Author Topic: 'Fixed' options for Graphs  (Read 3246 times)

Graydon

• Calm
    • EW3406
    • IONTARIO591
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue & Envoy, IP Logger, MacMini server
'Fixed' options for Graphs
« on: September 30, 2013, 03:57:58 PM »
This was somewhat mention under 'Fixed Graphs'. I have noticed the scale values for the standard graphs change day-to-day, and even minute-to-minute, especially with wind. The problem with adaptive graphs is your not getting the true picture, that a graph is supposed to present, easily without having to look at the numeric scales the graph uses. I guess most people like this, but, as a past statistics user, its not working for me.
Graphs are intended to display data in a non-numeric format that provides meaning in a quick, reliable and easy way. When the graph scale changes, you can no longer rely on the displayed graph to tell you anything, unless you look at the tiny numbers the scale is based on.
I would like to see an option to 'fix' the graph scales, either with absolute max/min values, or user settable ones. That way, when I see the temperature gauge near the top, I know its warm, not 18C which is kinda cool [cold1]. And when the barometer pressure line is at the 5 o'clock position, I would know the pressure is high, and not at 1015 which it is now, and thus kinda low.

Thanks for a great application, it works far better than I had imagined before getting into a PWS.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: 'Fixed' options for Graphs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:45:43 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion - I've added it to the feature request list.

Cheers,
Stu.

PrivatePilot

• Gentle Breeze
    • IONTARIO404
  • Station Details: WMR200 with pool sensor.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »
X2 on his request.  Thanks.  :)

PrivatePilot

• Gentle Breeze
    • IONTARIO404
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:46:35 AM »
Hi Stu - I see this didn't make it into the new release.  Any insight on if/when this might become part of WC?  It was probably the biggest feature I had personally hoped to see in v2.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »
No it didn't, but the code to do it did in the custom gauges - this same code will be used there (i.e. fixed scale until the data exceeds the scale, then switch to auto-scale). I also have another request on the graphs to extend them to 4 series, so this will be done at the same time. Wherever possible I try to batch similar changes together into a larger work chunk.

I can't give you a date for this, but it will be some time in the 2.x line. Same for NOAA style reports - these are pretty high on the outstanding list as well.

PrivatePilot

• Gentle Breeze
    • IONTARIO404
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 02:30:17 AM »
Thanks, looking forward to this.  I have a few graphs (mainly, my pool temp monitor) where a range of only about 10c is needed, but WC has decided on a 30 degree range.   I'd also like to limit ranges on a few other graphs such as my indoor house temp, etc etc.