Author Topic: Software Updates?  (Read 2397 times)

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
    • N8NOE's Home Page (WX Link of Front )
  • Station Details: OSX Mountain Lion Server, WMR968
Software Updates?
« on: July 21, 2012, 03:37:29 AM »
Just was looking at this information and still running LWC here..

((  WeatherCat is sold on a major version license basis. This means the license you purchase will work with all upgrades within a major version (i.e. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc). Upgrades to major versions (i.e. V1 to V2) are charged at half the full price. ))

Question, how often are the updates coming in?
I know LWC2 was updated but not a FULL Version.
Just a question as I'm still debating on an update here..
Jeff-N8NOE

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Software Updates?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »
Hi Jeff
 I can't tell you for sure but the major up grades for LWC was about once a year so I would think that is probably what will happen here will need to let Stu tell you that but I think he started his 2 week holiday (vacation) today

Hope that sheds a little light on you answer

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Major software updates infrequent and worth it!! (Re: Software Updates?)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 04:25:02 PM »
Howdy Jeff and Randall,

Stu is a lot more honest about a major software updates being a serious improvement than most folks.  WeatherCat isn't like Firefox!!  :o

It took Stu over 18 months to complete the upgrade of LWC 2 from LWC 1.  I believe he would like to not have more than a year pass between upgrades, but listening to his own hints at what he wants to add - Stu has big plans for WeatherCat!!  There is stuff he wants to do with this program and so he won't be satisfied until the upgrade is substantial enough for his needs.

I know that money it tight these days and not all of us have the same enthusiasm for collecting weather data.  However, I only know of 3 people who didn't immediately upgrade to WeatherCat and you're one of them Jeff!  ;)  So when Stu makes upgrades there are enough improvements that everyone is typically satisfied.  Considering the cost of the weather station, even $40 a year doesn't seem that expensive.  That's about the price of a magazine subscription and these days - few magazines are even worth that!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
    • N8NOE's Home Page (WX Link of Front )
  • Station Details: OSX Mountain Lion Server, WMR968
Re: Software Updates?
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:47:25 PM »
Good Points, and thanks for the Replies..
Yes, Firefox and other stuff just keep updating and inside LWC2 App I have custom HTML's and JPG's so updating isn't hard just something to remember.
And Yes, I'm NOT one to jump right into new software here, learned some time ago about doing that.
I have Mountain Lion on my Macbook Pro, and tried the Client, and it's running Fine, and To be honest LWC2 has been doing Well for a Long time.
I feel I should support Stu in all the work also, so it's a catch 22 thing I Guess..
And I'd agree $40 a year or 2 is not all bad to keep work going on the WeatherCat.
I also know a request has been made to allow Weather Cat to see other Channels on the software to allow the iOS devices.
THIS would be a MAJOR plus for me, Trying to keep a Humidor in shape.. External 3 will be the humidor as it's a wine cooler now, my nice one is about 3 weeks away yet.

http://www.n8noe.us/cigar.html

And regular weather Data is back a Page and link to the Graph...
THINK I'll just get it all done and support Stu's Work..

THANKS!>.
Jeff-N8NOE