Author Topic: There's always something...  (Read 9647 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Congratulations . . . (Re: There's always something...)
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 10:55:09 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver, Herb, and WeatherCat station design consultants, . . . .

My temporary-testing setup.

Okay, that's as good a test as any. . . . .

The highly engineered, meticulously measured, and sloppily cut wall mount!

Interesting . . . .  I would have built the bracket out of wood rather than metal.  I suppose that's my bias.  I'm comparatively new to metal fabrication. 

View from the roof (looking almost due west). What's wrong with this picture?

Well, call me a nit-picker, but you didn't trim the cable ties so that they were as flush to your tube as you could.  Perhaps a bit more serious, those cable ties don't look like the UV resistant variety.

Will you finally tell us what you are actually alluding to? . .. . .

Curious minds want to know!

Seriously congratulations on finally getting the anemometer installed!!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. So what is the status of the ISS?

xairbusdriver

• Storm
Re: There's always something...
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2015, 03:53:48 AM »
You are almost correct about the Sun position sensor/follower. I just couldn't get the old SCSI cable to fit into the SIM. It's now just a (hopefully) stationary pole, but aimed at the North Star. I didn't have a compass, so I just waited until the stars appeared that night. I must admit that it was difficult to aim the dark black support tube in the very dark night. :P

That's the most elegant use of a discarded two-by-four I've ever seen.
They are actually 2 X 12! I reframed the garage door openings last Summer. "Primed" the ends and several knots. Finally decided one of the "company selected" boards was simply too crooked, but I couldn't take it back with all my "art work". Never throw away anything that won't fit in a standard garbage can, is one of my motto's! The aluminum looking, odd shaped piece is actually aluminum! It's just to keep the bottom of a real 2 X 4 from slipping off the 2 X 12. You might want to know that the four 5/16 x 3" screws holding the two 2 X 12's (at a measured 90? angle, of course) are counter sunk! Plans are available for a modest fee plus shipping and handling. Over night is extra, unless you order a dozen or more copies.

As for the ISS, it's still in LEO last I heard.   [blush]

Wait! You mean that other ISS! [banghead] It's setting temp and wind records! 84F, gusts of 26! Currently showing lighter winds from the South, confirmed by personal reports! I was about 90 miles away much of the day and saw 30+ winds reported there. Driving both ways definitely required both hands on the wheel most of the time. Unfortunately, all the gas I saved on the northward trip was spent on the return, southern return leg. Just proves "There's always something..."
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Did I miss the ISS installation? (Re: There's always something...)
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2015, 12:27:52 AM »
Dear xairbusdriver and WeatherCat station design consultants,

As for the ISS, it's still in LEO last I heard.   [blush]

Ooh, that's an emoticon I've gotta steal! . . .

Wait! You mean that other ISS! [banghead]

I might have missed the big news.  Is the ISS permanently installed yet?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
Re: There's always something...
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 02:04:03 AM »
Is the ISS permanently installed yet?
Yep, it has been installed since just before I started this thread. You didn't miss much. It's pretty much a 'station on a stick'! [lol] The 'stick' is a greenish tinted, approximately 4" x 4" X 7.166' post sitting in a 36" metal spike stuck 31inches into the ground. There is a picture of a similar device back in <this link>. It's now had a high temp record of 84.8F, lowest pressure of 29.807inHg, highest pressure of 30.411inHg, 0.49 inches of rain in one day, and highest winds (since moving the cups to the roof) of 26mph. [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system