBar". Now select "Applications" in the Sidebar. "WeatherCat" could be at the top or the bottom of the Applications list depending on how you have it sorted.

If you still cannot find WC, use the Search box in any Finder window. Type in the full name: WeatherCat.app otherwise you may find dozens of items). Somewhere in the Finder window (depending on the OS version) you should see a 'path' (a horizontal list of icons/names) telling you exactly where the WeatherCat application is. Or you can simply select the correct item in the Search results list.

Steps in getting ready to install WC 3:
  • Quit WeatherCat (very important)
  • Select the WC 2 application in a Finder window and use the File->Compress "WeatherCat" item. You will notice that this will not remove the WeatherCat.app, it will simply create a compressed copy of it. The icon will be different and you may see ".zip" added to the end of the compressed copy.
  • Delete the WC 2 application and empty the Trash. (also important)
  • Run the installer for WC 3.
  • Restart WeatherCat

If none of this makes sense, that's my fault. [blush] Just wait a few hours and a real expert will come by and offer better instructions! [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

JohnDoe1983

• Gentle Breeze
    • iquebecq10
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 10:15:35 PM »
Hi
Great tutorial.

I will give it a try.  Thank you very much for your help. Greatly appreciated.
John

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear John, X-Air, and WeatherCat users keeping up with the times,

In the installation process it is said: If you have an existing WeatherCat installation, please compress/zip up your existing WeatherCat folder.

Where can I find this folder on my Imac?

WeatherCat 2 and earlier included a folder of additional files such as the documentation, WeatherCatClient and support files.  Many of us simply copied this folder into our Applications folder and launched WeatherCat from this sub-folder.  Apple has frowned on this sort of arrangement for a long time, so WeatherCat 3 is now a single file.  The potential problem is leaving two executable files both named WeatherCat.  This can cause the Finder to become confused.  Therefore is it best to remove your older version of WeatherCat.  This can be done either by removing the old folder or if you prefer to keep a copy of WeatherCat (in cause something goes wrong) you can compress the folder as suggested in the documentation.

A good first guess is to simply look for a folder with the title WeatherCat in your Applications folder.  If that does work, try doing a search of your hard disk for WeatherCat.  You should be able to find the WeatherCat 2 files as being somewhere else than your Applications folder.  You can then either delete or compress as noted above.

Let us know if that isn't sufficient to for you to deal with your previous copy of WeatherCat.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 10:40:57 PM »
See? The real expert corrected my stupidity: there really is /was a WeatherCat folder! [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

JohnDoe1983

• Gentle Breeze
    • iquebecq10
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 02:40:56 AM »
Thanks for the info.

XAIRBUSDRIVER, your trick was perfect. I used it to compress as directed and flush the rest.

Thanks again and go softly on your head.  [cheer]

John.